Getting in Shape

anyone have any work out tips for low impact

anyone have any work out tips for low impact my drs want me on a diet i have type 2 diabetics due to weight i also have fatty liver also due to weight. i am 5"3 and i weigh 270lbs i need to loose 100+ to get to my ideal body weight and bmi but i know it wont happen overnight and i need to take baby steps.

gyms are super expensive and i dont have the extra $$$ to join one i love to line dance and beach body just came out with this country heat has anyone tried it is it good. i am looking for low impact right now as if i was to try and do something that was full on boot camp style i would overwork my body and make myself sick. 

my drs have said i can get off all my meds if i was to loose the weight 

what is a healthy weight loss each month?

i am on the low food map diet cant eat anything that is slow digesting so my food options are limited.  i am not one who sits and eats all day my weeknesses are coming home from work and instead of like cleaning i will plop down and watch tv. 

maybe organizing a walking group might be best for me we will have a few more months of good weather in new england before it starts to get cold and snow comes and at that point we can walk the local mall if we have to. 

i have a wedding to go to in july and i want to show up looking slimmer. i am at my heaviest and at my wedding i weighed around 260 ish 

i lost 20 lbs from being sick this past january due to stomach issues but that was because my diet consisted of chicken soup low sugar juice ice pops and water 

the last gym i joined i paid in full went for 3 months got sick and then stopped going i really need to work on my health and can use some advice 

my dad has joined this place called pounds and he goes weakly has anyone heard of them does it work what kind of program is it.

Re: anyone have any work out tips for low impact

• anyone have any work out tips for low impact my drs want me on a diet i have type 2 diabetics due to weight i also have fatty liver also due to weight. i am 5"3 and i weigh 270lbs i need to loose 100+ to get to my ideal body weight and bmi but i know it wont happen overnight and i need to take baby steps.

gyms are super expensive and i dont have the extra $$$ to join one i love to line dance and beach body just came out with this country heat has anyone tried it is it good. i am looking for low impact right now as if i was to try and do something that was full on boot camp style i would overwork my body and make myself sick. 

i am on the low food map diet cant eat anything that is slow digesting so my food options are limited.  i am not one who sits and eats all day my weeknesses are coming home from work and instead of like cleaning i will plop down and watch tv. 

maybe organizing a walking group might be best for me we will have a few more months of good weather in new england before it starts to get cold and snow comes and at that point we can walk the local mall if we have to. 

i have a wedding to go to in july and i want to show up looking slimmer. i am at my heaviest and at my wedding i weighed around 260 ish 

i lost 20 lbs from being sick this past january due to stomach issues but that was because my diet consisted of chicken soup low sugar juice ice pops and water 

the last gym i joined i paid in full went for 3 months got sick and then stopped going i really need to work on my health and can use some advice 

my dad has joined this place called pounds and he goes weakly has anyone heard of them does it work what kind of program is it.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but your post is extremely hard to read and understand. Please figure out how to use punctuation correctly. 

Losing weight IMO is mostly about your diet. You can work out 10 hours a day, but if you're eating unhealthy food, you won't lose any weight at all. 

Do you have a Planet Fitness near you? They are very cheap to join. If you can't afford any gyms at all, try just walking outside. Go to a local park. Walk a few miles a day. Drink a lot of water. Eat healthy. You'll begin to see a difference. 

Talk to your doctor about what is a healthy weight loss for each month. 

If snacking after work is your problem, then remove snacks from your house. I personally have no willpower, so I don't keep any unhealthy snacks in my house. No cookies, no chips, no ice cream. Just fruit and veggies and maybe some hummus. 

I've never heard of Pounds. But if your dad joined it, why don't you ask him what it's all about? 
  • Swimming is low impact; do you have a YMCA new you? They tend to be fairly cheap to join and often have group classes included in the membership. 
  • anyone have any work out tips for low impact my drs want me on a diet i have type 2 diabetics due to weight i also have fatty liver also due to weight. i am 5"3 and i weigh 270lbs i need to loose 100+ to get to my ideal body weight and bmi but i know it wont happen overnight and i need to take baby steps.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but your post is extremely hard to read and understand. Please figure out how to use punctuation correctly. 

Losing weight IMO is mostly about your diet. You can work out 10 hours a day, but if you're eating unhealthy food, you won't lose any weight at all. 

