Wedding Woes

The hell?

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited September 2016 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence, 

My fiancé and I love each other deeply. We recently went through a rough patch and in a moment of distress he confided in his ex, with whom he co-parents a teenager. The ex has always disliked me and pressed my fiancé to tell their child about our problems, presumably hoping it would break us up. The two of us went to therapy, are closer than ever, and still plan to get married this fall. The problem is that after his child found out about this rocky period, the teen launched an attack on me, ranging from trying to get him to kick me out to saying I’m a horrible person and refusing to come over. My fiancé has tried to explain that couples have problems and sometimes successfully work them out. We are in family therapy now, but it’s slow going. For emotional and financial reasons it’s important to us to marry this year. However, I am terribly concerned about having his child present because of how stressful it will be. They also have a history of mysterious “illnesses” during important events. How can we explain that we love them very much but can’t handle the dissent on our special day?

—Stepchild at the Wedding

Re: The hell?

• Yes, step one is that dad should have known better than to confide in his teenager about their relationship problems.  If he needed to say something because teenager asked about where LW was, for example.  All dad had to say was, "LW and I had a disagreement.  We are working it out, privately."

Also, since they are in family therapy, perhaps this is a good thing to bring up. 

Lastly, marrying for financial reasons is never the way to go.  If the financial is simply related to deposits, etc.  LW should look to moving the wedding out and simply transferring the deposits to a new date that works with all vendors.

• Ick.  Bad situation all around.  The dad shouldn't have involved his kid in his relationship problems.  That really wasn't fair to the kid.

But LW seems more concerned about how this will affect her "special day" than the consequences of joining this family under the current conditions. 
  • It sounds to me like FI is the problem.  He can't even stand up to his ex?  This isn't going to be the last time while this child is still at home.  I'm glad that they're in family therapy...I question why this woman is so worried about the wedding day.  Put someone else in charge of the kid and go about your day.
  • The FI and his ex may be co-parenting, but they are not doing it well.  

Self-awareness is not strong in any of these people.  

This has utter disaster written all over it, regardless of how much therapy they get.  
  • Tell the kid take some Pepto and get ready! 

• Morning of:

"I'll go.  I'll go.  I'll go.  I'll go.  I'll go."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards