Attire & Accessories Forum

Reception Dress?

I was trying on my dress again today because my shoes and shapewear came in recently and I wanted to make sure it all worked well together. My mom suggested I try doing things in my dress, like sitting. Well, it was difficult to sit in. It's a trumpet dress and the top half is rather stiff which just makes it hard to sit. I was aware of this before I got it, but it wasn't really a big deal to me. 

Well, my mom said she is thinking I'll need a reception dress to change into. I LOVE my dress! I would hate to have spent hundreds of dollars on this gorgeous dress to only wear it for an hour! But my mom does have a point. 

I've looked into some other posts and saw that most think a reception dress is a flaunting of money. Trust me -- we do not have a lot of money. My gown was inexpensive and a second dress wouldn't be like a really nice dress, probably $100 or less. I wouldn't be getting another dress just to show off for some reason, it would just be for comfort. 

What I want to know is, will I ever even sit down? That's the only time the dress is uncomfortable. I don't want to buy another dress because I don't want to take mine off and I don't want to spend more money on another dress. So if I won't get the chance to sit anyway, I won't waste my money. 

Re: Reception Dress?

• Probably to eat, but not much more than that. I think I only sat to eat cake for about 20 minutes. We had a cake and punch reception. 
  • You will need to sit down to eat, like @lovesclimbing said. If you are having a Catholic or some other religious ceremony, you may be seated during part of that. Can you have it let out a bit where it is tight during sitting? My daughter's dress was too tight when she sat down. The seamstress just eased it a little and it was fine.
  • edited December 2016
    I only sat down for dinner and I had a mermaid style dress. It was quite fitted and slightly uncomfortable to sit in, but not to the point where I couldn't sit. But I was up talking, dancing, mingling for the entire reception. I would suggest seein if your seamstress can let it out slightly. If you don't want to change and don't want a different dress, You definitely don't need one. Try adjusting yours first. 
  • I only sat for a total of maybe 30 minutes all together. Most of that was during the toasts and the meal. I did find it a little awkward to sit in my dress at first, but I got used to it. Or it was the champagne. Either way, I was fine. 
  • Thank you all so much! That's what I thought, but I wanted to run it by some people with experience in wedding dresses. I'll see what my seamstress can do. The dress is a Maggie Sottero who likes to use a corset structure. It's got boning so it just isn't flexible up top. I CAN sit in it, it's just very stiff. I wish I had a couch instead of a chair because lying down would be easier! Lol. I think I could handle 20 minutes of stiff sitting to eat my dinner.
  • @cowgirl8238 yes! I definitely got comfy shoes! Thanks. 
  • Just practice sitting up straight
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    Like other PP's have said - I think I sat down for a total of 20 minutes that night - including dinner and speeches.  And I'm usually not one to stand for long periods of time.  It wasn't until the next day that I even noticed that I missed the cake!  We had to go back to the hotel to get the top layer. 
    edit for: Take @cowgirl8238 's advise.  Get comfy shoes!!

• I sat only for dinner.

I agree that shoe comfort is way more important than dress comfort ;). I ended up barefoot by the end- and my feet were dirty!
  • Glad I have read this! Although after reading it I think I have done myself in lol, 
    my shoes are 5inch and my dress is a big poofy ball gown style  :o  So gonna have trouble sitting or standing :D   :D
  • Glad I have read this! Although after reading it I think I have done myself in lol, 
    my shoes are 5inch and my dress is a big poofy ball gown style  :o  So gonna have trouble sitting or standing :D   :D
    My back and feet just hurt reading this! LOL
  • Other than the "Catholic Workout", drive between ceremony/reception and hotel, and dinner - I really didn't have the chance to sit in my dress and by then I figured out the most comfortable contortion so it was manageable.  Once you get through the alterations process with it, the fabric will "relax" a little bit so by the time you get to the wedding it'll be tolerable.  For the little amount of time you'll be unable to slouch while sitting in your dress it's not worth a second dress IMO.  
  • SP29 said:
    I sat only for dinner.

I agree that shoe comfort is way more important than dress comfort ;). I ended up barefoot by the end- and my feet were dirty!
    AMEN!!!  Shoe comfort first!!!!  If your feet aren't comfortable the rest of you won't be!