Wedding Etiquette Forum

Problems with FMIL

My fiancé and I are getting married this fall and his brother is getting married within a few months of us. We were able to plan pretty much everything within the first couple months of our engagement, including the fact that we do not want attendants as we are having an extremely small (family and VERY close friends only) destination wedding. His brother is in a similar situation. However, their mother is regularly (every time we talk) telling me how offended and deeply hurt that she is that the brothers are not having each other stand up in their weddings. 

The thing is they love each other and are happy for each other, but are not very close. If they had someone standing up, they would not choose each other first. But now their mom is trying to guilt-trip them into having each other. 

Also she is constantly talking bad about myself and my FSIL as she does not want her boys ever getting married. It isn't that she doesn't like us, but she does not want to ever lose her boys and see them with a woman other than her (I should also mention they are both in their mid/late 30s so it's not as if they are young and had just left the house). 

But one of the things that has been the biggest issue is that his parents are divorced and have been for 25+ years. She claims that she cannot get over it even for one day and being near his dad is unacceptable. His dad is more than accommodating and said he will be pleasant and has no issues with putting things aside for the day. She will not. She keeps trying to arrange things to leave his dad out and make his dad feel bad. 

It has gotten to the point that each time she calls us every word is negative and she has nothing but awful things to say to us about our wedding and has made this event, which was supposed to be joyous, something that we are almost dreading. We've talked about canceling our wedding all-together and just eloping, losing the couple thousand we have already secured in deposits.

Advice on how to handle her? My fiancé doesn't feel right having a conversation with her that if she keeps up the behavior she won't be welcome, though that's how he feels. I've spoken my mind to her several times and shared that she is being hurtful to us and she told me that it isn't about us. It's about her and we should only be thinking of her. 

(I should also mention that she is not contributing financially to the wedding in any way. We are paying with the assistance of my parents)

Re: Problems with FMIL

• I agree with the others.  I hope you are able to find joy in your wedding and marriage in spite of this negativity.  This book is also a good resource.
  • Oh brother, sounds like you may want to start checking out https://www.reddit.com/r/JUSTNOMIL/

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I've spoken my mind to her several times and shared that she is being hurtful to us and she told me that it isn't about us. It's about her and we should only be thinking of her.
    OK I agree with everyone else that you need to simply remain firm and cordial but I would struggle to resist reminding her that it's illegal for mothers to marry their sons so this wedding is very much not about her.

Your only obligation is to treat her to the same comforts to which you'll be treating all of your other guests.

Your FI must get over his avoidance and set things straight with her, or at least establish a pattern of behaviour that lets her know he is your partner now. Hopefully this is just her having a fit over the emotions engagements can bring out in people, but if not I hope she is eventually able to have a good relationship with both her sons and her daughters-in-law.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    Honestly, if your FMIL does have Narcissistic Personality Disorder, she cannot change.  She will not be able to admit that she is creating a problem.

You might want to check out my favorite book on this subject.  Many libraries will have a copy.  Though it is written for daughters of NPD mothers, it explains a lot about the condition.

https://www.amazon.com/Will-Ever-Good-Enough-Narcissistic/dp/1439129436/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485649033&sr=1-1&keywords=will+i+ever+be+good+enough

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @justsie, you are so right about making a diagnosis of a serious mental illness. Sometimes people are just selfish and need to be given a reason to look outside of themselves, which is what setting boundaries can help accomplish.

• justsie said:
    I agree with what a lot of PPs said OP, you need to sit down and talk to your MIL.

Can I also point out that it really bothers me, as a counselor, how often NPD is thrown around on these boards, most often by you CMG? If you wouldn't look at a picture of a rash and diagnose it from that, why would you diagnose a PERSONALITY DISORDER based off one snapshot of a person without ever even talking to said person. It is disrespectful. Many of the things described could be attributed to things other than NPD, and frankly the amount of information given here does not constitute this diagnosis anyway, it lacks all of the required criteria needed. 
    QFT.

Image result for preach gif

Look CMG, I know you have a personal, painful history with your mom over this. That's valid. But every single time someone brings up a family member who's over involved and controlling about wedding planning, you bring up Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's wildly inappropriate and unfair to these people you don't know. 
    *********************************************************************************

• justsie said:
    I agree with what a lot of PPs said OP, you need to sit down and talk to your MIL.

Can I also point out that it really bothers me, as a counselor, how often NPD is thrown around on these boards, most often by you CMG? If you wouldn't look at a picture of a rash and diagnose it from that, why would you diagnose a PERSONALITY DISORDER based off one snapshot of a person without ever even talking to said person. It is disrespectful. Many of the things described could be attributed to things other than NPD, and frankly the amount of information given here does not constitute this diagnosis anyway, it lacks all of the required criteria needed. 
    While the DSM-5 is full of many personality disorders that cold be applicable, oftentimes people are just assholes.

As far as I know, the DSM-5 has yet to add Asshole as a treatable disorder.
    Such a pity.  If anyone ever finds a treatment, they'll make billions. 
  • missfrodo said:
    justsie said:

While the DSM-5 is full of many personality disorders that cold be applicable, oftentimes people are just assholes.

As far as I know, the DSM-5 has yet to add Asshole as a treatable disorder.
    Such a pity.  If anyone ever finds a treatment, they'll make billions. 
    Potentially, but one can only think how difficult it would be to have someone go though this on their own. The first step is admitting you are an asshole, that might be a tough pill to swallow!