Attire & Accessories Forum

How soon is too soon to shop?

Hi all --

Recently engaged.  We were planning on an October 2017 wedding (had found a venue we liked with an available date, but hadn't booked anything yet).  With that date in mind, I invited my mom and stepmom from out of town to come dress shopping with me here in November.

Unfortunately, a work conflict just arose that means the wedding will have to be pushed later -- probably May or June of 2018.

Is it stupid to still go dress shopping in November?  Is that way too early?  Or does it not really matter?

Thanks!

Re: How soon is too soon to shop?

• I would wait. Your weight could change, your taste could change, just a plethora of things that would make you wish you'd waited until closer to your wedding. 
  • I would wait. Your weight could change, your taste could change, just a plethora of things that would make you wish you'd waited until closer to your wedding. 
    Yeah, I think you're right.  I actually was just reading in an unrelated thread a post from someone who bought their dress too early and regretted it.  

I'll just have to look at dresses online for another half a year or so (which probably isn't the worst idea anyway).

Thanks!

• Don't fall into the trap of deciding that a dress you see online is THE ONE.  Those photo-shopped pictures look very different from the way a dress actually looks on a real girl.  Enjoy looking, but don't make any decisions until it is time to actually try on dresses.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Don't fall into the trap of deciding that a dress you see online is THE ONE.  Those photo-shopped pictures look very different from the way a dress actually looks on a real girl.  Enjoy looking, but don't make any decisions until it is time to actually try on dresses.
    That's kinda funny -- I've already felt myself falling into that trap of "THIS IS DEFINITELY GOING TO BE THE ONE I KNOW IT."  Thanks for the advice!

• CMGragain said:
    Don't fall into the trap of deciding that a dress you see online is THE ONE.  Those photo-shopped pictures look very different from the way a dress actually looks on a real girl.  Enjoy looking, but don't make any decisions until it is time to actually try on dresses.
    That's kinda funny -- I've already felt myself falling into that trap of "THIS IS DEFINITELY GOING TO BE THE ONE I KNOW IT."  Thanks for the advice!
    Yep! Depending on your personality/work you also probably haven't tried on that many different bridal silhouettes either. Thats the only reason why you may want to go to a Davids bridal or something, just to start thinking about whether you like mermaid,sheath, ball gown etc.

• David's Bridal will ask you questions before setting an appointment.  One of the first will be your wedding date.  Unfortunately, there are girls who think that going to try on wedding dresses is a fun afternoon when they are not even engaged yet.  This is hard on the samples and the staff.
    Please be honest with any salon if you are just shopping to get an idea of what you might like.  If they are very busy, they might suggest you wait until closer to your wedding date.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I went shopping and ended up realizing that what I wanted did not look good on my body. I had come up with 'fantastic' ideas of what I wanted from magazines. If I had to do over, I might have decreased how many magazines I looked at pre=dress shopping.
  • I would wait, if only because new styles will come out between November and your wedding date.

No harm in looking ;). I looked online for many many months pre dress shopping, so I had a pretty good idea of what I liked already. Definitely don't buy anything without trying it on first, and be willing to try different styles, but I do think it helped that I had an idea of what I definitely wanted (A-line, fit and flare, empire waist, lace, satin, some bling) and definitely did NOT want (no sweetheart neckline, no ballgowns, nothing too ornate).
  • If I were you, I would wait until next summer to start shopping. By then, you'll probably have a definite wedding date, a booked venue, a budget (if that matters), and a more accurate picture of what you want overall. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards