Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Backyard Wedding Advice

Hey All,
So after being engaged since Nov. 2008 and planning a more elaborate wedding in Wellfleet we have made the (sort of hard) decision to scale back our wedding substantially. We just could not justify (nor afford) the amount of money everything was beginning to cost - it adds up so quick! So we've moved the wedding to my parents' backyard. A family backyard bbq is our "theme" if you can call it that. We are excited but..

I'd LOVE some help from all past backyard brides -- what are things that I CANNOT forget to do/get/arrange? What do I need not worry about? What did you wish you had? What were you so happy you had? What are some warnings for backyard bashes?

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

Re: Backyard Wedding Advice

• Options
    edited December 2011
    OK, this may sound weird but, bathrooms. I am getting married in my parents backyard and we are renting really nice porta potty's, Don't laugh, they are super nice with real toilets and sinks. We are having 200 guest and with only two bathrooms in the house there is no way it would work. I would say think about that. Good luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    also bug spray ;)
    Irish *wife* on Nantucket, lovin' the island life with the love of my life! image
  • Options
    woodiewoodie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey!  Congrats on the backyard theme!  I had my reception in the back yard too.  Things I wish I had done:
    - Had a day of coordinator.  My husband cooked all the food for the reception. It was warming in 4 ovens during the ceremony and I was worried about the food getting over done.

- Had sides on the tent.  We had a big old thunderstorm come thru right before the reception. Some of the tables got wet.

Things I am glad about:

-Being able to accommodate all the family and the little kids. We had a swingset in the back yard and the kids were having a great time during the reception.

- The wonderful food.  It was all homemade and delicious. 

- Not having to leave.  After the reception, the guys built a big fire in the firepit and everyone sat around and relaxed.  I heard rumors that some folks stayed all night and emptied the keg.  8) 

Have a wonderful wedding!
  • Options
    luvoo41488luvoo41488 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Think about dishes- if your parents don't have a dishwasher, or even if they do and you're having a huge number of guests, nice disposables may be better logistically, and it won't dress down your event since it's more laid back anyways.

Make sure you have some sort of rain plan.

Make sure you get someone, friend or professional, to help clean up, break apart and return the yard to a semi normal state, so it doesnt fall entirely on your parents and/or you guys. Same with setting up... the last thing you want to have to do on your wedding day is set up a ton of chairs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My two cents:

Be prepared to deal with family and guests that just don't get it. Be intentional about creating a firm vision in your head (what people should wear, what they should expect, etc) and articulate it clearly to people. Some folks just don't get the concept of a casual wedding and you will have to be capable of making sure they have fair warning. And don't let criticism of this bother you; your wedding will be beautiful and fun and you're not doing anything wrong, ok?

Bathrooms. Nuff said.

Shade and water if its hot, wraps and heat lamps if its cool. Pool areas must be fenced in if children will be present, and remember to batten down things that might blow away in wind (i.e., maybe pass on menu cards)

Don't be afraid to invest some $ in professionals. Hire a rental company that provides some on-site assistance with set up and clean up. Hire a caterer---even just a BBQ caterer---to "run the show", as they often do. A casual catering company may not cost a ton, but having a team of people to coordinate the day while you enjoy being the bride is really vital.
  • Options
    jescahilljescahill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You guys are awesome, thank you! This really helps calm me down a bit and help me think a little more about some stuff. I am really excited for this wedding and with these tips I'll bet it's going to be just perfect. THANK YOU!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards