Military Brides

Re: Opinions on this dress

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's really pretty.  Very formal too though, and I'm not sure what the style of your venue is.  But it is really pretty.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • VraechelVraechel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a Catholic wedding, in September. I'm just a little freaked out because I tried it on, basically by myself and then totally fell in love with it. I went back and tried it on a second time. I had them take pictures but the pictures didn't look like it did the first time I tried it on. So I pulled it up online and love it. Of course it's on a model. Then I looked at it on the maggie brides section and I liked it on the girls, I emailed it to two of the bridesmaids, one said I could do better and the second said it looked like I was being attacked by a comforter... OUCH. of course the one in the store that I took a picture of was a size 10. I'm a 2....

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I honestly think that if you're so back and forth with it, it's not the one.

I also don't like corsets on thinner brides, but that's personal taste from a year and a half as a bridal consultant. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's really pretty, I like it. You tried on a size 10? Didn't they put clips or anything on the dress you tried on? This way you can see how it would really fit you. It's hard to tell if this dress looks good on you since you didn't post a picture of yourself in it. It's a very pretty dress, and if you really have your heart set on it, then go for it. It will be you wearing it, not your friends. But I suggest trying it on again either at your size or have it clipped to you. Btw, some wedding dress sizes run very small. I am usually a size 2, but I had to get a size 6 wedding dress. Good Luck! 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They did not clip it. Which was Annoying. They just cinched up the laces in the back as tight as they would go. Then she pinched it in the back. It looked really beautiful. I was crazy about it. I thought everyone would like it but then when my bridesmaids didn't love it I got worried. I think it will be much better once it was fitted. In the pictures online the skirt is poofed kind of out, in person it goes more straight down. I think it looks better in person.

• Victoria2013Victoria2013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dress is gorgeous!!  Go with your gut.
    edited December 2011
    If you love the dress and loved yourself in it, then don't even worry about it.  I'm sure you were able to get a better feel for it when you saw it pulled tight to you.  Can you picture yourself getting married in the dress?  If so, then you're good.  I know I'm not the typical bride, but the dress really wasn't that important to me.  What was most important about it was that I liked it, yes, but that it was light, comfortable, and I could sit in it.  I never regretted my dress choice for a second.  But the difference too is that once I ordered it I never again questioned my decision, and never shopped for any other dresses.  If you're happy with the dress you bought, then stop looking and stop questioning yourself.  You can only drive yourself crazy doing that!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'll tell you my dress experience and maybe it will help. I went shopping with my FMIL and I found a dress that I was IN LOVE WITH!!! My parents came out and talked me into this completely different dress and we bought it. I had it home and stared at it for 3 months and hated it more and more every day. Finally about a month before the wedding I called the store I brought it from and talked to the girl that helpeed me and told her that I just hated it and that it didn't fit very well. I mad an appointment tried on the dress that we had bought and they told me the 28 ways they could fix it to make it fit me better. I started crying and my assistant said, "Just take it off, you don't love that dress enough to fix it, so lets find you a dress that you do love." I tried on another 22 dresses and finally got the first one that I was in love with.
    The dress is not just about how it looks, but how you feel in your dress. If on your wedding day, you don't feel like yourself, and your uncomfortable, it will show. How soon will your dress get here? If that the first dress you tried on? My best advice is, to try it on again once its here. Take people who make you feel good about yourself, but that are honest. My mom, tends to only see the flaws and has never done much for my self confidence, whereas my FMIL always finds the nicest things to say, even when i'm in sweats and just rolled out of bed! (I have an hourglass shape, and my mom is tall and very thin so she always tells me I'm on the "hefty side", how sweet right?) Alot of times the girls are the dress shop read off of you. They can tell when you're not feelin a dress, and they can tell when you're falling in love with one. It sounds like your bridesmaids are very opinionated, which is also not the best either. Think long and hard about who you want to be there, try it on again, and I'm sure that if you decide against the dress that the store will work with you. Good Luck!! Oh! and the dress is very pretty!! My dress is Maggie too..

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You def get that dress. It is very gorgeous! Screw anyone hating. I am sure you will look gorgeous. It is beautiful.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the encouragement. My bridesmaids both own wedding dresses but are not engaged if that tells you anything :) I love them to death, but they kind of view this as their wedding. Neither one of them saw me in this dress. I went shopping with 4 girls a couple of days before I found my dress, they totally talked me into this other dress, and as soon as I got home I knew I hated it. They kept saying lace, lace its so classic. I have liked lace but these dresses made me feel like I was wearing one of my grandmothers knitting projects. When I found the Maggie dress, it was just me and one of my friends who's not even a bridesmaid. We happened to be shopping near a bridal shop. I did buy the dress today. I really love it, I feel like a bride in it. I don't know if somewhere out there there is possibly on some corner of the world a dress that I'd like more, but I feel like this dress is how I want to look on my wedding day. Now I have 6 months to second guess myself.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_opinions-this-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:73c48333-349b-49df-ac1e-19dc9bfd4ea3Post:da6faeda-c0cc-4cb0-9005-a6f792c88312">Re: Opinions on this dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the encouragement. My bridesmaids both own wedding dresses but are not engaged if that tells you anything :) I love them to death, but they kind of view this as their wedding.
    Posted by Vraechel[/QUOTE]

Well, there's your answer right there.  They're all kinds of crazy.

You'll never find a dress that everyone will like.  It doesn't matter how many you try on, how much money you spend - people simply have different tastes.

As previous posters mentioned, what matters is how you feel in the dress.  I don't believe in "The One Dress".  It's a piece of fabric.  But what I believe is that a bride should feel beautiful in the dress she wears for her wedding. She should be able to look back at photos and think how pretty she looked that day.  If this dress will do that, then buy it!

The only other thing that matters is how your FI will feel about the dress.  Some guys are very particular for certain styles, so if your guy is the kind to care about that stuff, then perhaps you should show him some photos of random gowns that have similar attributes to the one you're wearing, and see if he has any comments, like "I hate/love the way the lace/pick-ups/beading/neckline looks."

Anniversary

• edited December 2011

I think its beautiful! :)

edited December 2011

Do yourself a favor then and don't step into another bridal shop (except if you go with your BMs) and don't look at any other bridal gowns.  If you feel beautiful in your gown and feel like a bride, there is nothing more you can ask for.  There were a few people who told me my dress was too pain because it had no lace, and the only beading was on the belt.  But the people who really know me knew that it was the perfect dress for me, and I never second guessed me decision at all.  I also never looked at another dress, and definitely never tried on any more. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not as worried about it now that I've paid for it. I really think it's beautiful. So that's the important thing. I'm probably freaking out a little bit because we had to change our wedding date AGAIN. Hopefully for the last time. I'm hoping we have good weather in September in MN now. grrr. Maybe I should have gotten a dress with a detachable snowsuit incase we have to push it further back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards