Wedding Woes
Options

I don't think it's up to you to be 'ready'.

Dear Prudence,
My boyfriend and I have been seeing each other for about eight months. It’s going really well. His divorce will be finalized soon (they’ve been apart for six years), but his therapist keeps telling him not to introduce me to his teenage daughter. I’ve met her briefly, where I was introduced as his friend, but she’s reached out to me on social media because the conversation we did have was wonderful. She and I share many of the same hobbies, and she’s looking for a mentor. I hate keeping my relationship with her father secret, and I’m hoping when the judge signs the paperwork it will no longer have to be, but in the interim, how do I approach her and my boyfriend? I like the daughter a lot, if that adds anything. She’s a good kid with a good head on her shoulders. I think she can handle her dad dating. Her mother does it a lot.

—Ready to Be Introduced

Re: I don't think it's up to you to be 'ready'.

• Options
    It's not up to you to reach out. There's a reason the therapist says hold off. So hold off!
  • Options
    Agree with PP. Does Dad know she has reached out on FB? 
  • Options
    She really, really needs to not do this.  If his divorce was finalized, I'd think the therapist shouldn't be giving that definite of direction.  But his divorce isn't.  

My aunt was in the process of divorcing her now-exH, because he cheated on her.  After they separated, he moved in with the other woman.  About a year and a half later and a few months before the divorce was going to go through, she started seeing a man, and he accidentally met her sons who told their dad.  In her state, this made her just as guilty of adultery, despite the fact that her ex was actually living with the other woman.  She lost a lot of leverage, and he got way more custody than he otherwise would've.
  • Options

I think what gives this letter a weird twist that one would not normally see in this kind of situation, is the fact that she and the daughter HAVE met...though not in the role of her as g/f...and now apparently have a FB relationship.

I'm wondering if the therapist knows that.

Because, otherwise, I could see the daughter feeling a bit lied to that the dad's "friend" she has been having a good relationship with on FB is actually his g/f.

And what about the LW?  Why was she fostering this friendship on FB anyway when the father wasn't ready to introduce her as his g/f to his daughter.

The Prudie LWs really need to start hanging out on this board, lol.  Inquiring minds want to know!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    I don't think they're divorced, and I don't think there really is a therapist.
    The plot thickens!
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    The plot thickens!

(Shocked gasp!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    And he doesn't even know she thinks he is her boyfriend!

• Options
    What's with the weird dig at his soon to be ex-wife at the end?  Maybe this girl can handle her mother dating, but something prevents her from wanting her dad to date?  Say they broke up due to infidelity on the dad's part - maybe the fact that her father is dating will open old wounds.  Patience, LW, patience.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards