Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Caution!

My (now) husband and I booked Le Delice Fine Cakes in Vaughan/Toronto Ontario to bake our wedding cake 8 months in advance. They stood us up for multiple meetings, which should have been a red flag but we were committed. Then, cancleled two weeks before the wedding! I just want to warn any other brides before they have a similar experience when they need it the least!

Re: Cake Caution!

• Try I do wedding cakes if you do not have a back up. 
  • This is an international board so your best to post this to your local boards as it would not be relevant to most here.  Also, Keisha - best for a PM instead of risking vendor status...
  • @MesmrEwe thank you! I'm new to posting so not sure of all the rules. 
  • Keisha84 said:
    @MesmrEwe thank you! I'm new to posting so not sure of all the rules. 
    You are not allowed to advertise AT ALL on the boards, I'd recommend reading the board rules ASAP!  If you're here for advertising, TK has an awesome sales staff.  
  • I thought "I do wedding cakes" was the name of a wedding cake store that she was recommending.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • I thought "I do wedding cakes" was the name of a wedding cake store that she was recommending.
    This is what I thought too.

• MesmrEwe said:
    This is an international board so your best to post this to your local boards as it would not be relevant to most here.  Also, Keisha - best for a PM instead of risking vendor status...
    Since when is recommending a bakery against TOS?  I mean, I suppose it's possible she works there, but nothing in her posting history seems to indicate that is the case.  And the bakery is listed in The Knot's local vendors for Toronto.
  • jacques27 said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    This is an international board so your best to post this to your local boards as it would not be relevant to most here.  Also, Keisha - best for a PM instead of risking vendor status...
    Since when is recommending a bakery against TOS?  I mean, I suppose it's possible she works there, but nothing in her posting history seems to indicate that is the case.  And the bakery is listed in The Knot's local vendors for Toronto.
    I believe there was an edit that took place to the original post after I pointed this out...  
  • Keisha84 said:
    I didn't edit my post after you pointed this rule out. I don't work at the bakery nor am I affiliated in anyway. I recommended them because I've had their cakes before and they do rush orders. 

Its rare to see someone from my hometown post so I got a little excited about helping out. 
    I don't think you did anything wrong. 

People make recommendations here all the time. I typically tell people I'll DM them to avoid this kind of time, but I really don't see anything in the post that looks close to vendor-y to me. You clearly post on here regularly so I don't get the problem. 
  • Has anyone made their own cake - I'm tempted but worried it'll end in disaster. cakes are so expensive to buy though, it seems like an obvious area to cut back costs!
  • Has anyone made their own cake - I'm tempted but worried it'll end in disaster. cakes are so expensive to buy though, it seems like an obvious area to cut back costs!
    Start a new thread to ask this question, not many people are going to click an old thread unrelated to your question to answer it. You'll get more responses if you start something new!
    Have you tried looking at getting a sheet cake from a local grocery store? Those are often more budget friendly. How many people are going to the wedding? 
  • My sister did. It turned out beautifully and tasted great. At the time, she was trying to get started making wedding cakes as a business out of her home, so she had some equipment, but not a lot. 

She made the cakes a couple days before and froze them and frosted them the day of. They were very simple (but certainly beautiful). The frosting was swirled (no fondant or trying to get it perfectly smooth) and had no decorations apart from the frosting in her wedding colors, fresh flowers on each layer, and the topper on the top layer. The layers also weren't stacked (easier to transport). They were placed on a tiered stand. 

It's certainly possible but does add stress to the day. Certainly don't try to do anything too fancy. 
    Unless you have baked large cakes before for events, or as above, you are trying to start your own cake business, I would not.

You are going to be making a fairly large product. Consider the cost of the ingredients as well as supplies, not to mention your time. You can make the cake itself ahead of time (but still not more than a few days), but you will have to frost it the day of. Will you have time for this in between your hair, make up, getting dressed and photos? Do you have all the equipment you need to make a large cake? (multiple bowls, pans, spoons, etc etc) Where will you store the cake? Is your fridge/freezer big enough? Who will bring it to the venue the day of and set it up?

Look into getting a slab cake from the grocery store, or try a smaller bakery that doesn't usually do weddings and ask for a simple design. Also check out private bakers- you do have to do your due diligence but there are lots of people who bake on the side and do a good job (ask to see photos of work they've done, ask what sort of events and how many people they have baked for). You don't have to go to a traditional bakery, you just need something that is safe to eat and tastes good.

When I was getting married we had cupcakes. I found a smaller bakery that didn't do weddings per se, but I could order however many dozen cupcakes in vanilla, chocolate or red velvet for a REALLY good price. I wouldn't be able to personalize the frosting flavour or colours, I would be picking up a large order of their usual cupcakes. I would also have had to pick it up myself. In the end, we ended up with finding a private baker who bakes out of her home. She had an official website with lots of photos, wrote me up a contract, provided me with taste samples, and was able to be flexible with flavours/colours/design. She even provided delivery, set up and the cake stand for free (as long as I returned it!).
  • Just throwing it out there: sheet cakes from Costco are huge, inexpensive, and pretty tasty, especially considering the cost.  

• levioosa said:
    Just throwing it out there: sheet cakes from Costco are huge, inexpensive, and pretty tasty, especially considering the cost.  
    Costco cakes are, no joke, some of the best cakes I've ever had!