Chit Chat

Crafty or Tacky?

We don't need stuff! My fiance and I have had several family members gift furniture, household items, appliances, etc. Need less to say, we don't have a whole lot to put on our registry. 

We have instead signed up for a Honeyfund account. If you're not familiar, its a social media medium where guests can purchase experiences while you and your loved one enjoy your honeymoon, instead of a wrapped gift. This seems like the perfect option for us! However, i have mentioned it as an option to many of my more traditional family members and the majority of them are either confused or opposed. Although we do value their opinion, the majority of our guests are more around our age. this seems like the perfect compromise; we register for some wrapped gifts for the more traditional guests, and have the online option, featuring Honeyfund, for our more  tech-saavy guests. 

What are your thoughts?
Crafty or Tacky?

Re: Crafty or Tacky?

• We don't need stuff! My fiance and I have had several family members gift furniture, household items, appliances, etc. Need less to say, we don't have a whole lot to put on our registry. 

We have instead signed up for a Honeyfund account. If you're not familiar, its a social media medium where guests can purchase experiences while you and your loved one enjoy your honeymoon, instead of a wrapped gift. This seems like the perfect option for us! However, i have mentioned it as an option to many of my more traditional family members and the majority of them are either confused or opposed. Although we do value their opinion, the majority of our guests are more around our age. this seems like the perfect compromise; we register for some wrapped gifts for the more traditional guests, and have the online option, featuring Honeyfund, for our more  tech-saavy guests. 

What are your thoughts?
    Crafty or Tacky?
    Your guests know how to gift you money, it's tacky AF to ask them for it.

• Tacky.  Plus it takes some of the money you would have got anyway.  Whenever I see a honey fund I deliberately give a boxed gift

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    I can guarantee you that at least some of your guests will think your honeyfund is horribly tacky.  Do you want that?
    Honeyfunds are like asking for money.  When I was a bride, we couldn't afford a big honeymoon, so we went on a two day mini-moon.  Our first big trip was on our 25th wedding anniversary, and it was worth the wait.
    Have the honeymoon that you can afford without asking your guests to pay for it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Not a fan.    I'll give cash over contributing to a honeyfund.  
  • Tacky. I'm young. I hate them. I don't need any instructions on how to give you cash. 
  • We don't need stuff! My fiance and I have had several family members gift furniture, household items, appliances, etc. Need less to say, we don't have a whole lot to put on our registry. 

What are your thoughts?
    Crafty or Tacky?

Tacky has no age boundary.  People of all ages know tacky/rude when they see it.  I have to ask, however, why you would even mention it to your family and friends.  I might register for gifts, but I don't follow that up with mentioning the registry to my family unless directly asked.  When these people said they were confused or opposed, did it ever dawn on you to ask why?

I'm fairly tech savvy, but I am also aware of manners.  I am both tech savvy and anti tacky. 
  • It's tacky, and it will always be tacky. 
  • So more tech savvy people enjoy paying extra fees...hmmm, I didn't know that. That's pretty stupid of them.

As for your other guests, They are opposed bc it's rude, not just tacky. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    Tacky.  Guests who want to give you cash know how to do that.

And why was "crafty" one of the adjectives?  Shouldn't it have been "clever or tacky?" or "acceptable or tacky?".  A honeyfund is neither clever nor acceptable, but crafty sounds like you came up with an original idea or something outside the box and unique.

ETA spelling 
  • MobKaz said:
    We don't need stuff! My fiance and I have had several family members gift furniture, household items, appliances, etc. Need less to say, we don't have a whole lot to put on our registry. 

What are your thoughts?
    Crafty or Tacky?

Tacky has no age boundary.  People of all ages know tacky/rude when they see it.  I have to ask, however, why you would even mention it to your family and friends.  I might register for gifts, but I don't follow that up with mentioning the registry to my family unless directly asked.  When these people said they were confused or opposed, did it ever dawn on you to ask why?

I'm fairly tech savvy, but I am also aware of manners.  I am both tech savvy and anti tacky. 

"Confused" is my standard go to for I think this is a shitty idea but don't want to offed the person, so maybe by acting confused they'll reconsider their idea

• Some of your guests are already telling you its tacky.  Who cares what age bracket they fall into.  These people are your guests and supposedly people you very much care about.

It's also hella rude and shady because these "experiences" you are supposedly registering for, come in the form of a check, minus the fee, with no actual experience booked.  It's deceptive to your guests.

Do you like paying taxes on something that you don't have to pay taxes on?  Because as it stands now, you will be paying a tax on all of the money your guests give you through your honeyfund.  However, if you don't register at all, you will get 100% of the money your guest gift you individually with either a cash, check, or gift card.

Add me to the list of people who vote tacky.

• If you're not familiar, its a social media medium where guests can purchase experiences while you and your loved one enjoy your honeymoon, instead of a wrapped gift. 

We apparently know more about this than you do because that's not how that works. Your guests aren't "purchasing experiences" for you. They're giving you cash. Oh and honeyfund takes a percentage of that cash out of their gift. So your guests are being told they're buying you a fabulous couples massage for $120, but in reality they're giving you a $114 check because honeyfund kept 5% of their gift.
  • common y'all this has to be a troll. How many times a day does someone shit on a honeyfund? 
  • I think either someone looking for a little drama or someone writing an article.

• She does make it sound like she's stumbled upon this brand new thing that hasn't come into popular knowledge yet, but she doesn't appear to know that the couple doesn't get the actual experiences and the company takes a cut of the gift.

If it wasn't rude to begin with, who in their right mind financially would think it was smart to let a company take a portion of the cash when your guests can give you the whole amount directly.
  • I agree with @glasgowtolondon, if it had a specific honeyfund website mentioned I would think this was a vendor. It is just written way to weird to not be some type of troll or someone looking to write an article. 
  • This is a weird post because we discuss this topic regularly.

Tacky.
  • If by crafty you mean a sneaky way to trick people into giving you cash, sure. 

Also, rude AF and dishonest. Gross. 
  • Hey you know what's the new hip thing to do? Not telling people how to give you money. All the cool people are using checkbooks and putting the check in the card. All the hipsters do it, its vintage.

...did that work...?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tacky and rude AF. Under 30 speaking here...age has nothing to do with the fact that it's rude.  

• My cynical side thinks this is poorly veiled attempt to promote Honeyfund on a wedding forum that forbids vendors.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards