Wedding Woes
Options

MIL threatening not to attend if horrible brother isn't invited

So honestly, I really need to vent and see what you ladies think we should do/how I can make peace with this.

My 31-year-old fiance has four uncles on his mom's side. They all ran the family business started by his grandpa up until last year—when the youngest brother and president of the company (we'll call him X) finally, after years of terrible business practices, ran it into the ground and sold it.

This involves us because my fiance was working there at the time. His uncle X constantly demeaned him, withholding simple information so my fiance would look stupid in front of customers, and generally had a nasty, condescending attitude toward him. On top of all this, my fiance was renting a space for his business in their factory. Once his mom confided the business was going to sell, my fiance asked uncle X to let him know how much time he'd have to move his business out. Uncle X never responded, going behind my fiance's back to almost get him kicked out with nowhere to go (we found a place to rent last-minute).

Okay. This is all background. Ultimately, it boils down to the condescension, the conniving attitude, and now, the financial ruin of his other brothers, sister and 92-year-old mother. He's a terrible, terrible person for so many reasons. End of story.

Now that we're actively planning our wedding, we had to address the fact that we aren't inviting uncle X. His mom became quietly enraged (scary, actually) and immediately said she "wouldn't be able to come then," though she later conceded she'd have to think about it.

I'm so livid and hurt (mostly for my fiance) this his mother could say this to his face. That she's choosing her awful brother over her own son, who did nothing to deserve the treatment he got (and she knows it). Honestly, it's verging on creepy... almost like Stockholm syndrome. I'm afraid to know the reasons why she's so unfailing devoted to her brother, who treats her like a child and has her coming home from work crying. But that's another facet to this story.

Ultimately, we're standing firm on our decision, but I have so much anxiety, and not just for my wedding. If she does decline to come, my fiance says he's permanently ending his relationship with her (and who could blame him?). His dad and sisters (as well as my family) totally support our decision, and won't forgive her if she sides with her brother over her son. As you can see, the repercussions of this debacle will be much longer lived than just our wedding day.

I'm sorry this is just a big rant. I know what we HAVE to do, but I don't know how to process the possibility of losing his mom forever.

Re: MIL threatening not to attend if horrible brother isn't invited

• Options
    I'm very sorry your FMIL is trying to place this burden on you and your FI. But you don't need to assume it.

If your FMIL is not paying for your wedding at all, she gets no say in the guest list.

It's very sad if she chooses not to attend over this, but your FI can point out the consequences to her and then follow through as necessary. Hopefully, she'll change her mind and attitude...but if not, you might be better off altogether if she isn't there than if she comes and pouts, scowls or otherwise uses the occasion to indicate how displeased she is that X isn't there.
  • Options
    I would hold firm and not invite the Uncle.  Chances are that Mom will reconsider and come to the wedding.  If not, you have an answer about where her loyalties lie.  Your FI might soften on his position that it would end his relationship with her forever (so maybe just encourage him not to make that decision yet).

• Options
    Wow, thank you for all replies, everyone!

Just to address a few things...

1. I totally agree they, as a family, should seek mediation or counseling. However, they're a very non-touchy-feely type of family, and I'm guessing this confrontation was about as emotional as it's ever gotten between my fiance and his mom.

2. I know the creepy factor/Stockholm syndrome comment seems extreme, but without laying out every detail for you to peruse, it's truly, honestly disturbing how devoted my FMIL is to her brother—over her son, husband and daughters.

3. To address kimmiinthemitten: I would concede to your assessment of placing a higher price on our feelings over hers IF my fiance's uncle wasn't such a toxic, condescending, conniving (in extreme cases, criminally), hurtful person. He has no regard for the feeling or opinions of others; has made business decisions that have financially ruined his family while keeping himself in the clear; has made incredibly important business decisions without consulting his family; and has had the gall to recuse himself from wrongdoing because "he is a Christian." I'm sorry, but the audacity of this man is beyond reproach and I feel our reaction to and treatment of him is fully justified. None of this has been brought to the forefront in our discussions with my fiance's mom, however. We've been taking the "we" approach vs. the "them" approach (i.e., "We want to determine who we celebrate our wedding with." vs. "He's not invited because he's a God-awful human being.").

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm just so overwhelmed with anxiety, anger and sadness over this... perhaps even more so than my fiance. He's used to being his mom's last priority over his sisters and extended family. Honest to God, I can't tell you why this is. He's quiet, kind and hardworking... always willing to help when needed. He brings no drama (aside from this) to the family. Perhaps this is why interactions with him aren't prioritized; he's set aside because he's an easy person to get along with and doesn't monopolize attention.

I guess I just mostly need reaffirmation that we're doing the right thing in standing by our principles. Thank you all. :)
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2017
    Coming from reasonably large family businesses on DH's side and my side, you're not dealing with anything new but you are dealing with something that is different from 99% of people's experience.  Work/family relationships, no, no one's going to counseling, except you and FI for marriage prep!  Yes, this is always a great recommendation for all couples because the only two you can really direct are yourselves (not using the word control here because the only person you control is yourself) and these issues/dynamics are going to find a way into your marriage and it's best to work on them on the front end.  That said, you need to realize there's a different dynamic than the rest of the world happening.  There's the business relationship where uncle is/was a jerkface AH, then there's the family relationship where things get murky.  Ultimately, you have to make your decision and stick with it knowing there will be family relationship fall-out that only the two of you can decide whether it's worth those family dynamic issues.  Take the business relationship out of the decision, this is a family relationship decision.  

For us, it wasn't worth creating those rifts, it just wasn't (my jerkface AH relative specifically listed my family as "Predeceased" in his Will - js).  Looking back, I'm glad I realized "they may be invited, but that doesn't mean I have to spend the entire day exclusively entertaining this one person with 100% of my/our time.".  OTOH, not inviting him as "just another guest", would have really created a dynamic that I was the jerkface AH instead of him.  Ultimately OP you need to decide for yourselves knowing the specific dynamics involved whether or not to say "gosh we'll miss you!" and get a larger slice of cake for the budget $$ saved, or ???  Ultimately you already know what the best answer is, you two just need to trust your instincts and be comfortable in your decision and yours alone.  

ETA: the relative in question also sent a letter a week before our wedding threatening to sue for the family business...