Do you have a Planet Fitness near you? They are very cheap to join. If you can't afford any gyms at all, try just walking outside. Go to a local park. Walk a few miles a day. Drink a lot of water. Eat healthy. You'll begin to see a difference. 

Talk to your doctor about what is a healthy weight loss for each month. 

If snacking after work is your problem, then remove snacks from your house. I personally have no willpower, so I don't keep any unhealthy snacks in my house. No cookies, no chips, no ice cream. Just fruit and veggies and maybe some hummus. 

I've never heard of Pounds. But if your dad joined it, why don't you ask him what it's all about? 

I'm going to agree with PP here. Planet Fitness is an incredibly reasonably priced gym, $10.00 a month isn't exactly up there. This will give you access to a few different cardio machines, which along with a better balanced diet will help you drop weight. 

Only your doctor can tell you what a healthy amount of monthly weight loss is based on your health conditions - but I will say "fad dieting" is not the way you want to go here. But yeah definitely introduce healthier options into your diet, vegetables for sure!
  • Gyms ARE NOT expensive, ill effects, doctor visits, and medication from Type 2 is!  I'm NOT a fan of Planet Fitness because I think they promote the status quo (any gym that has designated pizza and bagel days with all you can eat tootsie rolls doesn't exactly have your physical goals at heart, they're also judgmental AF).  I'd much rather see you link up with a local power gym - they aren't expensive, and the people training there are at first scary looking, but once you get into routine of showing up, the hard shell becomes the biggest supportive teddy bears on the planet set on helping encourage you to reach your goals because they've been where you're starting from.  If you want to get started without the membership, focus just on walking 1.5mi per day 5x/wk.  That can be any speed, it burns the same amount of calories.  Next, keep it simple, readjust your portions (cut the carbs and focus on lower glycemic foods making up your primary diet), park farther away from your destination, change your drive home so you aren't tempted to stop at the Human Shop Vac Cafe'!  Make eating conscious, the second you lose flavor stop shoving it in. I once heard it phrase "Eat what you want and stop when you're full!" - if you eat fourteen other foods to push off a craving you aren't saving any calories, eat the portion of chocolate bar, and move back on with the program. 

Next, drop the "it's about the scale and BMI chart" mentality.  It's about you  taking charge of your health, not an arbitrary number.  Start with a Body Composition Scan (DEXA), it's the most accurate measure out there of body composition.  It's an out of pocket scan (typically around $60) that you don't need a doctor to order.  It will tell you where your body actually IS because BMI charts are complete BS and without knowing your starting point of how your body is composed for your lean body mass to the rest ratio, the worst thing you can do for yourself is start a program without that knowledge.  It also will help you track progress because if your LBM is actually heavier than where the BMI chart says you should be you can really mess up your body worse.

Next, you need a coach that you can lean on through the process.  Coaches come in many forms (Physical trainer, hypnotist, counselor, etc.), but this should be someone you can work through the reasons you got to where you are in the first place. Often people only address the physical and the diet, they forget about the emotional and spiritual aspect of dropping the size.  This is why you see people starting strong but ending up yo-yoing or all together quitting a program when the days of grinding through come into being. 

• I have a lot of friends who are in the process of losing weight and the ones that are achieving goals and have kept the weight off are those that are setting achievable goals and being realistic about their plans.

Walking is a fantastic activity for low impact exercise. Walking is also portable so if you are away, there is no excuse for not doing it. I would start out with something like 30 minutes 3xweek and build from there. Look at increasing in 5-10 minute increments every few weeks until you are doing 1 hourx5 days a week. You can modify the intensity by including hills and adding in other exercises at a local park. Think squats when you reach a certain location or step ups on a local park bench.

I would encourage accountability by finding people to report to about your plans and check in with them. They don't have to keep you on track but you will keep yourself on track by knowing that you will check in with them.

Gyms can be good, but I find them overwhelming/intimidating and the expense can be more than needed.

My friend that has had the most success hired a trainer that she worked with once every month to develop a routine that she added on to her walking that was using body weight. It was a 15 minute routine that she did 2x a week. That may be an option when you are firmly established in your walking routine.

Good luck! Losing weight and keeping it off is hard. The rewards aren't always the easiest to identify so keeping yourself focused is hard.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    A weight loss of 1-2lbs per week is generally considered safe, but it will vary based on your body type, habits and starting weight. For example, individuals who drink multiple servings of soda a day and then stop drinking soda at all may find they can easily lose a large amount of weight right away, as that soda is A LOT of calories.

