Wedding Woes

My brother doesnt want to bring his kids!?!?

I need to vent, so sorry in advance for the long rant. My wedding is in a year. I told my brother before I told anyone else knowing his kids (aged 10 and 8) might be at summer camp, and I figured a year is enough notice for him to make plans to include the kids in the wedding.

Before I could even finish telling him he cut me off and said THE KIDS AREN'T COMING, AND I AM NOT TAKING THEM OUT OF CAMP.

I said this is a full year's notice, you can work something out, and he just said NOPE, NOT DOING IT.

I am really hurt. I wanted my niece and nephew to be in the wedding party and to meet their new family and other cousins their age.  This isn't the first time he has done this either. I was engaged to someone else a few years ago (but never got married)  and my brother told me when we were planning the wedding that there was no way he was taking the kids because he didn't want to travel with them (at that time I lived at the opposite side of the country). His wife also wasn't going to come.
The strange part is he flies to California all the time to see his wife's family with the kids, so it's not that he doesn't travel cross country with them. He just did not want them to come to my wedding. My mom even offered to pay for their plane tickets.
He takes the kids all the time to do all kinds of family events with his wife's side of the family. He has never once taken the kids to one of our family events, ever.  I know that if this was his wife's sibling getting married they would take the kids out of camp for a day and it wouldn't be an issue.

His wife for some strange reason does not like anyone on his and my side of the family. My parents and I are baffled and there is zero explanation from my brother. He will not tell us why and pretends the issue doesn't exist. We tried to be warm and welcoming to her and she has totally withdrawn. She was cold and rude to me at her wedding and I had only met her once beforehand and she didn't speak to me then either. It can't be something that I did.  When I have gone to visit them she leaves or just says nothing to me and ignores me. I have noticed that my brother tries to schedule visits for when she is not around and will not let anyone from my family drop by if we are int he area. She does the same with my parents and 96 year old grandma who is the sweetest nicest old lady ever.

When my other grandma was in a nursing home, my brother refused to take the kids to visit her, but he took them to visit his wife's grandma in a nursing home multiple times. I have met her parents a few times and they are nice friendly people, so I don't see where this is coming from.

This is some weird thing with our entire side of the family and this certainly stems from my SIL, but I can't believe how much the kids are missing out because of this.

After my brother told me the kids weren't coming he changed the subject and talked to me about parenting today and how it's all about crafting cool experiences for your kids and creating memories that he never got to have. How about the memories of being in their aunts wedding and meeting the rest of the family?

Re: My brother doesnt want to bring his kids!?!?

• I feel your pain. ((((((((Hugs))))))))))))
  • I'm sorry that your brother is acting this way.  I always see the best advice given here that you can't change someone's behavior for your wedding, you can only change how you react to that behavior.  So you can't have your niece and nephew at your wedding or any other family events, which is frustrating.  
    If you call the house, are you allowed to speak with your niece and nephew?  Or would SIL block your call?  If you sent a letter to their summer camp, would they get it?  You could call or write to them, letting them know you're getting married and how you're thinking of them at this time, and how special they are to you.  By avoiding talking about why he's cut his kids off from your family, he's being a bit of a kid himself.
  • Not to be all creepy-stalker, but I noticed you had a nine year badge, so I looked at some of your other posts.  TBH, your family sounds..challenging.  Especially your mom.  You sound really stressed out.  Maybe your brother decided he just doesn't want to deal with the drama constantly.
  • Heffalump said:
    Not to be all creepy-stalker, but I noticed you had a nine year badge, so I looked at some of your other posts.  TBH, your family sounds..challenging.  Especially your mom.  You sound really stressed out.  Maybe your brother decided he just doesn't want to deal with the drama constantly.
    OMG!  9 years of planning?  How many times have you set a date/location, told everyone, and then changed it?  

I kind of see your brother's point here.  And no matter who it is, an invitation is never, ever a summons. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    OMG!  9 years of planning?  How many times have you set a date/location, told everyone, and then changed it?  

I kind of see your brother's point here.  And no matter who it is, an invitation is never, ever a summons. 
    Mine shows I'm a member for a year, but I originally joined as a MOH. I've only been planning since December. She also said this is her second engagement. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

Mine shows I'm a member for a year, but I originally joined as a MOH. I've only been planning since December. She also said this is her second engagement. 
    I followed @Heffalump down the rabbit hole and OP says in other posts that she's been planning this for 9 years with a lot of stops and starts. 
    I didn't go down the rabbit hole, but I doubt we have the real story. I'm thinking brother may have a very good reason to limit contact with OP/OP's FI.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I followed @Heffalump down the rabbit hole and OP says in other posts that she's been planning this for 9 years with a lot of stops and starts. 
    Well then...I stand corrected. 
  • Maybe there's a lot of baggage here that bro doesn't want to get into.

The other part may be cost.  Or it may be that they know that it's easier to travel without the kids.   We just went to a wedding in FL without our kids and it wasn't because they weren't invited - we just wanted to go solo.

• I really wanted all my nieces and nephews at my wedding, especially for photos since they are family and I love them.  My brother refused to bring his children because his wedding was child-free and that's how weddings should be regardless of what my thoughts were.  Did it hurt not to have his two children there?  Oh yeah.  But he made that decision, and I just had to deal with it and move on.  I'm not saying it's not hard to do that, but if you push back on his decision, it might strain your relationship with your brother.  Believe me, I tried a little push-back, and it didn't go well and I learned my lesson.  The fact that your brother does this more often with your family events is odd - perhaps that is a discussion with him for another day, when it's about your family in general and not just your wedding.  

• OP - much as it sucks, you can't control your brother nor his choice not to bring the kids for the weekend.  Quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up with a lame excuse to back out of attending himself given what you've said.  Does it hurt/sting and is it appropriate to feel the way you do - absolutely.  That still doesn't give you the right to take it further with your brother, let him decide for himself the extent to which he wants a relationship with any of you, and accept it for what it is.  Send his invitation as you would any other guest, and let him make his choice. 

• Ouch, that hurts.

But sadly, there isn't anything you can do about it except accept his decision.  Even if you set your wedding date for a day when his kids are with him, you can't force him to bring them to the wedding. 

The best you can do is include them in your invitation, even if your brother doesn't bring them. It sounds like he doesn't even plan to bring himself.

I get that it sucks to be in a situation like that. The best thing you can do is go on and plan the wedding you would like, for the time of year that works for you-even if he and his kids aren't there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards