Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

I still don't have my photos...

I was married on April 2 of this year and immediately reviewed my vendors after the wedding.  I left my photographer a great review, she did a great job!  She sent me the link to proofs of my wedding so I've seen the photos and they're fantastic, but I can't actually have and own the photos without downloading them and paying for them.  That was not part of the agreement with my photographer, we paid for the photos and an album up front so we will be receiving the photos in USB form but I've reached out to her multiple times and it's always an excuse as to why the USB isn't ready.  At this point it's been 8 months since my wedding and I'm getting very impatient.  Should i review her again and let other brides know what happened after the wedding?  I feel it's very unfair that I paid full up front and then have been here waiting for my pictures for this long.  Help!  

Re: I still don't have my photos...

• I would send her a registered letter stating that you want the USB within X amount of time. I would also include a copy of your signed contract with the areas highlighted that say what you were to receive and by when. If that doesn't work - small claims court?
  • Change your review so others know. That alone can light a fire because small businesses don't want bad reviews. Start with what ILBM says- a registered letter can work. If the person has violated your contract, politely point that out. You can politely mention that if she doesn't abide by the contract that you will pursue further action. You can try small claims, you can try the BBB. Personally, I had the same issue and though it took months, both the State's Attorney and city Consumer Complaints boards got me resolution. 

• Has she responded to you when you've inquired about the hold up? If she's still in contact with you I would hold off on changing your review until you have your photos. I agree with @ILoveBeachMusic; send a registered letter, detail where in the contract the terms of the USB and timelines are laid out, and provide a reasonable deadline for when you want them (i.e. saying I want them in one business day or I'm pursuing legal action, but a 10 days to 2 weeks would be fine, IMO). I would also detail what your further action will be if she does not comply (BBB, small claims court, etc. ). 

I would definitely change the review after you have a resolution, although I would hesitate to do it while she's still in contact with you and you're considering pursuing legal or other action if she has violated the contact. 
  • Review your contract with her (either in person or by phone). Some photogs are not completely clear in their contracts about prints and release, because it can be confusing and intimidating to talk about. However, it is REALLY common in the wedding industry to have to buy your photos al crate, but you USB and CD are free. Call her and find out if that is indeed the case. Regardless of that tho, you should have you album, as that bit is pretty cut and dry.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker