Wedding Woes
Options

Multi- cultural wedding

HI! My fiance and I are from different countries (I'm American, he's Norwegian) and are finding we actually have quite a few cultural differences when it comes to weddings. The wedding and reception #1 are in my home town and reception #2 will be in his hometown a month or so later. 

He has expressed that he doesn't want his Norwegian heritage to be forgotten about in the wedding planning (I'm planning everything, as he is working in Norway atm). I am keen to do that, but I'm not sure how much I should do ( as majority of guests will be American) or how I'm going to get anything Norwegian in Indiana! 

I'm curious what other brides have done to incorporate their finances culture into the wedding, and where you got ideas from.

Re: Multi- cultural wedding

• Options
    HI! My fiance and I are from different countries (I'm American, he's Norwegian) and are finding we actually have quite a few cultural differences when it comes to weddings. The wedding and reception #1 are in my home town and reception #2 will be in his hometown a month or so later. 

He has expressed that he doesn't want his Norwegian heritage to be forgotten about in the wedding planning (I'm planning everything, as he is working in Norway atm). I am keen to do that, but I'm not sure how much I should do ( as majority of guests will be American) or how I'm going to get anything Norwegian in Indiana! 

I'm curious what other brides have done to incorporate their finances culture into the wedding, and where you got ideas from.
    I got ideas from my DH. No one knew his culture better than him (and his family).  Ask your FI what specifically he'd like to be incorporated into your ceremony and reception here in the US...that'd be the best place to start.  
    When you're meeting with vendors, ask them about their familiarity with your FI's culture.  We didn't book a caterer until we found one that made delicious pupusas, platanos, etc. (some of my IL's culturally significant foods)...we made sure our DJ could play plenty of salsa/merengue/bachata, and that our MC spoke Spanish, etc.
  • Options
    Thank you guys! 
    I think I really need to call his mom to get ideas. Whenever I ask him, he gives me really vague answers, which is pretty typical haha. Maybe this will help me get closer with his mom, too.
  • Options

It is a shame your FI can't be more specific!  If my hypothetical fiance in another country was planning and trying to incorporate American "traditions" in the ceremony and reception for me, there are a lot of "traditions" that I don't care about.  And some that I really like and would want.  But I wouldn't expect him to be a mind reader!

I think that's great you are going to use this as a way to get closer to and include his mom in the planning.  I'd make a list of Norwegian traditions.  Figure out which ones are doable.  And then ask him from your specific list which ones he wants to include and which ones aren't as important.

Good luck with your planning!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2017
    I would tell him to ask his mother.  If he can't tell you what he wants, that's his problem to solve.

Also, kransekake cake:

and the snarky party of me is all:

Well, I can't get let me google that for you to work, but I'm sure "Norwegian wedding customs" will bring up something.