Second Weddings

Another bridal shower?

My first wedding was 11 years ago. I still have many items that I received at my first bridal shower, and some of them are starting to break, so we do need a few new things. However, we don't need much, if anything I'm trying to downsize.  I kind of want to have a shower because this is a new beginning (and a new celebration), but I also don't need a household full of new stuff. Any suggestions?

Re: Another bridal shower?

• My first wedding was 11 years ago. I still have many items that I received at my first bridal shower, and some of them are starting to break, so we do need a few new things. However, we don't need much, if anything I'm trying to downsize.  I kind of want to have a shower because this is a new beginning (and a new celebration), but I also don't need a household full of new stuff. Any suggestions?

Has anyone offered to throw you one?

If so, maybe suggest a (giftless) bridal tea or luncheon instead. If not, don't worry about it unless/until someone does. 
  • Yes, my sister/maid of honor did. That's why I'm not sure how to proceed. I kind of want one, I kind of don't want one.
  • My first wedding was 11 years ago. I still have many items that I received at my first bridal shower, and some of them are starting to break, so we do need a few new things. However, we don't need much, if anything I'm trying to downsize.  I kind of want to have a shower because this is a new beginning (and a new celebration), but I also don't need a household full of new stuff. Any suggestions?

I just got married for the second time. My first wedding was over ten years ago. Personally, I didn't feel right having another shower, even though it was my husband's first marriage. Also, I really dislike showers, both as a guest and the honoree. I turned down the offers I received for a shower. 
  • I would kind of side - eye a shower in this setting.
  • I wouldn't side eye a shower for a second wedding at all. People still send/give wedding gifts to people who have been married before. Showers are just parties with wedding gifts. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I also think a shower is fine for a second wedding.

But if you're iffy on it OP, a bridal tea or luncheon is a good way to go.
  • I had a bridal luncheon for my serving wedding. I want comfortable having a shower, most of the women were at my first shower, and like you I didn't need anything. We didn't register at all.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Although I don't see anything wrong with another shower, I personally didn't want a 2nd one (20+ years after my 1st).  We live together and are in our upper 40's.  All the shower would be doing is ask people for money since we have everything we already need and I think that's rude.  I always felt showers were great for first-timers and those  who really don't have a lot as a couple.  You don't "have" to have a shower but if you want to you can register at stores for the items you do want and put the registry info in your invite.  You will get cards and gifts at your reception anyway regardless of having a shower.

I am however having a bachelorette party - massages, dinner and a comedy show.  
  • LizzieyounceLizzieyounce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    countryup said:
    Although I don't see anything wrong with another shower, I personally didn't want a 2nd one (20+ years after my 1st).  We live together and are in our upper 40's.  All the shower would be doing is ask people for money since we have everything we already need and I think that's rude.  I always felt showers were great for first-timers and those  who really don't have a lot as a couple.  You don't "have" to have a shower but if you want to you can register at stores for the items you do want and put the registry info in your invite.  You will get cards and gifts at your reception anyway regardless of having a shower.

I am however having a bachelorette party - massages, dinner and a comedy show.  
    Do you mean put the registry info in the wedding invite or shower invite? The former is a no-no.  Not trying to nitpick, just to clarify. Maybe it's a reading comprehension fail on my part...

I was a second time bride, too and it was my husbands first.  We blended households prior to marrying and had a lot of things, we did register for things we wanted to upgrade, like towels and dinner services, etc.  I turned down the offered shower, and was honored with a luncheon instead.
  • edited August 2016
    Meh, skip it.  My maid of honor is throwing me an afternoon pool  party with my girlfriends.   She asked me if I wanted a shower and I told her absolutely not and even the party she is having is weird for me.  I find all the fuss embarassing now and in bad taste.  Just my opinion, and I was married for 15 years and single for the last ten.  I am an adult and have been living as one for a long time.   The fact that your things are getting old and chipped is no reason to ask your tribe to shower you again. I look at that as a one time thing.  My wedding, on the other hand, will be a lovely one, with a formal gown and reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards