Wedding Woes

Well, damn...

This Wedding Rehearsal Dinner Was Worse Than Yours

Oh, wow, your mom tried to upstage you? Your aunt had too many cocktails and hit on a waiter? Everyone got food poisoning? Damn, sorry, this story still takes the Worst Rehearsal Dinner cake, then smashes that cake on the ground.

According to the New York Post, former lovers Bradley Moss and Amy Bzura are at each others throats with multiple lawsuits after hosting their respective families at the Blue Water Grill on Oct. 28, 2016 for a horrendous rehearsal dinner. They were set to get married the following day at the Pierre Hotel, in a ceremony that cost an estimate $1,100 per head, and $325,000 all together. Things started off fine, but some unspecified lingering resentment between Moss’s parents and Bzura’s brother suddenly erupted:

On Oct. 28, 2016, the night before Bradley Moss and longtime girlfriend Amy Bzura were to tie the knot, Bradley’s parents, Robert and Wendy Moss, hosted the meal at Blue Water Grill in Union Square.

But the parents took offense as the bride’s brother, Adam Bzura, was about to make a “heartfelt toast” and video tribute, says the Manhattan federal court suit filed by Amy’s dad, Bruce.

Robert Moss, 65, “inexplicably and angrily declared that Adam was not allowed to speak at the dinner,” and then growled, “Do you know what I can do to you?,” the suit claims.

He threatened to kick Adam out, and “events began to escalate,” it says.

Robert Moss then punched Adam Bzura in the face, according to lawsuits, and his wife, Wendy Moss, started arguing with her son, Michael. Then she started calling other guests and declaring that the wedding was off. The groom’s father threatened to cut his son out of the family business, Long Island Pipe Supply, and cut him out of the will if he went through with the marriage.

The NYP reports that in a lawsuit filed after the disastrous dinner, Bzura claims that the Mosses then changed the locks on the apartment she shared with her former fiancé, preventing her from getting her belongings. Bzura filed a court order, but the night before it was heard, the Mosses allowed her back in to collect her stuff—accompanied by an off-duty police officer, which she says was purely to humiliate her.

Amy Bzura is also currently being sued for the $125,000 engagement ring she received from Bradley Moss. Her dad, Bruce Bzura, is suing Robert Moss for the $89,919 he allegedly promised to pay for his 79 wedding guests, guests that never got to come to a wedding. That’s too bad. Sounds like every anniversary party with these two would’ve been lit.

http://jezebel.com/this-wedding-rehearsal-dinner-was-worse-than-yours-1792299823

Re: Well, damn...

• Sounds like all these people need to find better ways to spend their money and occupy their time.

Seems like there was a lot of animosity before the rehearsal dinner.  I wonder what that the real issues were.  Yikers.

Totally! I wonder why the FOG was so adamantly opposed to the bride's brother giving a toast? 
  • Jebus! What a train wreck :\
  • Ahhh, true love.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• 79 wedding guests

$329,000 for 79 people????

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    @NOLABridesmaid - I think it was $89k for the 79 guests the bride's father agreed to pay for.  The first part of the article says $1,100 per head and a total of $325k.  

Edit - I mean, come on.  Let's be reasonable here.

• $1,100 per head - so each guest gets dinner, drinks, cake, and 2.5 hours of an attorney's time to consult them on the lawsuit they will soon be a part of. 
    If I were invited to that wedding, I would want a cut of that settlement!
  • 0.o  Well, that's lovely. 
  • I'm still trying to fathom $1100/per head.  How does one get to that number?  The finest caviar on toast points?  Dom Perignon champagne fountain? 

For that, I'm expecting the lobster and Alaskan King crab soon-to-be meals, to do a choreographed dance on each table.  Then throw themselves into the boiling water for the grand finale.

We're assuming they were getting married at Pierre Hotel in NYC.  Maybe they were planning on flying all of the guests to the Hotel Pierre in Paris??  :D  if not, I have no idea how you'd get to $1100 pp!
  • So what's the consensus on who keeps the ring in this situation? If he calls it off does she have a right to keep the ring; or if she gave him the ultimatum and he chose his family does she have to return the ring?
  • To add to Heffa's thoughts.  I learned about this in religion class as a senior in high school!  The one extra caveat that I learned in addition to the conditional gift was if the ring was given on a holiday or birthday, it could then be considered a gift, regardless of whether the wedding took place.  So the priest warned the guys in our class to NOT propose on a holiday or birthday!

I think the gifted ring on a holiday or birthday may only apply to certain states though.

• I had a friend in college who was engaged - the ring was huge! The guy broke off the engagement after deposits and expenses were paid. My friend (or maybe her father) took the guy to court and won the ring because it was to compensate for the expenses. Granted this was 30+ years ago so maybe things have changed.
  • So what's the consensus on who keeps the ring in this situation? If he calls it off does she have a right to keep the ring; or if she gave him the ultimatum and he chose his family does she have to return the ring?

I have obtained vast legal knowledge from my years of watching Judge Judy, lol.  In her courtroom, it doesn't matter why the break-up happened, the ring (or cash if the woman doesn't have the ring anymore) is always returned.  Because an engagement ring is a conditional gift.  The condition being marriage.  So, if a marriage doesn't take place, the ring must be returned.
    I have heard that the one big exception is that if the ring is given on a gift-giving holiday/event.  I've read articles about pre-nups and what not where lawyers pretty much agree that giving a ring as a Christmas, Valentines Day, or birthday gift entitles the giftee to keep it, even if there is a break-up.