Wedding Woes
Options

Set a date and move out.

Dear Prudence,
My girlfriend and I are in the process of ending our relationship. We’ve done therapy, tried everything, but it’s over. We still love each other and intend to stay in touch even after we move apart. If we move apart. Right now, we’re still sharing a flat (although it’s a big place, so fairly easy to carve out personal space) for practical and financial reasons, and maybe emotional too—we’re not quite ready to part. We’d initially agreed to talk about ways to separate—her staying in the flat, me moving out, both of us leaving, etc.—and I thought things were going well. I mentioned moving out by spring at the latest. But now, she’s talking about living together indefinitely—she mentioned five to 10 more years! I know she’s scared of living on her own (she’s already dating someone new, which is actually a relief for me), but I know I can’t go on like this forever. I’ll miss her, but I have to move on, and there’s only one way of doing that. She insists that this needs to be a joint decision, i.e. I can only move out when SHE is ready. I think that’s unreasonable. What do you think?

—Ready to Move On

Re: Set a date and move out.

• Options
    She's seeing someone else, bringing him (I assume) to your flat, and you are still considering her feelings? That's really sweet of you. Where does she wipe her feet? Directly across your forehead?

Seriously dude, just go. The "joint decision" was made when you ended your relationship. I feel like you're willing to go along with this in hopes that one day she'll love you again. Move on. 
  • Options
    a coworker at a previous job dated someone like this. He was divorced (or maybe separated I forget) and though both ex-spouses were dating new people they still lived in the same house together. Co-worker came back to his house to hang out and the ex was there - how awkward! I think that was their final date
  • Options

I'm filing this under "People who live in a different reality from my own."

She's a crazy person for remotely thinking there is anything "joint decision" about a friend choosing to move...even if that friend used to be an SO.  Hah!  Especially if that friend used to be a SO!

But then, the LW is a bit nuts also for feeling the need to actually write to an advice columnist instead of just responding to ex with, "WTF are you talking about?!?  Noooooooo.  We are no longer a couple.  There is no "joint decision" about the fact that I am moving out.  Live together for 5-10 more years?  Are you listening to yourself?  That's insane!"    

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Nice guy =/= doormat. GTFO.

One of the best feelings ever was when ex BF called me, demanding something like a ride or food. When I refused, he got all whiny and shitty and I said "I don't have to do your shit anymore". Weight. Lifted.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    This guy needs to grow a pair and move out/move on.

My OSIL and her STB-Ex are still living together, and it's been more than a year since she filed for divorce. She "can't afford" to move out (because she's unwilling to rent an apartment/townhouse, to get a smaller house, or move to a less expensive community) so she says that she's staying until she gets a financial settlement. STB-Ex is refusing to sign anything and continues to drag things out to fuck with her. It's quite the trainwreck. 

• Options

Nice guy =/= doormat. GTFO.

One of the best feelings ever was when ex BF called me, demanding something like a ride or food. When I refused, he got all whiny and shitty and I said "I don't have to do your shit anymore". Weight. Lifted.

In this case, though, he is allowing her to walk on him by entertaining her notion that they stay living together for the foreseeable future because it's more convenient for her. 
  • Options
    Anyone else read this as she wants her cake and to eat it too? She wants to date someone new, but still come home to ex-bf (although he's still referring to her as his girlfriend so who knows how "ex" that is). You want the excitement of a new relationship, keep the comfort of living with someone, but without all the problems of the relationship.

Time to move out .
  • Options
    Anyone else read this as she wants her cake and to eat it too? She wants to date someone new, but still come home to ex-bf (although he's still referring to her as his girlfriend so who knows how "ex" that is). You want the excitement of a new relationship, keep the comfort of living with someone, but without all the problems of the relationship.

Time to move out .

Good point!  My prescription is find a new woman.  Start bringing her around all the time.  Lots of very noisy sex.  And then we'll see how "let's live together forever, my buddy, old pal!" old girlfriend is. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I keep reading how if you can remain friends with an ex it means you either never loved them or you're a psychopath. Neither bodes well for this guy. 
  • Options
    I just don't understand how she's here saying it'll be 5-10 years before she moves out, and he's still claiming the relationship is over.  That is some serious long-term shit.  Maybe he broke up with her the same way Chris Traeger broke up with Anne Perkins?

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    I keep reading how if you can remain friends with an ex it means you either never loved them or you're a psychopath. Neither bodes well for this guy. 

I'm friends with my ex. I think I loved him, but we should never have dated at all, just been friends. We work great as friends but hated each other as BF/GF.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

I'm friends with my ex. I think I loved him, but we should never have dated at all, just been friends. We work great as friends but hated each other as BF/GF.

So you're saying you're a psychopath? JK. If my ex would talk to me, I'd still be friends with him, but the love I had for him wasn't the love a wife should have for her husband. It was more like how I love my brother. 
  • Options
    My mum's parents made better friends than relationship. They had great chemistry, but couldn't - exact words of my mother - "get over themselves or their shit" to be together.

It's up for debate on psychopath ;)

Also an ex of mine was my best friend. Shouldn't have dated. We no longer speak but has nothing to do of a relationship that didn't work, he just ended up being a dick. lol
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My parents get along very well when they aren't married. My mom and her boyfriend are invited to my dad's wedding in September.

As for LW, he needs to move out NOW! She wants to stay living together indefinitely? Definite issues there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards