Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Wedding albums as Christmas gifts?

Hi all!
I got married on Sept 25 and just received the link to download my pictures. I want to make albums for our parents and siblings and thought about giving them that as their Christmas gift this year. My husband thinks it is tacky to do that as they should get the albums anyway. 
Thoughts? Insight?

Re: Wedding albums as Christmas gifts?

• What do you normally get your parents for Christmas? Does H usually have a say in that? I did that last year for my parents and in laws. My parents loved it, as of Easter H's parents had not taken the shrink wrap plastic off to look at the photos. Oh well.

I wouldn't give my siblings an album. Maybe a framed photo of you as part if the gift but I wouldn't want another person's album unless it was my childs- just seems AW-ish

• I'm not a big fan, personally.  A book of pictures of you doesn't seem like much of a present.  Your wedding is never going to be as important to other people as it is/was to you. 

I suppose it might work for parents, maybe, if they are the types to be into that sort of thing.  But siblings?  That is an even bigger stretch.
  • I wouldn't do it for siblings but for parents, I think it is a nice gift. I wish DD had given us one. I also have heard of couples giving an album as a Thank you to the parents.
  • I'm not a big fan, personally.  A book of pictures of you doesn't seem like much of a present.  Your wedding is never going to be as important to other people as it is/was to you. 

I suppose it might work for parents, maybe, if they are the types to be into that sort of thing.  But siblings?  That is an even bigger stretch.

I agree with this. If you were already going to give albums to your parents, it should have nothing to do with Christmas.

And I don't know your family dynamic, but I would find it weird as hell for my brother to give me an album of his wedding photos as a gift.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I framed a photo of my sister and her now H from the wedding, in addition to the type of gift I would normally give them. And printed some cute shots, but wouldn't do that as their only gift. Just not our dynamic. 
  • I wouldn't do it for siblings but for parents, I think it is a nice gift. I wish DD had given us one. I also have heard of couples giving an album as a Thank you to the parents.

We gave our parents albums after the fact, but it was more of a thank you, not in lieu of a Christmas gift.  I agree that it feels a little self-involved to give someone basically a stack of photos of yourself as a gift. 
  • Cool. Thanks everyone for your response. It seems fairly unanimous to give albums to the parents but as thank you gifts. We each only have one sibling whom we love and respect deeply. I figured with the timing it would be ok. We didn't do programs or any other keepsakes for the wedding, so for these people in particular I thought it would be appropriate. But I like the suggestions of a nice framed photo for them instead. Plus it'll be less expensive. I know my SD wants an album, too. So I'll give her a mini-album keepsake. It is her dad and new step-mom after all. 

This is a bit of a relief too because I want to make really nice full page full overlay books. I'm looking into Artifact Uprising. They are costly, but the quality looks totally worth it. And if I only do 4 (us, SD & parents) that should be within our budget. 

Thanks again!
  • Cool. Thanks everyone for your response. It seems fairly unanimous to give albums to the parents but as thank you gifts. We each only have one sibling whom we love and respect deeply. I figured with the timing it would be ok. We didn't do programs or any other keepsakes for the wedding, so for these people in particular I thought it would be appropriate. But I like the suggestions of a nice framed photo for them instead. Plus it'll be less expensive. I know my SD wants an album, too. So I'll give her a mini-album keepsake. It is her dad and new step-mom after all. 

This is a bit of a relief too because I want to make really nice full page full overlay books. I'm looking into Artifact Uprising. They are costly, but the quality looks totally worth it. And if I only do 4 (us, SD & parents) that should be within our budget. 

Thanks again!
    Just a thought here--I wouldn't give your step daughter a lesser album than the other ones you are giving out.  If other family members get full albums and you know she wants an album, I feel strongly that you should give her the same one so she doesn't feel singled out and unwelcome.
  • My sister gave both sets of parents an album and I got a framed photo of my sister and me from her wedding day. All were given as Christmas gifts. My Mom still talks about how much she loved that Christmas gift, I was more on the fence about Christmas gift vs. a thank you gift.

We are getting our parents albums and will be giving as part of a Christmas gift which I think is appropriate considering my Mom's reaction to the previous album.

• I'm a wedding photographer and I just finished wrapping a lot of albums to ship out as Christmas/ holiday gifts for parents so it' not a bad idea lol. I know it's a bit late for you, but for siblings (depending on how old they are) I would suggest doing other photo gifts, such as an ordainment, accordion album, playing cards etc.. most online print shops should have them, including shutterfly  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker