Wedding Woes

More Gift Advice Halp Please

I'm planning on making some infused bourbons and infused olive oils to give to some people as gifts this year.

I have a co worker who really likes to bake her own pizzas, so I thought the infused olive oils would be a cool idea for her.  What else could I add to her gift in keeping with a pizza theme?  She already has a stone, slicer, etc.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

Re: More Gift Advice Halp Please

• KatWAG said:
    good cheeses to go on the pizza?
    Mmmm I like where this is going. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Maybe a gourmet ingredient/sauce.  But that comes in a jar and isn't perishable.  For example, my H and I just made bruschetta over the weekend that had a sauce with a sundried tomato base.  Or a nice pesto.

I don't know if they sell it where you live, but olive salad...like the kind they put in muffaletta sandwiches...is FANTASTIC on pizza.  I usually use that as the sauce instead of a tomato sauce, but it could be done either way.  Pile it with Italian meats.  Make sure to throw SLICES of cheese (not shredded)...preferably provolone...on to the top before cooking.  You need the heavier duty slices to better hold in the olive oils that the olive salad is packed in.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What does she like to eat on the pizza?  I like the idea of super fancy versions of pizza ingredients: the sort of thing you would love to eat but wouldn't be likely to buy for yourself.
    Like truffle oil?

I think she and her family are more on the veggie side of topping preferences.  

I know they aren't big on red meat. . .I don't recall if I've ever seen her eat pepperoni so I'm not sure if Genoa salami or prosciutto would be well received.

• I like all these ideas- tyty!

• I'm just here to say this is a genius idea and I'm totally stealing it to make my best friend a bourbon as part of her thank you gift!
  • What does she like to eat on the pizza?  I like the idea of super fancy versions of pizza ingredients: the sort of thing you would love to eat but wouldn't be likely to buy for yourself.
    Like truffle oil?

I think she and her family are more on the veggie side of topping preferences.  

I know they aren't big on red meat. . .I don't recall if I've ever seen her eat pepperoni so I'm not sure if Genoa salami or prosciutto would be well received.
    Yes yes yes to the truffle oil!

Also, how about some of that fancy 00 flour?

And figs! I love figs on pizza :-)
  • I'm just here to say this is a genius idea and I'm totally stealing it to make my best friend a bourbon as part of her thank you gift!

Here are some of the ones I found that I wanted to make:

http://www.howsweeteats.com/2016/10/infused-bourbon-three-ways/

http://helloglow.co/infused-alcohol-recipes/

https://boozedandinfused.com/2012/07/21/bourbon-bourbon-infused-bourbon/amp/

Heffalump said:

Sweet!  I don't can, but I can make a few of these up and just stick them in jars and tell her they are perishable, so freeze them.

• All I have to say is you people are gift-giving geniuses. I love the infused bourbon/olive oil and fancy pizza topping ideas. I would SO rather get those than random lip gloss, body wash or body spray that I'll never use.

• Likely you already got an answer, but in case you want more ideas {and anyone else ...}

My MIL is a big cooker and loves to try weird things. Last year my mum found some EVOO at Costco with different flavours.
    It was definitely one of those things that you don't anticipate finding at Costco. Flavours aren't so strong they overpower whatever you're using, but it does give it an increased flavour :)
  • fig preserves! I take a short cut with pillsbury dough but for my "fig and pig" is always a hit.
    Spread fig preserves, sprinkle carmelized onion/garlic, mozzerella and bacon (or wait until pizza is out of the oven and lay prsocuitto on top). Top with arugala.

• mrsconn23 said:
    How do you make infused bourbon, pray tell?  I've got a theme going for a blind gift exchange and this would fit nicely.  

I got these glasses:

Love these!  Just clicking on the "heart" wasn't enough for my admiration.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Please look into shopping Penzey's spices, they can be a little pricy, but very worth it!  Their CEO is also taking a stand against the hatred that has been seen since the election!
  • mrsconn23 said:
    There's a part of me that wants to buy another set for us...or just keep them and figure out something else to give.  

That's how it works, right?  :D LMAO

I've actually done that before.  I ordered something from Amazon and loved it so much I had to get a second one for myself!

• Please look into shopping Penzey's spices, they can be a little pricy, but very worth it!  Their CEO is also taking a stand against the hatred that has been seen since the election!
    We love Penzey's spices - lucky for me it isn't on my normal route. Now this is even a better reason to shop there.
    We love Penzey's spices - lucky for me it isn't on my normal route. Now this is even a better reason to shop there.

My mom pretty much only buys their spices.  They have a store front in Philly somewhere, but she usually just shops online.  She often gives me the free samples that come with her order! <3

I have been a Penzey's fan (addict) for several months now, and I didn't even know about the whole CEO thing until I went to send Christmas gifts!  (Two of DH's sisters are getting the grill/broil gift set.) 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    How do you make infused bourbon, pray tell?  I've got a theme going for a blind gift exchange and this would fit nicely.  

I got these glasses:

You can use any type of whiskey or even vodka.  Basically, take the things you want to flavor the whiskey (apples, cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans) and put them in a mason jar or other glass bottle (I'm using quart jars), then add whiskey (I'm going you use about a pint), seal, and percolate for 2 weeks, shaking every day.

Then taste and if the flavor is strong enough, filter out stuff and enjoy!  If you want it to be stronger let sit longer and/or add more stuff.

• Update: Got the glasses today.  They are super cute in person, plus they're bigger than I expected and hefty.  I may break down and get a second set to keep.  ;)