Registry and Gift Forum

Not sure what to register for given current living situation... help :)

Hi Knotties! Hoping for some advice! My fiancé and I lived in different cities until we were engaged and moved in together. We are currently in an apartment and have consolidated our "needs". We are unsure where we will officially be settling so we are not in the market for a house. My "to do" list has put registering on my mind and I'm not sure what the best option is for us. Is it tacky to not register and request "cash" to put towards a home? Or should we still plan to register for items (even if we don't register for much). I don't expect gifts, but I know our guests will start inquiring closer to time. Thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: Not sure what to register for given current living situation... help :)

• Hi Knotties! Hoping for some advice! My fiancé and I lived in different cities until we were engaged and moved in together. We are currently in an apartment and have consolidated our "needs". We are unsure where we will officially be settling so we are not in the market for a house. My "to do" list has put registering on my mind and I'm not sure what the best option is for us. Is it tacky to not register and request "cash" to put towards a home? Or should we still plan to register for items (even if we don't register for much). I don't expect gifts, but I know our guests will start inquiring closer to time. Thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated!
    Please don't register for cash or gift cards, it's basically telling your guests what to give you and definitely tacky. Register for the things you want, or items that you want to upgrade. Also if people ask you can say you're saving for a house/vacation/whatever. People know cash is a great gift and if you have a small registry, or is full they will wait her get the hint and give you cash, gift cards from that store, or purchase something else they think you will enjoy. Then you are free to do whatever you want with those gifts. 
  • It won't hurt to have a small registry, but if you'd prefer cash just tell people if they ask that you're saving for a house.
  • Definitely don't register for cash (or a honeyfund).  Both are incredibly rude.  Make a small registry, and people will give you cash.  If people ask you directly, you can say, "We are saving up for a house/new car/vacation, etc.  We can't wait to celebrate with you on X date!"  Otherwise, no mention of cash should be made (including on invitations).  

• We have a private amazon registry that I add to as we think of things. A decent soup ladle, for instance, or other little things around the house that you notice desiring but don't need right away. I am sure that as a couple that just moved into a new place there will be some things that pop up.
    That being said, we haven't shared it with anyone yet because no one has insisted on having it. We don't really "need" anything so it won't bother us if nobody ever asks but it is there, and checked off the To Do list, in case anyone ever does.
  • I've been married for 40 years, and I could sure use new potholders, dish towels, and bath towels with extra wash cloths!  Couldn't everybody?  Sheets would be nice, too!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Think of fun things & practical. Like nice pots & pans & cookie sheets & cooking utensils. If you already have those, look through them and see if there are any you would want to upgrade. Are there any kitchen gadgets like a crock pot, Panini press, blender, toaster, etc that you would like to have or upgrade? Sheets and towels are always nice to have. And don't forget about fun things. For example, we like to host game nights with our friends, so we registered for board games and since we have a yard we registered for yard games too. Are there any sports you two are into like biking, basketball, etc. I suggest going into a store like Target and just walk around the whole store & look at everything from kitchen stuff, to books to sports equipment, luggage, organization/storage items, fitness items, electronics (video games, cameras, etc) to artwork for your home.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Generally speaking, guests want to buy you something of good quality for your wedding, something that is going to last into your marriage. So don't be afraid to put items on your registry to update what you already have.

I get that since you don't really know where or when you'll be buying a home, you don't want a lot. Kitchen items, sheets and towels are still good options. You can put a blender in any home ;).

However, if you still aren't gung-ho on a registry, you really don't need to have one. But realize there are some people who only give physical gifts, so they will buy you something they think you'd like. A small registry is also an option. Clearly says, "we don't need much" but if gives some options for those who only buy physical gifts.

Do not registry or directly ask for money. However if someone asks, you can let them know you're saving up for a house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards