Chit Chat

Spoiler Alert: Law and Order SVU new episode from Wed. night

Did any of you see Law and Order SVU new episode from Wed.?

I was, "Whoa!  This is totally reminiscent of Trump.  At least his attitude toward women.  And two days before his inauguration."  Ballsy, NBC, ballsy ;).  But I appreciate it.

The gist was a super rich old guy (75 years) who ran a retail empire, raped a bartender who was working a party he threw.  He gave her Quaaludes to "get her in the mood" and then raped her while she was unconscious.  His character had a predilection for constantly bedding beautiful women, young enough to be his granddaughters.

His daughter had to keep shutting him up because he didn't even "get" that what he did was a violent crime.  It was this constant confusion of "what's the big deal", "these women come to party, they know what's going to happen."  (She'd had consensual sex with his grandson after her shift, so that made her a "party girl" he could rape.)

Of course, a totally fictional story.  It's a tv show.  But those very broad strokes (age, financial status, blasé attitude toward women) had Trump written all over them.  I was honestly a little surprised they had even gone as far as they did.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Spoiler Alert: Law and Order SVU new episode from Wed. night

• Apparently there is an even more Trump-like episode in the works NBC hasn't aired yet..

http://deadline.com/2017/01/donald-trump-dick-wolf-law-and-order-unstoppable-episode-spring-tca-1201888555/
  • scribe95 said:
    Sounds a bit like Bill Cosby too.
    That's exactly what I said to H last night.
  • scribe95 said:

True!  Very much like Bill Cosby for the type of crimes involved.  However, it didn't remind me of him until you said something, probably because the inaugural timing was just too coincidental for me.

Maybe I'm wrong and they meant it to be a more Cosby-esque criminal story.  I think if the perpetrator had been involved in any way with entertainment, I would have made the Cosby leap.  Or its a story telling to loosely tie-in both.

I do like that Law and Order will often address issues that are taken from headlines.  I've sometimes wondered if they have a bevy of attorneys in the background to make sure their stories don't come TOO close to the real headlines.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • scribe95 said:
    That's exactly what I said to H last night.
    I am so discombobulated.  I know today is Thurs., but thought Wed. was two nights ago.  Don't ask me how I thought both of those things were true at the same time, lol.  Of course, I watched it last night.  But it was DVR'ed, so I still didn't connect the dots.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    SVU has often done stories that are related to real life people and well known scandals.  Years ago, they did one that was obviously Michael Jackson inspired.
    I love that show, but it is opposite DH's favorite PBS Nova, so we usually watch that instead.  I catch it on the re-runs.
    Damn, I still miss Christopher Meloni!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Since we are talking SVU, how about Benson breaking up with Tucker?  That seemed so random!  So because her boyfriend is contemplating retirement and some party girl is a crummy mom that somehow means that she has to dump her loving, supportive boyfriend who makes her happy and wants to be a family with her and her son?  That was some of the most hackish writing I think I have seen on that show.  "Single mom hard" = "be single immediately"??
  • Since we are talking SVU, how about Benson breaking up with Tucker?  That seemed so random!  So because her boyfriend is contemplating retirement and some party girl is a crummy mom that somehow means that she has to dump her loving, supportive boyfriend who makes her happy and wants to be a family with her and her son?  That was some of the most hackish writing I think I have seen on that show.  "Single mom hard" = "be single immediately"??

Yes!!!  What was up with that?  That also struck me as really "off" and abrupt also.

For some reason, the show just wants to keep her perpetually single.  I had actually enjoyed that she FINALLY had a love interest.  It's weird that over years of shows, she has been totally single 99% of the time.  And the rare occasion she has been in a relationship, it is short lived.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Yes!!!  What was up with that?  That also struck me as really "off" and abrupt also.

For some reason, the show just wants to keep her perpetually single.  I had actually enjoyed that she FINALLY had a love interest.  It's weird that over years of shows, she has been totally single 99% of the time.  And the rare occasion she has been in a relationship, it is short lived.

I agree! I loved her and Tucker together.It really came out of nowhere her breaking up with him. The least they could have done is write more tension is preceding episodes!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2017
    Remember Olivia's background?  She grew up with an alcoholic mother, and no one whom she could trust, except Elliott - who left, without giving her closure. 
    It makes more sense that Olivia cannot trust a man fully, or make compromises in her life for a relationship than it makes for Sheldon and Amy to be a successful couple.  Now THAT is weird writing.
    Olivia has always been a care giver - to her mother, to Elliott (who was safely married), and now to her son.  She has never accepted love and support well from anyone.  Doesn't like taking risks in relationships, does she?
    Could the REAL reason be that Robert John Burke, the actor who plays Tucker, wants more money, or wants out?  That is why poor Lady Mary was widowed so early in Downton Abbey!  (Sob!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

I actually said the same thing to H- that it was just off, and why was it necessary to break up with him?  I also may have muttered "she's an idiot" ;)
  • The 400th episode is coming up next week.  400th!!!!  That is amazing.

I'm just bummed they cancelled the original Law and Order.  It's the kind of show that could always have new and great episodes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker