Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Natural hair and weddings

Has any one else had any difficulty finding wedding-appropriate hairstyles for natural hair?  I have tried searching prom styles, formal styles, and bridal styles.  Maybe I am overthinking what I would like.

I have been engaged now for 16 months and have been back and forth on what I could do with my hair that would be elegant yet comfortable on my wedding day.  My fiancé (who is ever so traditional and actually wanted the wedding; I voted courthouse) would like for me to wear a blusher.  So I made a chapel veil with a blusher in ivory to match my dress.  Now I need to find a hairstyle that would look decent with the blusher veil as well.

Any suggestions?  I read that on your wedding day, it may be better to work with your own texture than to go against it for the sake of appearances.  Just having this hair everyday to deal with, I completely agree.  I have medium length hair that comes to either my shoulders or my chin depending on the curl shrinkage that day or longer if blown out.

HELP!!!  The most recent post I could find on TK regarding natural hair was from 2013.

Re: Natural hair and weddings

• I would probably seek out a stylist to review your hair and what might work best with it and your blusher. Good luck!

• Unfortunately at the moment a stylist is not in the budget.  There also may not be time to get my hair done the morning of the wedding either.  So I am looking for some hair inspiration that I could achieve on my own.
  • Have you thought about a hair college? Most times very cheap and it could be a session where you talk about your specific hair, styles that would work and then how you would actually do your hair that day or the day before. I can't imagine a wedding timeline where you wouldn't have time to do your hair in the morning. Most salons will open their doors early if you ask and there might be a professional or semi professional that could even come to you. Might want to post on the local boards to find someone in your city. The other thing to do is try youtube. Lots of channels where people discuss and showcase hairstyling. Find someone with similar hair and watch. Then practice, practice, practice ...
  • The last time I went to a hair college, it took them 5 hours to do my hair.  Normally I prefer to go to hair colleges for these services, but I will not have that kind of time the morning before the wedding.  On top of that, sitting for that long made me irritable. 

I live in the Atlanta metro area.  Unfortunately my side of town has very few salons that cater to natural hair, so I would have to drive 30-45 minutes each way downtown the morning of the wedding to get my hair done and be back by 1pm for my makeup appointment.  It is a little too tight for my comfort.

I have tried (and am still trying) YT and the styles either did not look right because my hair was too short or they just weren't elegant enough.  Perhaps I am being too critical, but this is my first time being able to wear my natural hair for a formal occasion and I guess I would like for it to be special.

• @Jazzykins87 That sucks so much! I live in Atlanta too and the struggle is real with getting anywhere in a decent amount of time! I would really really really try to find a way to make room in your budget to hire someone to come to for your wedding day. Like you said, this is a special occasion and you deserve it! Is there a way you can stretch to save an extra $50 for a few months? I can't imagine it wouldn't cost more than $150 to $200 even with travel fees and everything.

Why won't there be time the morning of your wedding? Are you having an early afternoon/late morning ceremony?

• Anyway, I found this Pinterest board of natural hair up-dos. There are a couple with tutorials and some of the ideas are really pretty! I really love this one, except if you don't want to do the braid you could find a really pretty bridal headband that coordinates with your dress!

This is the link to the board - https://www.pinterest.com/aishaandlife/natural-hair-updos/ I hope this helps!

• From some googling I found most doing what was posted above, some kind of up-do, pony tail or bun, with slick sides. 

If you keep having a tough time with it I'd talk to FI. Sure, he wants a blusher, but when he realizes it might be difficult for you to do he might change his mind. 
  • Thank you, Knotties!  The slicked back bun or puff is what I came across the most.  Coincidentally, it's my normal go-to style for a wash-n-go so I know for sure it works and looks good on me.  I actually tried to dress up my puff, but it's safe to say this is one of those occasions where you shouldn't go with your everyday go-to.  It is my backup though in case something goes wrong since it holds up in all weather! 

FI is very traditional and this is one of the only things he's asked for (besides the wedding itself) and is what he's always envisioned when he got married.  I will let him have it.

The reason why the time is so tight is because unlike many brides, I will be doing this stuff alone.  Driving alone to the hair salon, alone to check in early to the hotel that morning, alone to do any last minute things, alone to the makeup appointment, and alone to the venue.  I do not have a bridal party and people have not offered to accompany me (though it may be too early).  My family does not live here and will be staying in a different part of town.  So I need to plan this as if I will have no help.

I am getting married in 6 weeks!  So I can't save up.  I did some more digging around my side of town and will be doing a trial at a salon.  I desperately need a trim so while I'm there I'll have them make style suggestions.  They seem to be the only ones with decent reviews who can handle natural hair without straightening it first, so I will give them a try.  If I like them, I will save a part of my tax refund for hair if I can get it in time.

In the meantime, I will definitely keep running home trials via YT and checking out more on that Pinterest board courtesy of  @labro.  Thanks for that one!

• @Jazzykins87 Good luck with this salon! I'm sorry you don't have a lot of help on your wedding day. Maybe your FI can handle hotel check in? You don't have to do this all by yourself! You aren't the only one getting married here!

Anyway, when I get a tax refund the federal government usually gets me my money in less than a week and the State of Georgia is equally quick, especially if you can do it via direct deposit to your account! I definitely think pro is the way to go here!

• i stumbled across this article online and loved the style! 

http://offbeatbride.com/2015/05/floral-afro

I can't use it, I have shakira level curls, no fro, but I thought it was so pretty I hope someone puts it to good use!

• Not sure if you had your appointment yet, but the last side swept up do in the PP link was what I was thinking. Blisters are cute when they're off to the side so if your hair is long enough, pin it to one side, otherwise just pin one side up. 
  • What about pinning one side up & so it go towards the back or even have the curls flow over your head to the other side & attach the veil to the side that you've swept up? Or pull it back to high but loose pony tail. Go onto google and search "natural curly hair wedding updo" and click on "images" and a lot of different options come up. Not sure of your ethnicity, but depending on how curly your hair is, but if it's a tighter curl, check out some of the looks on some of the African American models.
  • For those with natural hair out there, I wound up doing a nice roll in back and adorning it with silver hair pieces.  It worked well and did not frizz.  Thanks for the help and let me know if you would like to see a picture.
  • You can for sure use the hair accessory to  give your hairs a beautiful look. Floral accessories look beautiful on natural hairs.
  • I love natural hair, is beautiful .You can substitute locs for mini twists  http://newaylook.com/best-natural-hair-updos-styles/ love this style because it can easily be modified and pinned in endless different ways from fully loose pinned in various ways with flowers or a bridal headpiece. 

This is a dead thread and the OP has deleted her account. Please don't resurrect old threads - it is bad internet etiquette.
  • I would suggest going natural. I mean of course style yourself but keep hairstyle simple. A simple hair brush straightener and comb had worked for me. haha :)
  • terrymiterrymi member
    First Comment
    edited May 2021
    I have 4c (really coily) natural African-American hair and want to have a straight hairstyle for my wedding which is in 3 months. Flat ironing doesn't really work on my hair leaving it dull and even frizzy. I'm thinking about relaxing, but I've never done it before. I've read multiple articles saying it can be done at home, but I'd still go to the salon. Does anyone have experience relaxing their hair, any tips? 
  • maine7mobmaine7mob member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2021
    @terrymi I would definitely do this well before your wedding in case you have a reaction. My hair is curly (not as curly as yours, though--2C/3A) and prone to frizz and dryness, and I had a horrible reaction to a Brazilian blowout that I was not expecting. The last thing you want is a leathery rash on your wedding day

Maybe your salon can let you test the relaxer on your skin before they use it on you?