Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Surprise Trip for Parents in Lieu of Registry?

Hi Brides/Grooms/etc!

To make a long story short, my wonderful parents are retiring the same week that I am getting married in early 2018. They have always wanted to go to Europe, but have never had the money.

My hubby-to-be and I have lived together for years, so we have no desire for a traditional registry. What do you all think of the idea of creating a honeymoon-like registry, except with the funds going towards a surprise retirement trip for my parents? I know that honeymoon registries are often frowned upon since they're "tacky", but would this be better received since it's not benefiting us directly? 

If we do decide to do this, does anyone have any ideas on how to let guests know without my parents finding out? We wouldn't be able to put it on the wedding website or anything like that, since my mom might see.

Thank you so much for your help!

Re: Surprise Trip for Parents in Lieu of Registry?

• Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016
    Agree with above.  Just don't register.  Use your own money and any cash gifts you receive to pay for the trip.

I  have my own retirement to save for and my own parents to worry about.  I also haven't been of a vacation on my own out of state in almost a decade.  If I choose to give you a gift (object or cash), I sincerely don't care what you use it for, but don't specifically ask me to give you cash for me to fund your (or your parents) vacation.  Maybe I'm cold-hearted, but when people ask for specific gifts (particularly cash) and shill for vacations, I'm less inclined to be generous.  And if I'm your coworker or college friend or anyone on your husband-to-be's side, I'm really not all that invested in giving your parents a gift, though I'm sure they are lovely people, and if I'm giving you a gift for your wedding it's because I want to give something to celebrate that occasion, not your parents retirement.  Just because they just so happen to occur in the same week doesn't mean connecting the two events is appropriate. 

Also, I honestly don't know how you would keep that a secret?  Write it in code in invisible ink on your save the dates and then make them take a blood oath to not tell anyone?  It all seems just so unnecessary and complicated.

Let people give what they want to give, how they want to give it.  There's nothing stopping you from using those gifts (whether they be cash or you get physical gifts and return them to the store for cash) and give it as a gift for your parents.  Throw your parents a separate retirement party a couple weeks later and if people feel they want to give a gift and ask you for ideas, you can suggest that you want to surprise them with a trip (but only if THEY ask YOU) and they can contribute as they see fit or find an appropriate gift, like travel items appropriate for the trip.

• Options
    I think your heart is in the right place (wanting to do something wonderful for your parents), but the execution is not going to come off the way you want it to. Don't register, or have a very small one (and thus decline offers for showers or other gift giving events) and people will get the hint and give you cash. It's the up to you to decide what to do with it. 

Knottie1465682639 said:
    Hi Brides/Grooms/etc!

To make a long story short, my wonderful parents are retiring the same week that I am getting married in early 2018. They have always wanted to go to Europe, but have never had the money.

My hubby-to-be and I have lived together for years, so we have no desire for a traditional registry. What do you all think of the idea of creating a honeymoon-like registry, except with the funds going towards a surprise retirement trip for my parents? I know that honeymoon registries are often frowned upon since they're "tacky", but would this be better received since it's not benefiting us directly? 

If we do decide to do this, does anyone have any ideas on how to let guests know without my parents finding out? We wouldn't be able to put it on the wedding website or anything like that, since my mom might see.

Thank you so much for your help!

• Options
    It's tacky to outright ask your guests for money for anything, from a pediatric hospital fund all the way to a retirement trip for your parents.  You're welcome to spend any money you receive as wedding gifts anyway you'd like, including treating your parents to a trip.
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    Nice thought, but no to all of the reasons PPs have stated.  If I am giving you a gift, I am giving YOU a gift, not your parents.  

• Options
    This is a nice idea, but as others have mentioned, I may not know your parents. And while I may give a married couple money to get their lives started...it feels odd to me to give someone money for a retirement (even if it's a frivolous vacation), since presumably the couple retiring have done so because they already have the finances figured out.

• Options
    You are essentially asking people to give you things so you can regift it. The ONLY way this could work is:

1.) Don't register anywhere (no honeymoon registries or cutesy poems saying you want money). 
    2.) If someone asks where you are registered say "We aren't registered anywhere but we are saving up for some big purchases".
    3.) You will most likely get cash, and you are free to spend this any way you want. 

But honeymoon registries are tacky AF and super rude to begin with. But if I found out that I paid to buy you a nice dinner (minus a 3% fee), but it turns out you didn't bother actually eat the dinner but instead regifted it to your parents, would be very, very cross.