Wedding Etiquette Forum

Advice on seating chart?

So I'm nearly finished with my guest list. My mother-in-law is my hold up right now. She always is making me lists of random people. Anyway  my question is how did you make you seating charts? Did you use some sort of guide? I have 350 people invited. And I'm sending my STDs mid-November.  My wedding is May 6th 2017.

Re: Advice on seating chart?

• I started mine by just grouping people together in circles (my cousins, his cousins, my uni friends, his friends from home etc), regardless of the size of each group and then worked it out from there in an excel sheet. Ask your caterer or venue how many people per table so you know what to work to. I had a rough list worked out ahead of final rsvps coming in but only by a few weeks, since you are still a good 7 months out you have plenty of time so I wouldn't worry about it yet.

• I agree with @glasgowtolondon. Group people together in circles based on how many people a table will accommodate. You are pretty far out - I wouldn't even be worrying about this now. You can't really make a chart until you know who is coming. Just kind of think about groups now and realize it will be fluid until the week of the wedding!
  • I asked my parents and in laws who they wanted at their tables, then did what PPs have said and started grouping people. If my mom started making suggestions (and she did) I just told her I had it under control. I also waited until I had all the RSVPs back so I knew who was actually coming. H and I had it done in an hour or two. 
  • Agree with all the above. Just make sure that you are only sending STD to those that are 100% going to be invited. Make sure anyone in a relationship is invited and that you have space for anyone you invite that isn't in a relationship to enter into one.

• I agree that for now, you can start with grouping your guests together into "like" groups, but you really can't put anything together until you know who is actually coming. The seating chart is usually something that is done in the last week or two before the wedding.

We did the same as above- my immediate family, his immediate family, similar friend groups, aunts/uncles/cousins. I made an excel spread sheet that had columns which were grouped into each table and listed the guests there. It helped to visually see which table had more less, who could possibly move.

Definitely make sure you know how many guests each table to can sit and how many tables you can have set up in your venue (consider whether this means tables on the dance floor or not- I was adamant to not have this happen). Also remember that just because a table seats 10 doesn't mean you have to fill it. We had tables with 6 guests and tables with 10. We tried to even it out as much as possible, but if we had a group of guests who got along really well or would not know anyone else than "their" group, we sat them together at a full table.
  • ditto pps especially on waiting until rsvps start coming in. Use post its to move people around and don't split up WP members from their dates.

• There is no reason to think about this now.    Wait until the responses come in and then just use a spreadsheet to group people by tables.   Then you can place tables in locations that make sense. 
  • Also, many venues actually have a floorplan with the tables laid out that they will give you.  If your venue is a unique shape, or something, this is particularly helpful.  Ask them as you get closer.
  • The seating chart will be one the last things you do. And you can't do it properly until you actually know which people are attending. Your venue will most likely give you a floor plan, and you can work from that. I asked my parents and MIL who they wanted to sit with. And then I grouped people either by common friends or common interests. 
  • I would group your guests by circles, as PPs have noted.

Just remember to keep SOs together.
  • If you are keeping an excel spreadsheet of your guest list, I once saw on here that a bride used letters to group people together.  So your immediate family could be A, FI's immediate family could be B, etc.  You would also keep track of RSVPs as they arrive in the spreadsheet.  Then just sort the guest list by letters and who is attending.  It can make the seating chart easier.  So starting that type of list now makes sense.

Just a warning if you are using it, the TK guest list tool is very glitchy and brides have lost their guests lists completely.  So if you use any of the TK tools, make sure you keep a back up somewhere!

• I waited until the RSVPs came in & then started grouping them from there. I wouldn't even worry about the seating chart so early out. You can start an early grouping of people that you know are defiantly coming (your family, his family) but other than that I would wait or you will be changing it a million times. You will also have guests that you will need to chase down for a response (ridiculous I know) My wedding was 9/17 & i didn't have my final numbers until the very end of Aug. 

So don't stress about it now. Group as the RSVPs come along & get it in an excel spreadsheet so you can make changes as you go. And trust me you will make many many changes! Not every table was even seating for us but you just let them know at your final head count how many chairs/meal choice (if doing) at each table.

Hubby & I are huge football fans so our seating chart poster was divided into football teams & each table had a little team helmet to designate. That is how I kept my groupings together on my spreadsheet (NY Giants Table - list of guests at that table, 12 chairs, 6 steak 6 Salmon) you get the idea. Stay organized but don't add extra stress when you don't need to yet. You have plenty of time for that :) 
  • ONLY send STD's to those who if the world was ending next week you'd invite to come.  Life happens and plans change (i.e. sudden financial hardships, illness, etc.).  STD's are a relatively new thing and unless it's a DW where passports are involved, they truly aren't necessary.  

As for the seating chart DO NOT start this until you have your RSVP's returned as "yes" which means within the month before the wedding.  Yes, start in circles,  1) WP & SO's, Grandparents, Godparents, Parents, and FIL's of the above 2)Families with small kids 3)Work Circles 4) Social Circles 5) Everyone else..  

I'm one who is NAF of seating charts in general except in cases where you've got small circles of people who will know absolutely no one else at the event.  I've also seen where "seating charts go incredibly wrong" (family pecking order moved around, putting parents with small kids in places that it's impossible to put a stroller, putting parents with small kids where they can't make an "easy escape" if their child acts up or needs to go potty, a relative with mobility or health issues where they need the easy access to the restroom/outside, etc.).  Those are things to think about logistically when you're deciding where people are to sit and such that you have enough space in your venue to allow for easy movement without requiring a city block to stand up so someone can go get a glass of water from the bar, etc. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards