Chit Chat

My photographer didn't take one single shot of my family but took many of my husband's family..

Please help..I can't get over it..it is making me depressed.. For over a year and a half, I have been planning this destination wedding alone.. I say alone because I didn't get pretty much any help from my husband and/or from his big family (of four siblings).

My husband asked me if we could hire his wedding photographer friend for the event (the same guy has already registered his brother's wedding five years ago but I never got to see the photos because we live far from each other). I agreed since for him it was important.

I understood that the photographer is closer to my husband's family since they are friends for years (and they all speak english as first language). The fact that my parents don't speak english would complicate a bit the communication (although my only sister speaks fluent english).

So I have a small family: my parents + my sister + my nephew + me..
My husband's family is quite big: his parents + four siblings + two sisters-in-law + two nieces + one nephew + husband..  

On the day of the wedding, my husband's family was just chilling while my parents were working hard on last minute details and trying to help everyone that needed attention (we were all - plus some friends - staying in a big house).

When I was almost done with my make-up, the photographer came and asked how long more for me to be ready and the makeup artist said "10 minutes". After that, my sister would be the one getting ready.

He was supposed to come back after this 10 minutes but instead, he came back after almost one hour and a half when my sister was ready and everyone was rushing to go to the church; there was not a single photo of us getting ready together. Guess what he was doing for all this time: fabulous family portraits - in all different angles possible - of my husband's family!

When he finally came back to my room, he took one shot of my nephew and one bad shot of my dad, my sister, my nephew and I, without my mom..! At this point, my mom has already left for the church (which was a 30min drive) and we didn't get one single shot of our family together (we rushed in 10min to take two shots of my family without my mom).

Since he was staying in the same house with us, after the wedding, he invited both families to the living room to show a slideshow of the first photos.. We started watching with big smiles and laughing until we noticed that we only saw around five bad photos of my family (not one with all together) and another 25 or more of my husband's family alone. My nephew didn't see himself and got upset (his is autistic) and so it upset my sister also (which has found out recently that is also autistic). My parents faces were showing how disappointed they were but they are too diplomatic to say anything. I later saw my sister and nephew crying and it broke my heart badly..my mom just got to know much later that she was the only one missing in the photo because the photographer never told us when these family photos should be taken and she didn't know about it.

I trusted he was the best wedding photographer from his region as my husband kept telling me, so I just let it all in his hands..he never once tried to ask me any list of essencial photos or never told me the sequence of them. Actually, he never said anything at all about how it should be and I was too stressed to notice this things at the time..

It has been ten days since the wedding and I feel like I failed my hard working family miserably and this is eating me alive.. All the guests were so happy with the wedding and I got loads of compliments for it but I came back from it with the saddest feeling that I didn't honour my parents hard work and disappointed my special sister.

My husband felt really bad about it but he defends the photographer since they are friends. I just cannot be myself anymore with the photographer (we used to get along). The photographer never admitted his mistakes, instead, he tried to blame the situation, saying that "my family was always scattered" while he should have called everyone for a family shot..

What hurts me the most is that I don't have a family shot with my mom..

I suffered of depression before and I am falling on this big black whole again..can't smile and can't focus..I'm very sad since I worked so hard for this wedding and my husband's family was the one that got the best memories..

Please share with me if you have been through something similar or if you know how to let this bad feeling go.. :(

Thank you.. 

Re: My photographer didn't take one single shot of my family but took many of my husband's family..

• Are you in treatment for your depression?  Are you taking medication?  If not, you should see a doctor immediately.

Years ago, I brought my baby girl to see my grandmother.  I brought my husband's camera (We used film in those days!) and took several photos of my grandmother holding my daughter.  This was especially important because my father (her son) died when I was 15.
    When I got home (1100 miles away) and had the film developed, it turned out that the camera had chosen that moment to malfunction.  There were images, but they were very dark.  I was heartbroken.  Bought a new camera.

I am sorry that this happened to you.  Did you think to give the photographer a list of the people you wanted in your photos?   This is a part of planning your wedding photo shoot.

Did you know that the series of photos taken at today's weddings are a new idea?  Before the 1970s, most people just had a formal bride and groom photo taken, in black and white - sometimes on the photographers studio, and on a different day.

I am sorry this happened to you, but it isn't the end of your world.  I hope that there will be other occasions for you to have special pictures taken.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Please help..I can't get over it..it is making me depressed.. For over a year and a half, I have been planning this destination wedding alone.. I say alone because I didn't get pretty much any help from my husband and/or from his big family (of four siblings).

My husband asked me if we could hire his wedding photographer friend for the event (the same guy has already registered his brother's wedding five years ago but I never got to see the photos because we live far from each other). I agreed since for him it was important.

I understood that the photographer is closer to my husband's family since they are friends for years (and they all speak english as first language). The fact that my parents don't speak english would complicate a bit the communication (although my only sister speaks fluent english).

So I have a small family: my parents + my sister + my nephew + me..
    My husband's family is quite big: his parents + four siblings + two sisters-in-law + two nieces + one nephew + husband..  

On the day of the wedding, my husband's family was just chilling while my parents were working hard on last minute details and trying to help everyone that needed attention (we were all - plus some friends - staying in a big house).

When I was almost done with my make-up, the photographer came and asked how long more for me to be ready and the makeup artist said "10 minutes". After that, my sister would be the one getting ready.

He was supposed to come back after this 10 minutes but instead, he came back after almost one hour and a half when my sister was ready and everyone was rushing to go to the church; there was not a single photo of us getting ready together. Guess what he was doing for all this time: fabulous family portraits - in all different angles possible - of my husband's family!

When he finally came back to my room, he took one shot of my nephew and one bad shot of my dad, my sister, my nephew and I, without my mom..! At this point, my mom has already left for the church (which was a 30min drive) and we didn't get one single shot of our family together (we rushed in 10min to take two shots of my family without my mom).

Since he was staying in the same house with us, after the wedding, he invited both families to the living room to show a slideshow of the first photos.. We started watching with big smiles and laughing until we noticed that we only saw around five bad photos of my family (not one with all together) and another 25 or more of my husband's family alone. My nephew didn't see himself and got upset (his is autistic) and so it upset my sister also (which has found out recently that is also autistic). My parents faces were showing how disappointed they were but they are too diplomatic to say anything. I later saw my sister and nephew crying and it broke my heart badly..my mom just got to know much later that she was the only one missing in the photo because the photographer never told us when these family photos should be taken and she didn't know about it.

I trusted he was the best wedding photographer from his region as my husband kept telling me, so I just let it all in his hands..he never once tried to ask me any list of essencial photos or never told me the sequence of them. Actually, he never said anything at all about how it should be and I was too stressed to notice this things at the time..

It has been ten days since the wedding and I feel like I failed my hard working family miserably and this is eating me alive.. All the guests were so happy with the wedding and I got loads of compliments for it but I came back from it with the saddest feeling that I didn't honour my parents hard work and disappointed my special sister.

My husband felt really bad about it but he defends the photographer since they are friends. I just cannot be myself anymore with the photographer (we used to get along). The photographer never admitted his mistakes, instead, he tried to blame the situation, saying that "my family was always scattered" while he should have called everyone for a family shot..

What hurts me the most is that I don't have a family shot with my mom..

I suffered of depression before and I am falling on this big black whole again..can't smile and can't focus..I'm very sad since I worked so hard for this wedding and my husband's family was the one that got the best memories..

Please share with me if you have been through something similar or if you know how to let this bad feeling go.. :(

Thank you.. 
    There is a lot of coulda, woulda, shoulda going on in your post.  You are right to be mad at the photographer.  But its also not 100% his fault, at anytime you could have called the photographer back when he didn't come back after the 10 minutes.  You could have really benefited from a day of timeline as well.    It also wouldn't have been out of line for you to be proactive in providing him with a list of shots. 

The photographer should have accepted his role in this.  He has not, I think it would be perfectly acceptable for you to give yourselves some space.  If there is an event he will be at, then pass on it.  Or if you go, you don't have to speak to him.  If I were you I'd be pissed at H.  He is defending the person who he insisted be the photographer of your wedding, only to not have any family portraits.  I'm sure he would be feeling very different if it were his family missing from the photographs.

Is this photographer, a professional wedding photographer?

Lastly, if you feel yourself slipping into a depression again, please seek out help from your doctor or therapist.  Hopefully, if you can talk this issue out, it may help relieve your worries and stress about this.

I'm sorry this happened to you OP.
  • I'm really sorry! I had a similar situation. My aunt is a pro photog and I hired her friend (also a pro) to shoot my wedding. When I got the pictures back, I realized he had taken almost NO pictures of my parents or my FI's mom. I actually have more pictures of my freaking aunt and her daughter/my cousin than anyone else. My mom was really hurt by this too.

I understand, I really do. Unfortunately there's not much you can really do, aside from expressing your displeasure to your H's friend. Which, since he's a friend, I'm not sure if you would want to do that. I would, if I were you. But this is something that you'll have to eventually accept and move on. I don't have many pictures of my mom from my wedding day, but I have wonderful memories of the day, and I won't let that spoil it. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with speaking to a therapist about this and how you feel. You're right to be upset! And talking to someone can really help immensely. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm sorry that you're so disappointed.  Photos (from professional wedding shots to random, everyday iPhone pics) mean a lot to me, so I can totally see being bummed about this!  Because you can't go back in time and re-do the day, my concern is more with your H who you said feels bad but it sounds like is siding more with his friend than you.  If one member of a couple is ever this upset about something, ideally the other half is 100% supportive.  Have you experienced other setbacks?  How has your H responded to those?
    I'd definitely advise that if you ever use a professional photographer in the future (newborn photo shoot, family reunion, etc.) you give him or her a list of "must-have" shots...again I'm really sorry that you don't have your parents, sister and nephew in photos!
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I do understand the disappointment. My photos too are skewed to his family, but that is just because at the reception his family was up and dancing and mine was always just sitting and talking so there are a lot of fun pictures of his family and none of mine. I do have the pre-wedding family photos, which we had a list for and made sure we got them all, but I do wish I saw my family in some of the candid photos but it just didn't happen. 
  • I'm really sorry about your disappointment. While I agree that you should have spoken up, the bride and groom are usually pretty busy the day of the wedding. You would think a professional wedding photographer would have asked for a list of shots that you wanted. If that didn't happen, he should have assumed you wanted pics of your family as well as the groom's, unless told otherwise.

Unfortunately, there is no way to make up for pics that weren't taken. Validation from your husband might help you to move on from your disappointment. Have you considered having a family portrait made with your parents? It won't make up for the wedding photos, but it will be a nice memento.

• I replied in the XP ... but summary is ... Your H (notice no D in front of the H!), is frankly being an @$$ here and should be standing up for your position that his buddy messed up and empathizing your feelings on this. 

Moving forward, set up a photo shoot with your family - the sooner the better, dress up, and take a formal family picture (even if this means hiring a florist to recreate your bouquet) in-studio.  I would never use the buddy for any future photography needs.  I also would confront the elephant in the room that he screwed up the pictures of your wedding if the situation properly presents itself.  If the photographer is professional there will be photos of everyone, not just a few selected people!

You're justified in feeling a bit let down, but it's also about what you do next.  It's o.k. to schedule a session with your therapist about this to discuss both the photographer fubar and the H and the situation moving forward as this is kind of a big red flag that should get some attention (and potentially counseling because situations like this are going to come up again, which is why we so strongly recommend premarital counseling of some sort as being the best money spent in regard to planning the marriage, not just the wedding!)...

• Late to the post, OP did you get a chance to talk to the photographer?

I would mention something. Even though it cannot change the past, it will help them realize their mistake and not do it going forward.

At the time, if someone noticed one side of the family was getting more photos than the other something should have been said. With my wedding, I do notice now that more photos of my family - which is smaller - than my H's. However, there are lots of the photos we wanted and we spoke with or photographer, stating that we didn't want people standing around taking family photos so they're mostly "hey we're sitting together, can we get a photo?" kinda deal.
  • We had a similar situation. We hired two shooters for two reasons: 1) pre-wedding pics of both the bride/BMs and the groom/GMs and 2) one to shoot the WP and B&G during cocktail hour and one to shoot guests at cocktail hour.

Instead of taking pics of guests at cocktail hour, the other shooter decided to make a slideshow of ceremony photos to have running on a laptop at the reception (which we did not ask for). We asked her why she didn't do what we asked her to do and she came back with something stupid like "I thought you'd like the slideshow." Um no, we would like you to do what we hired you to do and specifically asked you to do...idiot. I'm actually still a little pissed about it...3+ years later.

But outside of saying something to them and writing online reviews, you can't recreate the day, recreate the pictures, etc. You just have to come to terms with it. I mean, you could ask for money back if you have stuff in writing, but no amount of money is going to bring back the moment, so I would probably just try to move on.

*********************************************************************************

• scribe95 said:
    Absolutely your photographer screwed up.

But it's a learning lessons to brides planning now - give a list of shots to the photog; set times for wedding party photos and each side's family photos; also don't have your family so busy handling stuff that they don't get to actually be part of the day.

I have to admit, I didn't think to do that either.  But I got lucky and my photog did an amazing job.  She even took cute photos I would have never thought of.

During the reception, there were two photos I thought of that I wanted so I approached her about them...she'd already taken them, lol.

With all that said, I see now what a gamble it was to just assume my photog would take the "typical" wedding shots...or that my version of "typical" was the same as hers.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards