Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

First Tasting Coming Up

Hi folks,

My fiancé and I have our first tasting coming up on Friday. This is with our first-choice caterer, though we do have a tasting scheduled with our second choice just in case things don't work out with the first one. My question is, what should I expect with this tasting? For those of you who have already been through this, what sorts of things do you wish you had asked about? We'll be tasting cake too, since they also own a bakery, so any tips there would be really helpful too. Thanks in advance! 

Re: First Tasting Coming Up

• Options
    Hi folks,

My fiancé and I have our first tasting coming up on Friday. This is with our first-choice caterer, though we do have a tasting scheduled with our second choice just in case things don't work out with the first one. My question is, what should I expect with this tasting? For those of you who have already been through this, what sorts of things do you wish you had asked about? We'll be tasting cake too, since they also own a bakery, so any tips there would be really helpful too. Thanks in advance! 
    Can't help on the catering tasting but with cake, drink a bunch of water (especially if you're tasting a lot of flavors). Also, ask if they can do combinations they don't present to you. We mixed and matched cake and filling and frosting so we didn't actually taste the combo we ordered they were able to customize the cake to our favorites. 
  • Options
    It really depends on the caterer. I saw one where there were tiny bites of a couple entrees, another one gave us full mutliple meals that we ate for days afterwords as leftovers. Some charge you, some are free- but even if they charge you they might put that $ towards your final bill.

Be honest and ask questions- in addition to switching cake flavors with icing flavors you might want a different sauce on your meat. My original quote came with fruit and veggie and cheese tray but I could get another passed app instead for the same price- I wasn't going to ask but then my Mom asked for me right before we signed a contract.

Don't forget about tax, service fees or other fees when you are comparing prices.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards