Chit Chat

Is an art glass gift appropriate???

I am looking for a wedding present for my cousin who has a beautiful home but not many centrepiece ornaments. I want to buy her a glass ornament from this shop in England but her wedding list is all homewares.

Do I really have to stick to the list and just buy her a toaster???

Re: Is an art glass gift appropriate???

• No, you don't have to stick to the list, but I would make sure that it's something she'd really enjoy before you buy something that's damn near impossible to return or exchange.
  • You don't have to stick to the registry, but I'm not sure a very expensive very noticeable difficult to return gift is wise. What makes you think she'd like this gift?
  • Those designs you linked to are very specific and I don't think everyone would appreciate one.  You should be 100% sure before purchasing something like that, if the receiver will appreciate and enjoy it.  Otherwise, its just something they will store in a closet and only bring it out when you come over, if they are nice.  Or its something that will get donated pretty quickly to a charity.

You smell very vendor-y.

• There's almost no way this isn't a vendor.

But on the off chance I'm wrong...if she has a beautiful home without centerpiece ornaments, wouldn't that suggest she doesn't like or want centerpiece ornaments?
    Maybe, or just that she hasn't bought anything yet for herself?

Personally, I appreciate unique gifts like the glass art in the link, but it isn't for everyone. Some of my favorite gifts when H and I got married came from off-registry and I absolutely cherish them. With that said, unless you know her well and KNOW that she's kind of that person too I wouldn't go for something so expensive and unique.

• One of my friends plans to buy a engraved glass to our mutual friend, who gonna get married next Jan. Good idea, I think.
    You know is love when flowers bloom ;)
  • KimA said:
    One of my friends plans to buy a engraved glass to our mutual friend, who gonna get married next Jan. Good idea, I think.
    Is she going to spend $250 on something that is highly unique that only certain people will enjoy? Or is she going to spend $50 on something that is unique because of the engraving that most people would display?
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    1. You do not have to buy off  the registry.  If I'm close to the couple and i find something i know they will love that I want them to have i will absolutely get them that instead. 

2. That doesn't necessarily make your idea (or the other person with the engraving) a good idea.  If you came into my home you would notice a lack of ornaments...cause i hate dusting,  don't need more clutter,  and my few decorations are heirlooms with sentimental value.  It is not enough to say "I noticed a lack of X item" but ask why don't they have it? Does it match their style and lifestyle? Would they genuinely love this and have picked it themselves if they had seen it first and the available funds?

In other words,  if you are picking it because you like it and want to be "unique" or because you think you know better than them about what their house needs,  just get them the toaster they asked for.  If this item is something that just so clearly speaks their names and you know they would love it and buy it themselves if they had the means, then go for it.

Eta: I've seen that type of glasswork around and some can be really pretty.  I'd shop around to find some of those ones instead if you're still dead set on giving glasswork as a gift.
  • The only times I have ever gone off the registry was when I knew the gift I was buying was unique to the couple. For example, some friends moved from Our City to Other City (in another state but flew back up to Our City for the wedding because all their loved ones were here). They lamented how much they missed their favorite coffee place so I bought a couple pounds of their favorite coffee beans as a wedding present. They LOVED it.  It wasn't on the registry but I knew it was something they would really want.

Yes, I had it shipped to their address in other city.

• Vendor or not, I'm not so sure this is a great wedding gift idea. Getting someone housewares may seem dull, but if it's on their registry, it's something they want or need, and they will appreciate getting it and won't care if it's not a more creative gift. At least, that's how I felt with anything we got from our wedding registry. 

I'm not saying you should never, ever go off the registry, but I think you need to know the couple very well and need to be confident that you are getting something they will like...or at the very least is easy to return if they don't. I do not think this art glass qualifies either way. Get them the toaster.

• vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2016
    I may be in the minority here, but I appreciate unique gifts.  We created a registry at the urging of our parents but were happy to receive anything.  I love the idea of those glass ornaments.  I especially like receiving something that means a lot to the guest or that's from a particular country or region.

My only pet peeve is when people buy things SIMILAR to the registry and then mark them as purchased so that others can't buy them.  MIL did this with several items, like the lamps we wanted and she got cheap knock-offs and marked them as purchased, specific stemless wineglasses, etc.  We didn't expect gifts from her and she went over the top so I probably shouldn't complain.  We use everything and were very appreciative, but for some reason the alternative "almost" registry gifts irked me.
  • KimA said:
    One of my friends plans to buy a engraved glass to our mutual friend, who gonna get married next Jan. Good idea, I think.
    Is she going to spend $250 on something that is highly unique that only certain people will enjoy? Or is she going to spend $50 on something that is unique because of the engraving that most people would display?

So far I know she will spend around $200 for this engraved wine glasses, and this mutual friend will be delighted because he kinda enjoys products like that...
    Hope my answer helps.
    You know is love when flowers bloom ;)
  • KimA said:
    So far I know she will spend around $200 for this engraved wine glasses, and this mutual friend will be delighted because he kinda enjoys products like that...Hope my answer helps.
    Okay so he enjoys things like that. There's a huge difference in buying someone something you know they'll like and buying someone something because you think they should have it. 
  • edited October 2016
    Do you have to stick to the registry? Of course not.

If your cousin has no centerpieces and tchotchkes, she may prefer that bare, uncluttered look for her home. Did you look at the return policy? Seven days to return for a refund doesn't sound like a safe bet to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards