Chit Chat
Options

Things you only hear in my house

drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited December 2016 in Chit Chat
Just for fun, are there any phrases you know would only be said in your house?

I had that thought today when Loki cat (who is so fluffy I can see tufts of floof fly off him when he walks) was sniffing around the quiche I made for a quick and easy breakfast this week.

"Don't floof the quiche"

Anyone else have to say these random, crazy things?h

Re: Things you only hear in my house

• Options
    "Don't eat Mama's/Auntie's hair," said to Oliver, the oldest cat.

"Don't eat my shoes," said to Moose, the dog.
  • Options
    "Don't be a ruiner beag." This is typically said to one or both of my beagles if they are getting into mischief, however this has also evolved to include good natured teasing of myself or DH if one of us is doing something silly (e.g., forgot to pick something up at the store, or both of us fed the dogs dinner, etc.)
  • Options
    We repeat lines from YouTube videos. Our most common ones are:
    Listen Linda
    Take care ya'self
    [Truman] bit me and it hurt.
  • Options
    "A big disgrace"

Messed up inside joke between me & DH stemming from the lyrics to "We Will Rock You"

Also, "swimsuit zone".  DH and I teach Sunday school to 7-10 year olds.  We.are required to teach a lesson called "Sacred & Safe" regarding sexual predators and inappropriate touch.  So, in the class, we use the term "swimsuit zone" to refer to private body parts (covered by swimsuits).
  • Options

"I have been menage'd."  This is in reference to the word "menagerie".  It explains a situation when both our dog and cat have descended down upon one of us, at the same time.  Like they are both sitting in my lap or one is on my lap and the other is right next to me.

"Fluffy Rumps" refers to our cat's rear end.  She is a Manx breed and was born without a tail.  So she just has a "fluffy rump" where her tail would normally be. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    "King BOB."  A mishmash of Fresh Prince (supposedly?  according to DH?) and the Minion movie.  Started out as just BOB (Big ole butt), which irritated me because I took offense to it even though DH meant it as a compliment... but now when he does the Minion voice, I just die a little.  My rear is royalty.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2016
    I can only think of two right now, and both have to do with food misunderstandings.  FI used to be an extreme picky eater when we first met--I'm talking fewer than a dozen total foods that he would eat.  So suffice it to say that he had only the most rudimentary understanding of anything related to food.  

We call normal granulated sugar "that powdered sugar that's sort of clear and granular" because that's how he once described what kind of doughnut he got, and lettuce is "the lettuce that is not cabbage" due to a grocery shopping snafu in the early days.
  • Options
    Any conversation about a dead body in the trunk.

"Oh my knee" - with my mum, us making fun of my dad

referring to "ducks" when someone farts {couch ducks if you're sitting}
  • Options
    "There's a rainstorm.  Check the workout room for poop".

Do I need to explain this?

• Options
    "Shibby" - which is a word my parents actually made up but H & I use it regularly. It means "shivery" - as in: "I'm going to put on a sweater because it's kind of shibby in here."

"Small gallon" - which was actually coined accidentally by my college roommate who, bless her heart, thought the gallon was the shape, not the unit of measurement. It means a half gallon.
  • Options
    We quote Family Guy. A lot. (Mostly Ollie Williams.)

"Hey hon, do you want soup?" "Only if it's CHUNKAY!"
    "What's the weather going to be today?" "IT GONE RAIN!"

"I TOLD YA."

DH also has a cleft in his chin so sometimes I say, "Your chin.. it looks like... a balls."

• Options

"...a Food Lion" which is in reference to our small orange cat that we nicked-named after the "Food Lion" Supermarkets Logo who has a tendency to fail at the little things.  For Example, If I trip over something, he will say, "you pulled a food lion". 

Our other cat is nicked named "The Beast"...but this isn't used in a sentence so much as an adjective from time to time...we are strange.

• Options
    "RICE!! Do you want RICE!?" - literally what my mum and I say with any mention of rice
  • Options
    edited December 2016

This thread is awesome.

I have lots of pet related ones. I have a *very* special singing voice that I use for my dogs along with several sayings. My dog steals my seat on the couch every single time I get up, and the only way I can get her to move is if I say "scoochies". I have no idea how that one started. We also say "butt waggles" a lot in reference to her wagging her little nub tail.

DH and I say "good game" after we have sex. Pretty much every time.

ETA- also "The Walmarks" instead of Walmart. We knew an elderly person who said that all the time.  

• Options

"I TOLD YA."

DH also has a cleft in his chin so sometimes I say, "Your chin.. it looks like... a balls."

The Family Guy quote we use if someone else makes a funny flub, though we don't usually use it on each other, is "Yeah, Mandolin!"

From the Brian ditzy ex g/f (voiced by Drew Barrymore) who was introducing her new b/f and said, "He speaks Orange!"  New b/f corrected her and said, "That's Mandarin, honey."  Her, "Yeah, Mandolin!"

Brian's phrase I'll say to my H, if we're at a bar, "Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini (or insert drink I want) around here?"  It's just extra fun that I do indeed, like dry martinis and often order them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

"I TOLD YA."

we do similar - "IT'S RAININ SIDE WAYS!!"
  • Options
    "I know" in response to anything romantic/sentimental.

When we'd been dating a few months and I was in the "I'm pretty sure I love this guy but I'm not ready to tell him yet" stage, he was leaving my house, and I said "You're really hard to say goodbye to" and he said "I know". He claims he meant "I know how you feel, you're also really hard to say goodbye to". But, he didn't, and it was hilarious.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    drglitter said:
    "I know" in response to anything romantic/sentimental.

When we'd been dating a few months and I was in the "I'm pretty sure I love this guy but I'm not ready to tell him yet" stage, he was leaving my house, and I said "You're really hard to say goodbye to" and he said "I know". He claims he meant "I know how you feel, you're also really hard to say goodbye to". But, he didn't, and it was hilarious.
    Lol! Similarly, we say "thanks" to a lot of sentimental stuff. DH is the worst at coming up with responses when I say sweet things, so he's been known to say "thanks" and think it was a valid response. He has since realized the error of his ways so now we say it as a joke :)