Chit Chat
Options

Reception Venue Asked To Use My Photos for Advertising - for free?

We're officially married 6 days now!! My reception venue was awesome and no complaints - the event planner just emailed to ask if she could use some of my photos for their website and advertising. The venue just started doing weddings and they don't really have any good wedding photos up right now, so I can see why she asked. My issue is that my photos were expensive, and I don't think I should give them away for free. When I was looking into it, I saw that some wedding photographers will charge a fee to venues if they want to use any photos, so if my photographer is going to make even more $$ on the deal, shouldn't I charge something and if so, what?! I wouldn't have had an issue if she took some photos herself and used them, but these are photos that I paid quite a lot for, and I feel uncomfortable just giving her whatever she wants without a fee. After all, I didn't get anything for free when I had my wedding there 6 days ago! Any advice? 

Re: Reception Venue Asked To Use My Photos for Advertising - for free?

• Options
    The island/resort where we got married uses our photos from our wedding. They worked out some deal with the photographer, but I signed a model release in the contract and I was totally cool with it being free anyway (even though the photography cost me more than the rest of the wedding!) I was super psyched about it and if we ever head back there, I may use it to get a discount on the room! Every so often I check out the website just to see our pics. 

Did your contract include a release? If so, then it's really between the photog and the venue.

• Options
    jenmhobbs said:
    We're officially married 6 days now!! My reception venue was awesome and no complaints - the event planner just emailed to ask if she could use some of my photos for their website and advertising. The venue just started doing weddings and they don't really have any good wedding photos up right now, so I can see why she asked. My issue is that my photos were expensive, and I don't think I should give them away for free. When I was looking into it, I saw that some wedding photographers will charge a fee to venues if they want to use any photos, so if my photographer is going to make even more $$ on the deal, shouldn't I charge something and if so, what?! I wouldn't have had an issue if she took some photos herself and used them, but these are photos that I paid quite a lot for, and I feel uncomfortable just giving her whatever she wants without a fee. After all, I didn't get anything for free when I had my wedding there 6 days ago! Any advice? 
    JIC
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    To me, it seems silly to be happy with the work two professional organizations provided for you yet mad they want to use their success to advertise and receive future clients. 
    This is exactly what I thought while I was reading your post OP.

Ditto checking your contract with your photographer, the photos may not be yours to give past personal use.
  • Options
    Normally, photographs are the intellectual property of the person who took them - not the people in the photos (similar to any works that you would write as an author, for example).  Your contract likely gives you rights to print them, share them on social media, etc., but you may not have any say in how they are used.  Check with your contract and your photographer.  

• Options

IMO - put them in contact with your photographer because those pics are copyrighted - and you can say as much... 

Also, the venue - should have pulled out their own camera and then they can use any picture they take of their venue at any time KWIM - even if that involves taking a pic of a bride walking down their aisle for an on-site wedding, if they want pics to use, they can take them themselves...

• Options
    Thank you @MesmrEwe.  Copyright was the word I was looking for and couldn't think of.  Weekend = no more thinking.  

• Options
    This wouldn't bother me at all. I would just do it if your photo contract allows.  I don't quite understand why you think YOU should be compensated for the photos. Yes, I understand you paid for them and now the venue gets some photos without paying, but we're talking a few photos, not your entire package, and it's not like they are asking to take the ones you have from you so that you no longer have them and have to pay to get more.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Honestly, as long as the contract with your photographer allows it, it just seems kind of greedy to expect compensation. You had an event there. You were happy with the service provider.

• Options

I disagree a bit with the other PPs.  I don't think it is unreasonable to request compensation to use photos that are yours (assuming everything is already in line with your photog contract).  Unusual, probably, but not unreasonable.

They'll probably say no.  And that's fine also.  If you don't want them to use your photos, without compensation, there is nothing wrong with that.

Different topic, but similar idea.  I live in a city that does quite a bit of filming and I'll occasionally see signs on the doors for stores, restaurants, etc. that explain they are doing filming and anyone who enters might be on film and gives their permission for that (something to that effect).  I fully acknowledge I might be unreasonable in this, but that irks me!  What?  Did they exceed their budget for "extras" and now expect everyday people just trying to run their errands be "freebies"?  I'm a little joking there, I'm sure there are lots of reasons.  But still.  No way.  I'm not being an extra in your movie/tv show for free.  Super, super lame.

Unless I have to go to that particular business at that particular time, I turn around and leave because I just don't agree with that production company's business practices.  At least they do put the sign on the door notifying everyone who enters what is going on, so then it is my choice to go elsewhere. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I disagree a bit with the other PPs.  I don't think it is unreasonable to request compensation to use photos that are yours (assuming everything is already in line with your photog contract).  Unusual, probably, but not unreasonable.

They'll probably say no.  And that's fine also.  If you don't want them to use your photos, without compensation, there is nothing wrong with that.

Different topic, but similar idea.  I live in a city that does quite a bit of filming and I'll occasionally see signs on the doors for stores, restaurants, etc. that explain they are doing filming and anyone who enters might be on film and gives their permission for that (something to that effect).  I fully acknowledge I might be unreasonable in this, but that irks me!  What?  Did they exceed their budget for "extras" and now expect everyday people just trying to run their errands be "freebies"?  I'm a little joking there, I'm sure there are lots of reasons.  But still.  No way.  I'm not being an extra in your movie/tv show for free.  Super, super lame.

Unless I have to go to that particular business at that particular time, I turn around and leave because I just don't agree with that production company's business practices.  At least they do put the sign on the door notifying everyone who enters what is going on, so then it is my choice to go elsewhere. 

I get what you are saying, but normally it's just so the business can stay open for customers.   If they use only extras that means the business has to shut completely down.  

The business will not want to shut down and the production company doesn't want to pay for them to shut down because that would cost way more money than just the extras.   

To stop everyone who walks in to sign a contact would be a nightmare for both the business and the production company.  The few people that turn away is small compared to who stays, so it's a win-win for both the production company and the business.

I hear you though. I generally avoid NOLA businesses when they are filming also.  I have no desire to be filmed, paid or not.    Crazy how much filming is done there.  They were always outside our apartment.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

I get what you are saying, but normally it's just so the business can stay open for customers.   If they use only extras that means the business has to shut completely down.  

The business will not want to shut down and the production company doesn't want to pay for them to shut down because that would cost way more money than just the extras.   

To stop everyone who walks in to sign a contact would be a nightmare for both the business and the production company.  The few people that turn away is small compared to who stays, so it's a win-win for both the production company and the business.

I hear you though. I generally avoid NOLA businesses when they are filming also.  I have no desire to be filmed, paid or not.    Crazy how much filming is done there.  They were always outside our apartment.
    Yah @lyndausvi is right, it's more of a deal to keep businesses open and allowed to operate than not wanting to pay or hire extras/actors. Main Street in our town was occupied by an entire film crew this spring, and rather than asking businesses to close during the day, they posted the signs at the end of the street so you knew if you were potentially on camera. They listed the filming times so if you weren't comfortable with that you could return at a later time. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

Yah @lyndausvi is right, it's more of a deal to keep businesses open and allowed to operate than not wanting to pay or hire extras/actors. Main Street in our town was occupied by an entire film crew this spring, and rather than asking businesses to close during the day, they posted the signs at the end of the street so you knew if you were potentially on camera. They listed the filming times so if you weren't comfortable with that you could return at a later time. 

I do understand the logistics of it, especially from a local business perspective, but the production companies are still getting a free ride as far as "extras" go.  They could do SOMETHING for business patrons during filming hours.  Pay for an appetizer for each table, pay for a coffee for each customer (if its a coffeehouse), that kind of thing.

But they don't, because they don't have to.  Fair enough.  But I'll still side-eye their policies and avoid their filming, when I can.

I was more using it as an example for the OP that a person's likeness does have a value and, if she doesn't want to give up her and her H's for free, I'm with her.

@lyndausvi, I know you don't live in NOLA anymore, but I feel your pain!  The company I work for rents the bottom floor of my building out to a production company.  They are always blocking off parking for filming and occasionally close streets around us.  It's definitely been a boost to the economy.  But I have to remind myself of that a lot through gritted teeth, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

I do understand the logistics of it, especially from a local business perspective, but the production companies are still getting a free ride as far as "extras" go.  They could do SOMETHING for business patrons during filming hours.  Pay for an appetizer for each table, pay for a coffee for each customer (if its a coffeehouse), that kind of thing.

But they don't, because they don't have to.  Fair enough.  But I'll still side-eye their policies and avoid their filming, when I can.

I was more using it as an example for the OP that a person's likeness does have a value and, if she doesn't want to give up her and her H's for free, I'm with her.

@lyndausvi, I know you don't live in NOLA anymore, but I feel your pain!  The company I work for rents the bottom floor of my building out to a production company.  They are always blocking off parking for filming and occasionally close streets around us.  It's definitely been a boost to the economy.  But I have to remind myself of that a lot through gritted teeth, lol.

I know, it's crazy.   I still work for a guy down there and go twice a year.    The place is in the CBD.    I can't remember the last time I was there and there wasn't some sort of filming going on in the area.

On a side note, we got the boy in my siggy in NOLA.  The Campaign was filming next to our apartment.  Since he was only a few months old I had to walk him often and the staff all got to know him (he loves attention).  He became so popular the production company took him on set.  He didn't make the final cut, but boy did they love him.    Aykroyd, Ferrell, Galifianakis would be walking by and all the cameras were on my bulldog puppy.   It was pretty funny.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

On the flip side; some people really really want that tiny time in the limelight. When they were filming Batman THOUSANDS of people showed up to Heinz field with the hope that they might be able to get inside and be a fake fan for a fake football team for a 3 second shot in a movie. Oh and it was August and they had to dress like it was the dead of winter while they pumped fake snow into the air. None of them were paid.

As this relates to the OP; I personally wouldn't be like those Batman fans and go running or asking to be in an advertisement. But for me, if I walked into a venue that was already filming like @short+sassy mentioned (or more directly as it applies to you, loved the services offered at the wedding venue and how I looked in the photos), I'd have no problem letting them use my images. 

I guess my point is; you had the wedding there anyway. You have the images anyway- you aren't losing anything by allowing them to use your images and you didn't have to go out of your way to get them a shot they wanted. 
  • Options
    I think you are being unreasonable.

This is a very, very common ask.  I work at a place that is sometimes a wedding venue.  If the wedding looks nice, the salesperson who worked with the couple will virtually always ask if we can have copies of the photos and the newlyweds will virtually always agree to share.  Technically it's usually the photographer's decision, since they own the images, but I have never once seen a photographer refuse as long as we give them a photo credit.

Without borrowing photos from actual couples photographers, we would have to either stage a ton of fake weddings,which would be enormously expensive and greatly difficult, or hire our own photographers to cover a bunch of real couples' weddings, which would be hella weird and intrusive.  

It doesn't cost you anything to be kind and generous to a venue you yourself described as "awesome."  The fact that you paid a lot for your photos is neither here nor there, as presumably you didn't do so in the hopes of reselling them.  If you are sensitive about having photos of yourself out in the world, you are perfectly within your rights to decline.  But otherwise, what's the harm?
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

On the flip side; some people really really want that tiny time in the limelight. When they were filming Batman THOUSANDS of people showed up to Heinz field with the hope that they might be able to get inside and be a fake fan for a fake football team for a 3 second shot in a movie. Oh and it was August and they had to dress like it was the dead of winter while they pumped fake snow into the air. None of them were paid.

As this relates to the OP; I personally wouldn't be like those Batman fans and go running or asking to be in an advertisement. But for me, if I walked into a venue that was already filming like @short+sassy mentioned (or more directly as it applies to you, loved the services offered at the wedding venue and how I looked in the photos), I'd have no problem letting them use my images. 

I guess my point is; you had the wedding there anyway. You have the images anyway- you aren't losing anything by allowing them to use your images and you didn't have to go out of your way to get them a shot they wanted. 

So true!  It's an aspect of human nature that I find fascinating, largely because I don't share it.  I mean, here are so many people going out of there way to be paid nothing and have a miniscule chance of even actually being filmed with their face recognizable for 1-2 seconds.  While I will occasionally slightly inconvenience myself to NOT be caught on camera, lol.

Not knocking any folks who strive for their 15 minutes of fame!  I know it can be hard to read tone in a post.  I'm just one of those people who tries to really reflect on "why", when my behavior/attitude/opinion is different from what the majority of people think/do.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards