Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

How to celebrate with larger friend crowd/extended family after dest. wedding

Any ideas how to have a party with friends and family with a destination wedding? Are you doing a bridal shower still even though not everyone will be invited to wedding (immediate family only)? Reception/Celebration at home?

I would like any advice you all have or ideas. And some etiquette guide! Obviously, if we did I have a registry, we would provide a very nice meal/event for guests. 

Re: How to celebrate with larger friend crowd/extended family after dest. wedding

• Options
    also we don't really want to dance/have a typical wedding reception
  • Options
    I also see no harm in having a registry. You do not advertise it unless someone asks. One of the benefits of a registry is the completion discount. At BB&B I think it's 40%? I could totally be wrong about that though.
  • Options

My situation is probably a bit different, as I eloped. So, I didn't have any guests at my wedding. However, when we got back, rather than having a reception-type party, I organized separate informal events with specific groups of people. Our families are spread out across the country, so we did an informal family dinner with my family in one state, then visited my H's family and did an informal dinner there. We then took my H's kids out to a nicer dinner separately from all of that. We tried to match the type of dinner we had to how each family typically operates- home cooked meal with H's family, take out with my family, and the nicer celebration type meal with the kids (who are adults, BTW). You could meet with individual groups and tailor the "celebration" accordingly. So, for example, if your family likes to BBQ, have a backyard BBQ. If your friends like to bar hop, have a bar party. Of course, we paid for everything, so I'd recommend doing the same.

As for a registry, I did not have a shower since we had no guests. Having a small registry would be nice and I recommend just spreading it via word of mouth.

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Any ideas how to have a party with friends and family with a destination wedding? Are you doing a bridal shower still even though not everyone will be invited to wedding (immediate family only)? Reception/Celebration at home?

I would like any advice you all have or ideas. And some etiquette guide! Obviously, if we did I have a registry, we would provide a very nice meal/event for guests. 
    1.  Only people who are actually INVITED to your wedding may be invited to a bridal shower.  Immediate family only?  You don't get a shower.  (Work showers are the exception to this rule.  If your co-workers want to have an at-work shower for you, this is OK.)  This rule also applies to bachelorette parties.  If you have chosen to be married in a private ceremony with immediate family only, you have chosen not to have these parties.

2.  Your wedding reception is on your wedding day.  It is a thank you for your guests.  You provide food and drink, and you personally thank each person for coming.  Other wedding traditions, like dancing and bouquet tossing, are not required.

3.  You can have as many parties as you wish after you return.  These are simply parties.  They will not be a part of your wedding.  No wedding dress, no wedding traditions.  There is nothing wrong with throwing a nice backyard party or open house.  It is fine to show off your wedding photos.  Gifts are not expected.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We did this, to keep my mom happy after months of saying no.  She hosted a backyard open house.  She supplied beverages (pop, juice, wine, beer, tea, coffee) and snacks, I supplied cake pops.  People came and went as they chose.  Some stayed 30mins, others stayed most of the afternoon.  We only invited those invited to the wedding, and most who attended were those who couldn't come to Hawaii with us.  Ran from about 1-4pm.  

I did have a shower/stagette.  It was thrown for me by my MOH/BFF and only those invited to the wedding were invited.  We also had a very small registry as we didn't want gifts (towels, wine glasses and that was about it) and didn't mention it unless asked.  PP's are correct about the etiquette for these things

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards