Honeymoon Discussions

Won a trip for 3 days, 2 nights from Chef world, but is the trip worth it?

My fiancé and I attended a presentation from Chef World Inc. We were told that we had won  a contest that I entered at the bride world expo. We stayed for the 90 minute presentation, the guy was really funny and kept us entertained. At the end we said no thank you and left with our trip. Looking at the flyer he gave us we would be staying at Viva Wyndham hotels in either Mexico, Bahamas, or Dominican Republic. Hotel is all inclusive- all meals and drinks payed for. As well as entertainment. We would be paying $178 at time of registration, $100 refundable reservation deposit and $78 for industry taxes/ fees. After we pay a travel agent will contact us. We would also have to pay $39 for taxes and fees per night. I read some of the reviews for Wyndham Mexico-Playa Del Carmen and they were very mixed. Some said it was great and others complained about the employees but mostly all of them agreed that the food was alright or terrible. Is it worth going? Or should I call and get the other package- the 3 day, 2 night stay at a holiday inn, Marriott hotel in the US? 

Re: Won a trip for 3 days, 2 nights from Chef world, but is the trip worth it?

• Do you have to buy your own flights?  I'm betting you do, but if the flights are also included in the prize I would absolutely go for it.  

Assuming you have to cover the flight costs, would you be interested in going to any of those destinations if not for this contest?  If you would want to visit those locations, I think it would make sense to stay the two free(ish) nights at the Wyndham and then move to a different hotel of your choice.  But if you are only "meh" on going to any of the locations anyway, I can't see it being worth the cost to go for just two days (or buy into the sunk cost fallacy and spend more/stay longer in a place that you just aren't that into.)
  • Flight is not included. That's what my fiancé suggested stay the two nights and then find another hotel to stay at. We might just do that. I just have mix feelings about it.
  • Not worth it.  I bet everyone wins this trip.  With fees, your "free" vacation for two nights will cost you $256.  Not really a bargain, especially since you have to buy airfare.  And who knows what other catches are in this "deal".  I'd pass without hesitation.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    Not worth it.  I bet everyone wins this trip.  With fees, your "free" vacation for two nights will cost you $256.  Not really a bargain, especially since you have to buy airfare.  And who knows what other catches are in this "deal".  I'd pass without hesitation.
    What happenes after you pay and the only days the travel agent can book are next week or 2029? You can't even speak to the agent before you pay? 

No such thing as a free lunch, this just reeks of a scam. 

I agree with Joan, I bet everyone wins and then it is unbookable and non- refundable. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    JoanE2012 said:
    Not worth it.  I bet everyone wins this trip.  With fees, your "free" vacation for two nights will cost you $256.  Not really a bargain, especially since you have to buy airfare.  And who knows what other catches are in this "deal".  I'd pass without hesitation.
    What happenes after you pay and the only days the travel agent can book are next week or 2029? You can't even speak to the agent before you pay? 

No such thing as a free lunch, this just reeks of a scam. 

I agree with Joan, I bet everyone wins and then it is unbookable and non- refundable. 
    That's a good point- are you restricted on which days/months you are able to travel?

I agree that unless you would go on this trip anyway and stay somewhere else after, not worth it. I would check out the regular rates on the Wyndham hotel in Meixco. $256 for 2 nights/3 days is meh- depends on the hotel though. If it's a 5 start resort, that might be a deal for that hotel, otherwise, you could stay somewhere else cheaper paying for the whole trip yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards