Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Our photographer is asking me not to wear white for our engagement photos?

So my fiance and I can't afford a professional photographer so we hired a newbie, which is cool with me, we're not paying anything for the engagement shoot so I'm trying to just be grateful. But the lady we hired is bringing her kids, was reluctant to shoot any later than 10 am even though I live 2 hours from the location she picked without our input. She's also asking me not to wear white and hasn't responded when I mentioned I had a White skirt specifically for the occasion. Im feeling kind of frustrated, am I expecting too much? Is this typical or should I say something to her?

Re: Our photographer is asking me not to wear white for our engagement photos?

• Options
    So my fiance and I can't afford a professional photographer so we hired a newbie, which is cool with me, we're not paying anything for the engagement shoot so I'm trying to just be grateful. But the lady we hired is bringing her kids, was reluctant to shoot any later than 10 am even though I live 2 hours from the location she picked without our input. She's also asking me not to wear white and hasn't responded when I mentioned I had a White skirt specifically for the occasion. Im feeling kind of frustrated, am I expecting too much? Is this typical or should I say something to her?
    Did she say why she thinks you shouldn't wear white? As for the time, are there specific locations you're going to where you have to be out by a certain time, or you need early morning sun light? Also, she picked the location without you? That seems odd to me. 
  • Options
    Did she say why she thinks you shouldn't wear white? As for the time, are there specific locations you're going to where you have to be out by a certain time, or you need early morning sun light? Also, she picked the location without you? That seems odd to me. 
    She didn't give any actual reasons about not wearing white she said "for many reasons when shooting in the northwest" Which doesnt make sense to me. She picked a park even though I requested an indoor area. She said she prefers morning light but that means I have to leave my house REALLY early to drop off my dog with my mom first in order to be there  10.
  • Options

Personally, it sounds like you have different visions. I would arrange a chat to discuss what you would like and then find out why she would like to go a different route. If you can't find common ground I would find someone else. If this is the person that is shooting your wedding, this could be a big red flag that you might have problems getting the shots that you want.

You may try going the contract route to spell out the specifics for the wedding if you can't/won't find someone new.

• Options
    I ended up talking to her, but she completely cancelled on us.
  • Options
    Dang that stinks OP, but maybe that was for the best since you were able to figure that it wasn't going to work before the day of the wedding. I wish you the best of luck in finding another photographer, try posting in our local boards to see if others have suggestions?
  • Options
    That sucks OP, but sounds like you dodged a bullet. What about reaching out to local art schools with photography programs. If your budget is small, this might be another way to get good pictures without spending a ton. I hired a recent MFA grad to do our wedding and she was fantastic. 
  • Options
    I think we lucked out actually, We interviewed a photographer today after posting on a local Facebook page, her prices are insanely affordable and her pictures are gorgeous. We booked her on the spot and she threw an engagement session for half price when she heard about the last photographer. I'm feeling pretty blessed right now. :)
  • Options
    White can difficult to photograph, you need to know how to meter properly for it. This is what happens when you hire an inexperienced photog, at least she was trying to work within her limitations. Remember, you get what you pay for. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016
    Even had she not canceled on you, I think you're better off having found a new photographer with whom you can be on the same page. What was the former one going to do at your wedding, when presumably you would be wearing an all-white bridal gown? 

Best of luck!
  • Options
    IMO this is the best reason to do an engagement shoot! That way you get to see if you actually like your photographer and if you work well together before the big day. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.
  • Options
    I hope your shoot went well!

working with new photogs can be hard when they're trying to get their act together (I've been there a few years back 0.0 ) She should not have picked the location without consulting with you first however and I hope you were able to talk to her about that.  

My guess is, when she picked the location, she realized that white might not have been the best color for that area. As a photographer, it's our job to consult clients and let them know what colors are going to work best in what areas. But again, she should have talked to you first about this. Had she done that, she would have known you already had a white outfit that you wanted to wear and should have worked with you to pick another location.

As for the time, since she's a new photographer, she was probably trying to avoid harsh lighting, which is difficult for even seasoned photographers to work with, especially if you don't have an assistant to reflect or black out lighting for you. But, if she wanted to do it at 10am (which is actually pushing it kinda late for the good lighting actually) she should not have chosen a spot 2 hours away from you. That just crazy. I would never ask my clients to drive that far unless they wanted too.

Anyways, this is longer than i meant it to be lol, but I hope the shoot went well!! and if not, then don't use her for the wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker