Budget Weddings Forum

tip: consider postage before picking your invites

ladies maybe the rest of you are smarter about this than I was, but it didn't occur to me to make sure I was aware of how the weight and size of my invitations impacted my postage costs.  almost all of the money I saved by buying invitations from Michaels (1 box at a time with a 40% off coupon each time) and printing them at home was eaten back up by additional postage costs that I could have avoided if I had thought about this before selecting my invites.  Argh.  Because there was a ribbon tied around each invitation there was a slight lump in the envelope, which meant the invites had to be hand stamped by the post office and couldn't go through a machine.  That is an extra cost.  Tri-fold invitations and inserts add to weight, which can add to postage costs too. 

Re: tip: consider postage before picking your invites

• I'm surprised that your post office charged you for the hand cancelling. Mine did that for free.
  • ernursej said:
    I'm surprised that your post office charged you for the hand cancelling. Mine did that for free.
    Nothing is free in the states. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • ernursej said:
    I'm surprised that your post office charged you for the hand cancelling. Mine did that for free.
    Nothing is free in the states. 

I've had lots of friends get married in the states and they've never been charged. Maybe specific states charge?
  • I didn't have an issue with bumps (no ribbons) but postage is a big thing. We were originally planning to include additional inserts in our invitations but decided against it when the sample we brought to the post office turned out to require most postage. Postage for invitations can get very expensive, particularly when you're adding stamps to RSVP cards and potentially sending larger envelopes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ernursej said:
    My niece added a piece of wheat to her invitations and they had to be hand cancelled. Some of the invitations were delivered no problem, some of them were delivered with a "postage due" stamp, others were held at the post office until the additional postage was paid. 
  • OP, I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way. For lurkers, make sure you do a bit of research into mailing requirements before making final invitation decisions since it could result in a lot of unexpected cost. I weighed my sample invitations on my kitchen scale ahead of time to make sure I only needed one stamp. That was also one of the reasons why I didn't have ribbon or anything (also couldn't b bothered to tie it). 

For hand cancelling, what I've gathered from wedding forums, is that it really depends on which post office you go to for whether they will charge you or not. It sounds like the less busy ones will do it for free. The more busy ones charge. But either way, it's worth phoning around to check. 
  • Also know what your postage regulations are for the size/shape of your invitation.

For whatever reason, a square envelope requires extra postage compared to a rectangular envelope.
  • definitely look into size/shape/weight details for postage. I didn't want to have to pay extra because I had an extra ribbon or a weird shape that made it cost more. We also did post card Save the Dates and RSVPs to save a little on stamps too (no issued with delivery of post cards either). 
  • I decided to forego inserts and send a booklet, which I designed I using Vista print trifolds.I haven't ordered them yet but I know they will require extra postage onice I've cut everything to size and made them into booklets like the minted ones. so I'm waiting until Vista print has a good sale on marketing matierials, right now it'll be $40 full price for 50 (I have the rest of the supplies already).