Weight is calories in vs. calories out. But there are definitely better ways to eat that leave you feeling fuller and better about yourself (less tired, etc). A dietician would be a good resource for you.

This is going to be a long and steady (should be). The best way to maintain your weight loss is to make small gradual changes that you can keep up. Avoid the "body blast" type programs that promise 30lbs in 6 weeks. Sure, you can do it on the short term, but a very strict eating and intense exercise regime are difficult for anybody to maintain long term. If you think of 1-2lbs per week, that's 50-100 weeks for you to achieve your goal weight. This is a process, and I would go into this process more about feeling good and getting healthy versus "how much weight have I lost?". Weight is a good metric yes, but not the only metric and I think if the number is what you focus on, you may get easily discouraged because it takes so long to see the number go down. Also focus on what you can do "now" that you couldn't do before. For example, that you can now climb 2 flights of stairs without getting winded.

As for exercise- swimming would be the ultimate low impact. Even if you aren't a swimmer, you can walk laps in the pool or join a water aerobics group. Walking is also excellent- and essentially free. If you are motivated you can do this on your own, or start up a group with your friends. If you want a bit more structure and accountability, see if there are any running clubs/groups in your area- they may also have a walking group that you can attend.
  • SP29 said:
    A weight loss of 1-2lbs per week is generally considered safe, but it will vary based on your body type, habits and starting weight. For example, individuals who drink multiple servings of soda a day and then stop drinking soda at all may find they can easily lose a large amount of weight right away, as that soda is A LOT of calories.

Weight is calories in vs. calories out. But there are definitely better ways to eat that leave you feeling fuller and better about yourself (less tired, etc). A dietician would be a good resource for you.

This is going to be a long and steady (should be). The best way to maintain your weight loss is to make small gradual changes that you can keep up. Avoid the "body blast" type programs that promise 30lbs in 6 weeks. Sure, you can do it on the short term, but a very strict eating and intense exercise regime are difficult for anybody to maintain long term. If you think of 1-2lbs per week, that's 50-100 weeks for you to achieve your goal weight. This is a process, and I would go into this process more about feeling good and getting healthy versus "how much weight have I lost?". Weight is a good metric yes, but not the only metric and I think if the number is what you focus on, you may get easily discouraged because it takes so long to see the number go down. Also focus on what you can do "now" that you couldn't do before. For example, that you can now climb 2 flights of stairs without getting winded.

As for exercise- swimming would be the ultimate low impact. Even if you aren't a swimmer, you can walk laps in the pool or join a water aerobics group. Walking is also excellent- and essentially free. If you are motivated you can do this on your own, or start up a group with your friends. If you want a bit more structure and accountability, see if there are any running clubs/groups in your area- they may also have a walking group that you can attend.

Love this!
  • Take a walking.  Seriously, get up and just walk.  It costs no money and worth the benefit.

I myself have walked/hiked off 25lbs since February.  (I wasn't overweight, but pretty damn close).   I live on a bike/walk path.  I started with just a lap around the rugby field.  Every so often I would set a new landmark to hit.  

For example, Whole Foods is .7 miles from my house.  So if I set a goal to walk there and back making it 1.4 miles.  Did that for a few days/week.  Then I decide to go to City Market which about 1.2 miles from my house.  Now I'm up to 2.4 miles.      Now I do a 5.5 mile route most days (1 hour and 20 minutes).  At the very least I do a 2.3 mile loop daily (40 minutes or so). 

Try and do at least 30 minutes a day.  If you can't do it all at one time, that's okay.  Break it up into smaller amounts.   Sometimes I'm too busy to do a long walk so I will just walk a mere 15 minutes.  Or I will do the 15 minutes and later in the day do another 15-30 minutes.  

The key is to just get out there everyday.     I pop in my wireless head phones, put on Pandora, set my walking app to my milage goal and off I go.

I like my walking app because it tells me how far and fast I'm going.  I find I set myself mini-daily goals while I walk.  If the first mile's average speed was 3.8 mph, I will try and do the 2nd mile at 3.9.   At least for me there is something satisfying hearing Constance (I named the voice on my phone - ha) telling me how far I've gone and how fast.      If I do not hit the goal, NBD.  

I now find my walking time to be therapeutic.

Like others said, diet is more important for weight lose.  But getting up and moving makes a huge difference.  You start feeling better being outside in the fresh air.  Once you start seeing some results it motivates you to go farther and eat better.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards