Chit Chat

Step Father/Father walk down the aisle? Help..

Please help. I am getting married in 10 days. I will try and make this as short as possible. Growing up my biological father and I were really close. My mother and father split when I was two, but I always had weekend visits, etc. We had alot of fun. I moved about 45 min away from him when I was 12, so the visits became less and less, as well as the phone calls. I am 26 and our communication is texts on holidays and birthdays, and maybe a visit once a year.. I live a mile down the road.
 I asked my step father when I got engaged to walk me down the aisle as he has been a big part of my adult life. My mother has been married to him for 6 years now, but he has been around since I was 17. He has always been there for me and has proven to be more of a father figure to me. I sent an invitation to my biological father and he has asked that we meet this week to talk... Im panicking and dont know how to confront him with the fact that my stepfather will be walking me down the aisle. My father is not a bad man, just very sheltered  and we have never had a falling out.. Its just that I feel I am not a priority. He has met my fiance once.. Please advise what you think the best thing to do/say is... I appreciate the imput!! 

Re: Step Father/Father walk down the aisle? Help..

• Why don't you ask him what he wants to talk about? For all you know, he might be like "hey Knottie#s, I have a girlfriend and I want to bring her to the wedding." 

Do you want both men to walk you down the aisle? If you just want your step dad to do it, tell your bio-dad why. It's just the way life has unfolded. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Please help. I am getting married in 10 days. I will try and make this as short as possible. Growing up my biological father and I were really close. My mother and father split when I was two, but I always had weekend visits, etc. We had alot of fun. I moved about 45 min away from him when I was 12, so the visits became less and less, as well as the phone calls. I am 26 and our communication is texts on holidays and birthdays, and maybe a visit once a year.. I live a mile down the road.
     I asked my step father when I got engaged to walk me down the aisle as he has been a big part of my adult life. My mother has been married to him for 6 years now, but he has been around since I was 17. He has always been there for me and has proven to be more of a father figure to me. I sent an invitation to my biological father and he has asked that we meet this week to talk... Im panicking and dont know how to confront him with the fact that my stepfather will be walking me down the aisle. My father is not a bad man, just very sheltered  and we have never had a falling out.. Its just that I feel I am not a priority. He has met my fiance once.. Please advise what you think the best thing to do/say is... I appreciate the imput!! 
    First, take a deep breath. Second, have a margarita/glass of wine/shot of bourbon. Third, as someone above said you don't know what he wants to talk about. If it is about the aisle, just simply say "Dad, I've asked step-Dad to walk me". Leave it at that, no explanation necessary. 

If you feel so inclined you could ask if he'd like to take some pictures with you, or if he'd like to do a father-daughter dance with you (only if you want to). 
  • Thank you all for your input and advice. I have taken something away from each and every post. I have taken some time to relax about the situation. I am always just afraid of hurting peoples feelings, especially when in my fathers mind, he has done nothing wrong. I will keep you posted. As far as I know now, he and his girlfriend are both attending. Fingers crossed our chat goes smoothly..  :)
  • Thank you all for your input and advice. I have taken something away from each and every post. I have taken some time to relax about the situation. I am always just afraid of hurting peoples feelings, especially when in my fathers mind, he has done nothing wrong. I will keep you posted. As far as I know now, he and his girlfriend are both attending. Fingers crossed our chat goes smoothly..  :)
    Just keep reminding yourself over these next 9 days, to breathe. Everything will work out fine. Even the little things you see and will want to obsess over, your guests likely won't even notice. Just remember the most important thing is that after next Saturday, you'll be married to your best friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards