Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

October 2018 - too soon?

Helloooo! Long time lurker, first time poster. My husband to be and I are planning a Vegas wedding in October 2018 for maybe 50-70. 

We are currently most interested in the Nobu Penthouse at Caesars for the reception and potentially also for the ceremony depending on space. 

My questions are two fold:
1. Is it too early to start planning? Would this spring be too early to do a scouting trip considering the wedding would be 18 months away? Would fall (a year in advance) be too late? Is there an ideal time for a scouting trip?

2. We think the suites at Caesars are amazing. Is it true they don't do tours? I would be nervous to commit to a huge event if I couldn't see if the space and I want to see if there would be space for ceremony and reception. 

I would appreciate any insight! Thanks so much. 

Re: October 2018 - too soon?

• Options
    Congratulations!

It is never too early to start planning, although you are going to encounter some serious roadblocks along the way. We started planning for our October 2016 wedding in October of 2012 (literally, 4 years). We finally settled on Vegas in 2013/2014 some time, and scouted in May 2015 for a bunch of different venues. Originally, I was planning a chapel wedding and a private room buffet reception, but after touring some suites, we decided to go all-suite!

For simplicity, I would try scouting at the same time you want your wedding, so you know what to answer your guests RE: temperature, what to wear, etc. Vegas is set up so that you can't plan too far in advance: you can't book hotel rooms or blocks until 10 months out, so although you can have your plans all laid out, you can't really do anything about it until then. You can book your other vendors (hair, makeup, photographer, videographer, officiant, caterer, dress, suit, etc.) further in advance, though.

We scouted over a year in advance, mainly because I wanted my husband to go to Vegas once before he actually agreed to get married there (I'm Vegas-obsessed, so it was a great choice for me). You can scout any time you want though, but if you're thinking restauraunts, etc., it may be better to scout closer rather than further, because Vegas does change a lot.

I also had a mini-scouting trip about a month before my wedding; I was in Vegas for a trade show and got to scout locations for photography while I was there. This was so helpful to me, since photography was a really big deal. If it's not big on your list, hire an experienced photographer and let them lead!

I haven't seen any scouting posts here on these boards in a while, so I don't know if it's true or not. When we scouted at MGM, we told them we were looking for a fancy room for our wedding night to get ready in, and they let us scout; I think Mirage just let us do a tour because we asked (I e-mailed in advance to book all of our scouting events; don't plan on being able to just walk up and get it done.)