Wedding Woes

With family like this... :-/

DEAR ABBY:

The holidays are coming, and this year it’s my turn to host Thanksgiving. I’m a full-time working mom with two active children, and I also volunteer. No matter how hard I will work at cleaning my house before the relatives come, I know there’ll be areas that aren’t spotless. There’s just not enough time in the schedule. I have relatives who will make sure to point out what needs to be done, or critique how I have arranged my furniture, or what I did or didn’t prepare for the meal. How do I graciously handle these comments? I want to be an example to my children on how to be a gracious hostess, even when dealing with critical or rude comments.

— UNDER PRESSURE IN OHIO 

Re: With family like this... :-/

• My sister could have written this. Every year her mil, sil, Bil and his wife and daughter spend a week with them. They claim the beds suck, the sheets are too scratchy, the food/wine is cheap, the house is dirty, the furniture is old, and my sister is just not good enough (she's an optometrist)!  I don't know how she does it but it's been 22 years. 
  • One of my coworkers could have written this. She's got a lot happening - 2 kids, work full time, plus online courses - and doesn't have time to clean her house the way she'd like to.

"Sorry the house isn't up to normal standards. It's really busy lately, but glad you're able to come!"
  • Heffalump said:
    One of my coworkers could have written this. She's got a lot happening - 2 kids, work full time, plus online courses - and doesn't have time to clean her house the way she'd like to.

"Sorry the house isn't up to normal standards. It's really busy lately, but glad you're able to come!"

With all due respect, the word "sorry" would not even pass my lips in this scenario.  More like "Here's the Swiffer if it's bothering you so much that you can't keep your mouth shut."  But I don't think that's what the LW was looking for.
    That's where my sister has landed. She used to bust her ass. One day her mil complained the tracks on the sliding door were dirty. Sister handed her a rag and said have at it. They will always complain. She stopped trying to appease them. 
  • Heffalump said:
    One of my coworkers could have written this. She's got a lot happening - 2 kids, work full time, plus online courses - and doesn't have time to clean her house the way she'd like to.

With all due respect, the word "sorry" would not even pass my lips in this scenario.  More like "Here's the Swiffer if it's bothering you so much that you can't keep your mouth shut."  But I don't think that's what the LW was looking for.
    I would have said it snarky/sarcastically lol not actually apologizing.
  • I'm pretty confident my MIL thinks my house is not clean enough. Too bad. I work full-time, so does H. We keep our kitchen clean enough to cook and eat safely, our bathroom is clean, but yah my baseboards are dusty, and I don't sweep everyday. She's never said anything (because she's way too polite to do that), but unless someone wants to pay for a housekeeper for me, this is how its going to be. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    DEAR ABBY:

The holidays are coming, and this year it’s my turn to host Thanksgiving. I’m a full-time working mom with two active children, and I also volunteer. No matter how hard I will work at cleaning my house before the relatives come, I know there’ll be areas that aren’t spotless. There’s just not enough time in the schedule. I have relatives who will make sure to point out what needs to be done, or critique how I have arranged my furniture, or what I did or didn’t prepare for the meal. How do I graciously handle these comments? I want to be an example to my children on how to be a gracious hostess, even when dealing with critical or rude comments.

— UNDER PRESSURE IN OHIO 
    Either a deadpan, "And?" or "So?"  Depending on my mood.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    My MIL was a wonderful person, but dear god she would come to my house and clean, especially in the early days.  It drove me batshit at times (there was one bad time when I was late in pregnancy and tired all the time and I was so pissed she was cleaning and organizing the kiddo's room that I left the house to go to the store when it was snowing...much to everyone's protest).  But it was part and parcel of her personality.  She a) was a mother-er.  She mothered everyone, young or old.  It put my mom's back up because my mom would be all, "Why does she host ME at your house?" and that brings me to b ) she had horrible social anxiety.  Doing something got her out of conversations.  Serving people and helping out is how she stayed involved in a social situation without feeling pressure.  

That's not to say there weren't times that I felt like I was being judged as a shitty housekeeper, wife, and/or mother, but I found ways to deal with her desire to help out. 
    My son confessed to me that my MIL made him mad last year because she told me to sit down while she did something in the kitchen while I was hosting Thanksgiving. Then, he realized that she's just socially awkward and that was her inept way of being nice. 
  • I'm pretty confident my MIL thinks my house is not clean enough. Too bad. I work full-time, so does H. We keep our kitchen clean enough to cook and eat safely, our bathroom is clean, but yah my baseboards are dusty, and I don't sweep everyday. She's never said anything (because she's way too polite to do that), but unless someone wants to pay for a housekeeper for me, this is how its going to be. 

I think my mom feels the same way about my house.  And it's clean, but with a 7 y.o. and a 3 y.o. (and a destructive kitten), it's not always tidy. 

She freaked out once a long time ago, because we were going to a funeral and she wanted to ride with us, so she met us at our apartment.  We were putting together some IKEA bookshelves, so there were parts and pieces all over the living room, along with packing material.  She took one look at it and said "I'm sorry, but I just couldn't live like this."  Like the empty carton and piles of shelves were permanent fixtures.  That's DH's and my inside joke now: when the family room looks like a Hot Wheel factory exploded or Wooz has tempera paint all over her art desk, it's always "I'm sorry, but I just couldn't live like this."

Old timers will remember that, OTOH, I really wanted to clean MIL's house.  And I don't even like to clean.  But it was gross.  I just kept my mouth shut, even (especially) once we started staying in a hotel.

• mrsconn23 said:

I dislike the "here, you clean then" personally. Because fuck you, it is clean enough for me. I feel like there's an implication that I agree that it's not clean enough.

MIL said one or two shitty things about the cleanliness of our apartment years ago and wanted to "help" me clean. I told her I'd be happy to recommend a hotel or meet her elsewhere for dinner. I don't need your ass cleaning my baseboards. Get over yourself.

My MIL was a wonderful person, but dear god she would come to my house and clean, especially in the early days.  It drove me batshit at times (there was one bad time when I was late in pregnancy and tired all the time and I was so pissed she was cleaning and organizing the kiddo's room that I left the house to go to the store when it was snowing...much to everyone's protest).  But it was part and parcel of her personality.  She a) was a mother-er.  She mothered everyone, young or old.  It put my mom's back up because my mom would be all, "Why does she host ME at your house?" and that brings me to b ) she had horrible social anxiety.  Doing something got her out of conversations.  Serving people and helping out is how she stayed involved in a social situation without feeling pressure.  

That's not to say there weren't times that I felt like I was being judged as a shitty housekeeper, wife, and/or mother, but I found ways to deal with her desire to help out. 
    I feel the same way when hosting, so I tend to hover around certain places/people to stay calm. {hosting and visiting some places}