Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

bridesmaid dress with sleeves

I am recently starting my bridesmaid gown search and am hitting a wall when it comes to my MOH - she is a plus size girl and is not comfortable showing her arms, so we've been looking for an option with sleeves (not necessarily long, but more substantial than a cap) which is proving extremely hard!

I am doing mismatched dresses and she will have her own color (plum), so the one good thing is I don't have to worry about matching a dye lot. The general style I am hoping for is long with a tulle/chiffon type fabric and a possible lace detail (just a very romantic flowy feel in general). We are heading to davids bridal with the rest of the girls and I know a sash/stole is an option but was wondering if you ladies had any ideas?

I don't want to rule out online as an option but also am super wary of falling into the trappings of a knock off site. 

Re: bridesmaid dress with sleeves

• Options
    I am recently starting my bridesmaid gown search and am hitting a wall when it comes to my MOH - she is a plus size girl and is not comfortable showing her arms, so we've been looking for an option with sleeves (not necessarily long, but more substantial than a cap) which is proving extremely hard!

I am doing mismatched dresses and she will have her own color (plum), so the one good thing is I don't have to worry about matching a dye lot. The general style I am hoping for is long with a tulle/chiffon type fabric and a possible lace detail (just a very romantic flowy feel in general). We are heading to davids bridal with the rest of the girls and I know a sash/stole is an option but was wondering if you ladies had any ideas?

I don't want to rule out online as an option but also am super wary of falling into the trappings of a knock off site. 

Would a shawl, bolero, etc. help?  May be easier to find than a dress with substantial sleeves. 
  • Options
    You are finding some good stuff there, @flantastic .
  • Options
    A skirt and blouse combo might also give you more options. But since you are going mismatched, just go all the way and tell all the bridesmaids length, color, fabric and let them shop where they want. At the end of the day, the BM dresses make no difference in how married you are.
  • Options
  • Options
    @flantastic has found some great dresses.  If you limit your MOH (and the rest of the WP) to davids bridal and other specific BM shops, you'll have a difficult time finding something for each BM while fulfilling your requirements.  Opening the search to Macy's and Nordstrom, etc. will make it easier.  Just give everyone a color, and length/fabric if you want them to really coordinate.
  • Options
    thanks guys! we are going to david's for an initial shopping trip just to see the color combo lined up and get a feel for it but since the main color will be black i am going to let everyone do their own shopping (after providing some options i like so they can get the "feel") but my MOH specifically asked me to help her. I think honestly half of my BM would just prefer I tell them a dress, so i want to be prepared if that becomes a request. 
  • Options
    thanks guys! we are going to david's for an initial shopping trip just to see the color combo lined up and get a feel for it but since the main color will be black i am going to let everyone do their own shopping (after providing some options i like so they can get the "feel") but my MOH specifically asked me to help her. I think honestly half of my BM would just prefer I tell them a dress, so i want to be prepared if that becomes a request. 

If black is a main colour, you maids might have an easier time finding a basic black dress than one in a specific colour. You could always provide wraps in different colours or just emphasize the colours in flowers.
  • Options
    ernursej said:

If black is a main colour, you maids might have an easier time finding a basic black dress than one in a specific colour. You could always provide wraps in different colours or just emphasize the colours in flowers.
    I think this is a great idea because they could wear a black dress again but may not wear a colored dress.
  • Options
    ernursej said:

I think she means the MOH is standing out in plum, but the dresses for all the BMs were already going to be black.
  • Options
    Another option is a wrap which can be tucked into more of a jacket type look.  The crew at David's showed me how to do this and it looked great for the dress involved.  David's is also nice in that they'll have options for adding sleeves through their alterations department, so make an appointment and go try on some dresses!
  • Options
    ernursej said:

I think she means the MOH is standing out in plum, but the dresses for all the BMs were already going to be black.

Hum, sorry, didn't get that. I guess if the MOH is going to stand out, black wouldn't help achieve that. However, if the MOH is the only one in a different colour, could the bride not offer other colours?
  • Options
    Just remember that David's Bridal dresses fit small.  I am plus size, and I have to buy a size or two larger there.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Just remember that David's Bridal dresses fit small.  I am plus size, and I have to buy a size or two larger there.
    QFT. FW's dress is a size 20; she normally wears a 16 or 18.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

Isn't that all bridal stores/dresses? I was trying on dresses 2-4 sizes bigger than my street size at all stores.
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    CMGragain said:

Isn't that all bridal stores/dresses? I was trying on dresses 2-4 sizes bigger than my street size at all stores.
    Pretty much, in my experience. They should have a measurement chart.
  • Options
    How about Alfred Angelo? I had better luck finding a simple dress that was more conservative there than I did at David's Bridal. And they also come in every color of the rainbow. On the website there are a few boleros shown with bridesmaids dresses that could be an option, or there are some really cool options in the "Special Occasion" section, like this one:

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/Special-Occasion-Dresses/JKT-708

• Options

What about a little jacket? Then her arms are covered but if she gets hot and wants to get more comfortable for dancing she can ditch it.

• Options
    if your maids do want you to find a style dress or a specific dress they can all wear find something to fit your largest bride first a jacket or bolero would be a great option and it can open your dress options a lot more.  what about the same dress in different colors