Chit Chat

Going out of my mind planning this wedding

This is going to sound stupid and whiny, but I need to write it out to people who aren't involved and can't get offended about the situation.

My FI and I have had a long engagement (2+ years) while we were saving up money for our wedding, as we knew we would have to pay for it ourselves. FIML decided to host our engagement party a few months after our engagement, but before we had picked out a venue. Despite the timing, we said that we were going to look at smaller venues, probably no more than 90-100 people invited to the wedding. Obviously, FIML invites 200 people to the engagement party she's hosting. Only 100 people came to the party, so she said it was no big deal (and I'm sitting there, thinking about how everyone who comes to the engagement party has to be invited to the wedding and how much I have already lost control of my own wedding).

We pick our venue, and it can do max like 110 people, because we wanted, saved, and budgeted for a small wedding and none of our parents can pay to upgrade to a larger venue.

I send FIML the list for the Save the Dates so she can proof read her friends' names for typos and get me the last addresses I needed. And of course I had to cut people out that she invited to the engagement party (people my FI and I have frankly never met or heard of before). And she's all "Oh so-and-so isn't on here. They were invited to the engagement party! You have to invite them!" I remind her of the size constraints of our venue and I already have 120 people on the list. "Oh they'll never come. You just have to invite them!"

So now my list is 130 people. Just for the Save the Dates. And you can't say no to this woman. Though, in hindsight, I really ought to have.

Now we get to mailing out the actual invites. FIML and FIFL have friends that will be slighted if we don't invited them. So we have to. Even though they won't come. Now we're at 140. Now FIML has friends she has known forever and are practically family and she can't imagine not inviting them. Even though they won't come. 155 people. I tell her absolutely no more. I have to cut a few friends out and cut down the +1's I'm allowing to make room (basically to longstanding relationships, the WP, engaged couples or married people. Single people need to be single. Please, dear God, they have to be single). I send out the invites.

FIML comes back to me, telling me she was talking to some friends and says they never got their invites. I told her they were not invited. She says they just have to be there. I remind her there is no room. They are not invited. She's all, "Why can't they come." And "Why doesn't anyone have any +1's. It's not right. It's not good etiquette."

FMIL finds out that some of her friends can't come. She starts inviting other people and saying to me "Oh, I heard so-and-so can't come. So I invited such-and-such. That's okay, right?" I tell her, such-and such can come, but no more. I do not have room as it is. I need as many Regrets as I can get. Anyone else she verbally invites will not be allowed to come.

FMIL loses it. Telling me she only has (lists like 20 personal friends, in addition to her huge family) coming. No one's going to be there. She can't not have these friends there. Why am I being like this?

Meanwhile, I'm getting RSVP's back, and guess who's coming? If you guessed all the people we just had to invite that would never come, you were right. There's a lot of out of state friends and family I have that I doubt can make it. So I'm sure it will work out...

But let this be a lesson and letting other people control your guest list. Just say no and handle the meltdown then and there. Because right now I'm alternating between hating myself for letting things get so out of hand and wanting to drink a bottle of wine, cry in a corner and pretend I'm not getting married.

If this gets posted to a place FIML can read, this will also be a lesson in venting to others. Please don't get me wrong, she's a sweetheart. and really lovely..so long as you're not attempting to plan a party and maintain any kind of control or voicing a complaint.

Re: Going out of my mind planning this wedding

• edited August 2016
    You seriously may need to consider looking into a larger venue. What are you going to do if you get 100% RSVPs? I had several friends fly from California, Texas, and Washington state to come to my wedding in Alabama. I know this is stressful but it's only going to get worse if you can't accommodate all of the people at your wedding. 

I do agree you HAVE to say no. I learned this the hard way with my in-laws too, and unfortunately we did have to spend a lot of extra money accommodating people that "we absolutely must invite!"

ETA: words
    Anniversary

• edited August 2016
    Holy shit. Is your venue's max 110? Did you include yourselves and vendors into this count???

ETA: This isn't just a small problem to whine about. How soon is your wedding? You need to find a new venue. 
  • Your FI needs to be the one dealing with his mother. Blood talks to blood. Also, those who pay have a say and since she isn't paying for your wedding, you should have told her from the beginning that you can't accommodate all of her must haves on your budget. Since it's too late for that now, have your wine tonight, but get focused on finding a way to fit all of these people you've allowed her to add to the guest list. 
  • So, since you and your FI are unable to say no, what is your plan when you're over-capacity for your venue and can't afford the bill?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • It's more about room for tables and chairs. Vendors, FI and I don't count for the count. The venue said we can stretch to 130, but it might feel a little cramped. I've gotten enough Regrets now that we'll be under 130.

The part that broke me is when she started "trading" invites without consulting me and threw a fit when I said that was unacceptable and argued with FI when he said that it was absolutely unacceptable and cannot ever happen again.

• It's more about room for tables and chairs. Vendors, FI and I don't count for the count. The venue said we can stretch to 130, but it might feel a little cramped. I've gotten enough Regrets now that we'll be under 130.

The part that broke me is when she started "trading" invites without consulting me and threw a fit when I said that was unacceptable and argued with FI when he said that it was absolutely unacceptable and cannot ever happen again.

I'm glad to hear he's stepping up to her. I would have been seriously worried if he wasn't. I'm also glad that you are under 130 but seriously. You and FI need to have a serious talk with FMIL and do all the things @OliveOilsMom said if she keeps inviting people by word of mouth. 

My MIL did the same thing. She gave me a shower and invited EVERYONE from their church, 50+ people I had never even met, without me knowing about it before hand. She was the one who looked dumb when they asked about wedding invitations. 
    Anniversary

I'm glad to hear he's stepping up to her. I would have been seriously worried if he wasn't. I'm also glad that you are under 130 but seriously. You and FI need to have a serious talk with FMIL and do all the things @OliveOilsMom said if she keeps inviting people by word of mouth. 

My MIL did the same thing. She gave me a shower and invited EVERYONE from their church, 50+ people I had never even met, without me knowing about it before hand. She was the one who looked dumb when they asked about wedding invitations. 
    Truth!

I'm glad for your sake that at least you don't have to look for another venue. But agree with all of the above. Your FMIL must uninvite everyone who got a verbal invitation. No exceptions. The only people allowed at the event will be the ones you have in your master list and sent invitations too. 
  • Something else you're going to have to do, unfortunately, is have security turn away anyone your FMIL verbally invites who is not on your actual guest list but shows up anyway.

I think your FI should tell your FMIL that this is going to happen to anyone she verbally invited and doesn't tell that they're not actually invited to nor welcome at the wedding.
  • My problem in saying no to her thus far is our families have been friends for over 20 years. I've been like family to them for 10+ years.

So it's not that she just now knows she can do whatever she wants, it's that she's always been able to do whatever she wants for as long as I've known her. No one has ever told her "No" without her freaking out. So I know how every future event will go. I knew how planning this wedding would go. I do not envy FSIL. But I love FI and want to have a ceremony and reception with friends and family to celebrate. So eloping was out of the question (in addition to the feud it would have undoubtedly started also making eloping the long-term less desirable decision)

And I've tried cutting FMIL out of discussions, but I frankly don't enjoy being screamed at by FMIL in person when she finds out. Then the next day FFIL calls FI and lectures him about how rude, thoughtless, and inconsiderate we are. That and they're hosting the Rehearsal dinner...and the bridal shower. (Because my family is broke and his family is upper-middle class)

The invite list isn't the worst part to me. Imagine how she was about mismatched bridesmaids gowns. Mismatched bridesmaid shoes (all in the same color, mind you). My heels making me all of 1/2 inch taller than FI. Choosing the food for the venue. Making my personal friends who she's never met bridesmaids. Every time she looks at the list and sees my extended family and she's all like "Who are these people? I've never heard of them before." But if I don't invite her third cousin? Wanting to do silk flowers for the centerpieces. Wanting to play a niche song for our wedding dance. Wanting to only have a photographer for the ceremony and half the reception. Not wanting a limo. You get the idea.

FI always has my back. But we have to pick and choose our arguments. And nothing has been decided by us without "Oh I wish you had asked me what I thought" or "Why on earth would you do that that way?" or something similar.

• Oh goodness gracious. Sending a huge internet hug your way. 

• And being less than "OMG! That is the best idea I have ever heard in my life!" at any of her suggestions is also a trigger for the screaming and phone calls. I have social anxiety and am introverted. It's hard to fake being super exited at ideas I hate/don't care for all the time.

Thankfully, whenever I talk to my parents they're all "Whatever you want. Sounds good. Let's do that." I could have said I wanted to do a barefoot horror-themed goth steampunk wedding and they'd have said, "Chill. Let's roll with that." (M said that was still an option when I was freaking out over FMIL's behavior)

I'm definitely not allowing any verbal invites (aside from such-and-such because she's a professional singer who has volunteered to sing at the ceremony because she's "invited" and FMIL's friend. So I can roll with that...and only that). Anyone else isn't going to have a seat.

Thanks for listening. It's been driving me insane and I needed to complain some before the shower this weekend.

• Stop talking about the wedding with her. If she brings it up, change the subject. 
  • One other thing: If you haven't already done so, don't let your FMIL have any copies of invitations until after the wedding. Otherwise she might copy or scan them and give them to people not on your guest list. 

• As an aside, I don't mean to cause more stress, but I do feel this needs addressing to clarify. When you say you have cut +1s to "basically to longstanding relationships, the WP, engaged couples or married people," are you still inviting all SOs regardless of how 'longstanding' the relationship? Because SOs are not +1s and cannot be cut under any circumstances. While you are certainly not required to offer a +1 to the truly single, someone who considers themselves in a relationship is not single.
    Relationships they had made FI or I aware of prior to the invites being sent. But most of our friends are truly single.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Oh girl!

I can understand the stress you are going through. Vent away all you like.

I'm glad your FI has your back. I do think you both need to work on setting boundaries and sticking up for yourselves NOW... think about the crap that is going to go down if/when you have children. Yeesh!
  • OP, I know you are venting so some of this might be exaggerated but all this is a huge red flag. I literally don't know how you're planning to have this person in your life for the foreseeable future... anyone who repeatedly screams at me would be cut out of my life so fast- that's straight-up abuse.

I think you really need to consider what's at stake here. Are you going to live the rest of your life being dominated and abused by your FMIL? It sounds like a recipe for misery, and it seems like whatever amount of standing up to her or having each other's back you and your FI are doing so far, it's not working.

Do you want kids? Are you going to let her dictate how you raise them? Are you going to let her scream at you in front of them when she doesn't agree with your parenting, and model that as how adults interact? Are you going to let her scream at them when they don't do what she thinks they should? Are you going to let her poison their connections with the other people in your life because she clearly seems to have a problem with you being close to anyone she isn't personally close with?

Honestly if you and your FI are content to kind of just go along to get along and put up with this nonsense for your whole lives, that's fine- I think it's sad, but maybe it's manageable. But if you have any thought of bringing a child into the picture you need to drastically overhaul your relationship with your FMIL starting today.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards