Registry and Gift Forum

Post-Wedding: Ask Guest if "Bought" Gift Wasn't Received?

Hello, all! I'm married!!

So, to the chase: We had a few select gifts that were labeled as bought on Amazon and listed the purchaser, which we did not receive with other gifts they gave or sent us. One was worth $40, so I'm rather particularly concerned for that gift-giver - although her other gifts were given in person, so I would think it's less likely that it was lost in the mail in transit to us.

What did you do or what should I do? Should I somehow ask them? Would sending them a thank you note that specifically indicated the other gifts but not this one be enough to let them know? It's been four weeks since the wedding now, and these products were not labeled as needing much time to be delivered.

I obviously don't want to come off as gift-grabby, but I know that I haven't heard one way or another about an (expensive) gift before, and I hope it wasn't lost and not mentioned to me!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Post-Wedding: Ask Guest if "Bought" Gift Wasn't Received?

• I would send a thank you note for the gifts you received and specifically mention them. Hopefully the gift givers will realize you didn't receive the "missing gift" and ask you about it. Then they could follow up with store. A similar thing happened to me recently. I received a thank you note that listed some of the gifts but not another. I contacted the groom He told me it had arrived but they didn't know who sent it - I guess the store forgot to write my message on the packing slip.
  • I would call Amazon to confirm delivery/delivery address.  The individual may have had it shipped to his/her own personal address.

We had one guest purchase a number of items off our Amazon registry, but did not receive them in a timely manner after I was aware of the purchase.  I actually called Amazon to confirm the delivery (rather than reaching out to the guest).  In this instance, they were able to tell me the gifts had been delivered to the guest's address rather than shipped directly to us.

We received the gifts in the mail several months later, but until I called Amazon, I was a little concerned that the items had been lost.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I actually purchased a gift off someone's registry for myself once. Could it be that they just really liked something on your registry and bought it for themselves?
  • edited September 2016
    I actually purchased a gift off someone's registry for myself once. Could it be that they just really liked something on your registry and bought it for themselves?
    Why wouldn't you just buy it for yourself NOT off of their registry? By purchasing from the registry it means that it gets marked as purchased and therefore no other guests are likely to buy it for the couple. Kinda screws up the whole point of the system. 
  • Ironring said:
    I actually purchased a gift off someone's registry for myself once. Could it be that they just really liked something on your registry and bought it for themselves?
    Why wouldn't you just buy it for yourself NOT off of their registry? By purchasing from the registry it means that it gets marked as purchased and therefore no other guests are likely to buy it for the couple. Kinda screws up the whole point of the system. 
    I assumed it was accidental. 
  • Ironring said:
    I assumed it was accidental. 
    It was. We had already picked up their gift and fell in love with this tiny pair of shoes that was on there and when we went to check out, forgot to tell the cashier that they weren't to come off the registry. 
  • ......ok, I understand that then. 
  • CaitFinsCaitFins member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2016

Right, that was my concern. I know one of my guests bought two of a gift they gave me (I only asked for one), so I'm sure they kept the other - great for them! I am concerned that statistically at least one of the four-odd gifts that we didn't receive were, in fact, meant for us. I would recommend making sure not to take it off the registry unless you've bought it as a gift for them as well!  ;)

ETA: Quote to clarify response.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards