Chit Chat
Options

New Yorkers!

My BFF and I are taking our annual girls trip to NY next month.  I'd love recommendations for your favorite things....food, bars, nightlife, shopping, sightseeing etc.  Preferably, things actual New Yorkers do and not just the tourist stuff.

I haven't been since I was 18 and I am so excited.

Re: New Yorkers!

• Options
    I'm not a New Yorker but my friend who lives there loves S'mac (mac and cheese restaurant) and Butter (amazing restaurant with sinful desserts and drinks).
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    If you like theater, consider the off-off-Broadway shows. They can be a lot of fun and are a helluva lot cheaper than Broadway or off-Broadway shows.

You can also check out the magazine TimeOut New York while you're there to see if anything listed appeals to you. There are various clubs, good "hole in the wall" restaurants, walking tours if weather permits, and things along those lines.

In terms of clubs, again it depends on your interests. There are a number of comedy clubs like Carolines on Broadway, the Slipper Room, and the Comedy Cellar, as well as places like Marquee (nightclub) and Fat Cat (more of a dive/billiards place). There is ice skating and other things at Chelsea Piers.

And there are lots of museums.

It depends on your interests and your budget.
  • Options
    I'm a former New Yorker who goes back to visit every 6 months or so. When I went in October, I went to the Upright Citizens Brigade for the first time and it was great (if you're at all in to comedy). The show I saw was hilarious, and its pretty cheap. 
  • Options
    Mmmm ditto S'mac @ernursej

I love going down to the South Street Seaport and seeing the east river, looking across at Brooklyn and Queens, and there are some good bars in the area (some even with happy hour specials) on the little side streets between the subway and the water.  If you like Mexican, El Rio Grande has terrific margaritas and table-side guac (and entrees)...it's on 3rd Avenue and I think 38th St.  While you're on 3rd in the 30s, there are other good bars there (although I've heard that the atmosphere has gotten a very college feel in the last couple years).  I used to love the area for happy hour drinks when i worked in the city in my 20s.  It sounds cliche, but there are some terrific Italian bakeries downtown (Veniero's, Ferrara's) if you like cannoli and nostalgia.  All of my Italian restaurant recommendations are in Queens.

I know you said no tourist-y stuff, but: Broadway week (2-for-1 tix) and Restaurant week both wrap up Feb 5-10th or so, an inexpensive chance to see a show or try a restaurant you're interested in but are usually too expensive.  And The Highline is totally worth walking along if you have a day that's not too cold.  Have fun!  And don't walk too slow!  Jk...I'm not a mean NYer :D

• Options
    eileenrob said:

I know you said no tourist-y stuff, but: Broadway week (2-for-1 tix) and Restaurant week both wrap up Feb 5-10th or so, an inexpensive chance to see a show or try a restaurant you're interested in but are usually too expensive.  And The Highline is totally worth walking along if you have a day that's not too cold.  Have fun!  And don't walk too slow!  Jk...I'm not a mean NYer :D

Damn, we fly in on the 10th!

Don't worry, Detroiters are fast walkers and talkers too!
  • Options
    A few suggestions:

-Brooklyn Museum - often has really interesting exhibits and not quite as crowded as some of the art museums in Manhattan, though those are all pretty amazing too, of course. 

- Village Vanguard or Jazz Standard for live jazz

- Sotto 13 in the West Village for pizza and drinks 

- Rocco's in the Village for dessert/coffee 

- Foley's near the Empire State Building - it's an Irish pub/sports bar with lots of memorabilia all over the place and great burgers. Personal favorite of mine. 

- Riverside Park if you get a nice day while you're here. 

- If you do want to see a Broadway show while you're here, I'd say consider going to TKTS in Times Square (only reason to go to Times Square, really) for discounted same-day tickets. You will probably be waiting in line for a while so either go on a warmer day or bundle up. You're kind of stuck with whatever is available, so have a few shows in mind that you'd be interested in seeing...but fear not, I once got half price orchestra tickets to a Best Musical Tony winner on a Saturday afternoon! 

- It's a bit of a pain to get to, but if you're willing to make the trip, Arthur Avenue in the Bronx has some of the best Italian food in America.  I especially recommend Emilia's or Zero Otto Nove. 

Hope this helps! 

• Options
    eileenrob said:

I love going down to the South Street Seaport and seeing the east river, looking across at Brooklyn and Queens, and there are some good bars in the area (some even with happy hour specials) on the little side streets between the subway and the water.  If you like Mexican, El Rio Grande has terrific margaritas and table-side guac (and entrees)...it's on 3rd Avenue and I think 38th St.  While you're on 3rd in the 30s, there are other good bars there (although I've heard that the atmosphere has gotten a very college feel in the last couple years).  I used to love the area for happy hour drinks when i worked in the city in my 20s.  It sounds cliche, but there are some terrific Italian bakeries downtown (Veniero's, Ferrara's) if you like cannoli and nostalgia.  All of my Italian restaurant recommendations are in Queens.

Squee!!!  I randomly went there on my last trip to NYC.  I usually wouldn't eat Mexican food in NYC, but it was Cinco de Mayo and we were starving as we happened to walk past.  No offense to Mexican food in NYC.  I'd just rather save my meals while there for types of restaurants/food they are more famous for.

Amen, sister!  It sounds weird, but that is one of my favorite things about going back home to CA or visiting the East Coast or Chicago.  People MOVE.THEIR. ASS.  I've lived in the South for 15 years and it still drives me nuts how slow people walk and drive.  I've just never gotten used to the slower pace.  I'm 5'0" tall and breeze past men a foot taller than me, like they're standing still, all the time.

Contrary to the stereotype, I found people in NYC to be very helpful and welcoming.  Or maybe they just recognized a kindred urban spirit who can walk and talk as fast as they do, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2017
    I really like Dim Sum Go Go. Great food, Chinatown experience, but you order from a checklist instead of carts so you know what you're getting. 

If if you're on the UWS, the New York Historical Society has a lovely cafe, or across the park the Neue Gallery's two cafes (the one in the basement has the same food without the line) have the best cake ever. 

Ballet tickets are usually cheaper than Broadway if you want to catch some sort of performance.

and I'd go downtown. The 9/11 museum is probably a bit intense for a fun weekend, but the memorial is well worth the time. 
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    I'm not a New Yorker but my friend who lives there loves S'mac (mac and cheese restaurant) and Butter (amazing restaurant with sinful desserts and drinks).
    I have no suggestions since I'm obviously not a New Yorker, but I'm going to be super jealous/ kind of fangirl-y if you go to Butter. The owner/executive chef is a judge on Chopped, which is one of my favorite shows. I'd love to go there someday!

• Options
    ernursej said:
    I have no suggestions since I'm obviously not a New Yorker, but I'm going to be super jealous/ kind of fangirl-y if you go to Butter. The owner/executive chef is a judge on Chopped, which is one of my favorite shows. I'd love to go there someday!
    My friends and I used to get late night drunk at the old Lafayette st location in the early 2000s. 
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    ernursej said:

I've been to Butter twice and saw Alex once. I was really proud that I didn't ask for her autograph as I thought she looked busy. My friend goes to Butter all the time and has talked with Alex and says that she is really nice!
  • Options
    eileenrob said:

Squee!!!  I randomly went there on my last trip to NYC.  I usually wouldn't eat Mexican food in NYC, but it was Cinco de Mayo and we were starving as we happened to walk past.  No offense to Mexican food in NYC.  I'd just rather save my meals while there for types of restaurants/food they are more famous for.

Amen, sister!  It sounds weird, but that is one of my favorite things about going back home to CA or visiting the East Coast or Chicago.  People MOVE.THEIR. ASS.  I've lived in the South for 15 years and it still drives me nuts how slow people walk and drive.  I've just never gotten used to the slower pace.  I'm 5'0" tall and breeze past men a foot taller than me, like they're standing still, all the time.

Contrary to the stereotype, I found people in NYC to be very helpful and welcoming.  Or maybe they just recognized a kindred urban spirit who can walk and talk as fast as they do, lol.

Lol.  I worked in the field back in my SW days but the office was based in Herald Square (34th/Broadway).  Tourists stopped me all the time to ask where Macy's was, or Penn Station, or somewhere else.  I felt like I was always friendly and helpful, and if I didn't chit chat past the question being answered it was because I was running late for a meeting with my boss or a visit with a patient.  So I do understand when people say NYers aren't as friendly as people in other parts of the country...tourists are on vacation in a place full of people in the middle of their work day. 
    My parents have a second home in NH and we all love the different way of living (for vacation).  We'd all try to slow down (driving, walking) and be extremely friendly.  One year we even made "NH names" for each other...I think I was Wendy.  No idea why (especially since Eileen isn't exactly a badass NY name)...we were nuts. :D
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I sat down this morning to write these all down and finally clicked on this link. Hands down, best tips!  
  • Options
    Hmm things actual New Yorkers do... we love going to the high line on a nice day! (It's by my job and many people have lunch there). Other people go to clubs, I don't go to them, but there's a few by St. Marks that friends go to. There are bars for all kinds of people, like Barcade, a bar with vintage arcade games, there's the famous Beer Garden in Astoria. There's also various Speakeasies in the Village and other locations, you should be able to find a list of them and how to get into one online.

With food try dim sum in Canal (Or Flushing Queens), try amazing Indian and Colombian food in Jackson Heights Queens, authentic Greek and Italian food in Astoria, Queens (The best/most diverse food is in Queens but I'm biased). Koreatown near the Empire state building is another great location for food.

Sites. Any Botanic garden is great but the best one is in the Bronx, it's enormous and there's a small river with so many paths to get lost in, might be too cold in February but you never know with the weird weather. New Yorkers still go to Coney Island mostly, but the rides are so expensive now! I typically go there with FH to walk on the boardwalk and eat mangoes with chili powder :P.  Prospect park was designed by the same landscape architects as Central park, essentially inspired by English gardens, so it's just as beautiful but not as crowded. The MTA museum is really interesting, they have the real train cars from each era that you can walk into.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was going to suggest "Stay Classy, New York" bar...but found out it closed in December.

I got nothing.