Options

Dry shampoo

Talk to me like I'm 5. 

How do you use it?

When do you use it?

What brand do you use?

Re: Dry shampoo

• Options
    I don't use it often, but I've the easiest way to use it is to sprinkle a bit on my brush and then run the brush through my hair.  I've only ever used samples I've received, so I don't have a brand rec.  

But honestly, it's an emergency only thing to me because I really don't like how my hair feels after a couple hours with it in. 
  • Options
    @6fsn, were we watching the same commercials last night, lol?  It has made me start to wonder about dry shampoo, on occasion, also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My hair really needs to be washed daily because it's fine and oily, so I use dry shampoo on the second day to try and extend my hair's life. Eeeevery once in awhile I can use it day three. But that's usually if I'm going somewhere like the gym and I don't want to be totally gross. 

My favorite brands are Living Proof (Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo), and Elizabeth and James (Nirvana White Dry Shampoo). Those have seemed to work the best for my type of hair. I spray them on in strips about 8 inches away from my head, wait about 30 seconds, and then I brush it in. 

• Options
    I use KMS

What I do is spray roots {bangs, and underneath a couple layers of hair - not direct roots} about same distance as you would hairspray

Wait a bit {idk timing - typically I get dressed} then rub my *CLEAN* fingers through and brush hair.

If your hair is getting greasy quick, before you go to bed spray your brush. I use baby powder on my brush. Absorbs oil/grease and then you tap out the excess in the morning.
  • Options
    I use the Dove dry shampoo, works great and budget friendly. 
    I'm blonde, so it's pretty easy for me to blend dry shampoo into my hair without it being really noticeable. If you're brunette you may want something with a brownish tint so you don't get white roots lol.

I usually just give it a spray up top, and then just lift hair and spray my roots in layers too. And then I usually bend over and give my head a good spray all over while kind of shaking my hair. 

My hair doesn't usually get too greasy, but I usually use it if I'm going to straighten/curl it a second day. It's also nice to use if you're looking for a little texture for teasing.

I am NOT a hairstylist and I'm very cheap, so this is what works for me lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love Living Proof. I spray my roots, rub it in with my fingers while I blow dry it (for added volume). Then I run my brush through my hair.
  • Options

Honestly, I only wash my hair every 2-3 days. It tends to get really dry on the ends and split ends show up faster if I wash it every day. So I use dry shampoo on the days I don't wash.

I have tried so many brands that I can't even count them. I think my favorite is Bed Head Rockaholic Dirty Secret. Some dry shampoos show up white, especially on darker hair, but that one doesn't.

Spray it on your roots and on some layers underneath, let it sit for a minute or so, and then rub your hands in your roots like you're shampooing. Brush your hair, and voila! It really is a life saver.

• Options
    I love Living Proof. I spray my roots, rub it in with my fingers while I blow dry it (for added volume). Then I run my brush through my hair.
    Ditto this. Batiste has a nice dry shampoo for brunettes too but the blow drier trick usually helps my hair look less gray since I'm a dark brunette 
  • Options
    I've heard people talk about it and I overheard a hairdresser say she's a 7 day a week gym goer and just uses dry shampoo between.  Sweaty work outs are why I was every day but I'd like to cut that down. 

I have dark hair but never brush when dry. 
  • Options
    Ditto this. Batiste has a nice dry shampoo for brunettes too but the blow drier trick usually helps my hair look less gray since I'm a dark brunette 
    I'm a dirty blonde (wink wink lol) and it is so hard to find dry shampoo that doesn't make me look grey, or dandruffy, or white, or yellow (that's what I found with Batiste's blonde dry shampoo - my roots looked like a chalky highlighter). But I like the way Batiste smells. 
  • Options
    I'm a dirty blonde (wink wink lol) and it is so hard to find dry shampoo that doesn't make me look grey, or dandruffy, or white, or yellow (that's what I found with Batiste's blonde dry shampoo - my roots looked like a chalky highlighter). But I like the way Batiste smells. 
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost made a joke about that too :D

• Options
    Batistes blond actually helps blend my roots. Love living proof though!

• Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2017
    UO: I tried this at my stylist's recommendation, and it smelled nice, but it's not for me.  Like some others, I'm dark honey blonde, and my fair is fine.  With this, it just looked grayish and dull.  Plus, I am a big believer in washing my hair.

http://www.aveda.com/product/5311/37298/hair-care/shampoo/shampure-dry-shampoo

I am not even going to say anything about the sheet washing thread. :)
  • Options
    The Dry Bar has a brunette dry shampoo, but I *hated* the way it smelled and I eventually threw it away.  My friend loves her blond version though.  

• Options
    @levioosa that's the kind I have currently. It smells HORRIBLE. It was too expensive to just toss it, but I can't wait til it's empty so I can go back to my old kind.

• Options
    @levioosa that's the kind I have currently. It smells HORRIBLE. It was too expensive to just toss it, but I can't wait til it's empty so I can go back to my old kind.
    lol.  I couldn't force myself to finish it, even though it was expensive.  Every time I used it I showered like an hour later because that was less annoying than the smell.  

• Options
    edited February 2017
      levioosa said:
    lol.  I couldn't force myself to finish it, even though it was expensive.  Every time I used it I showered like an hour later because that was less annoying than the smell.  

I may not be able to force myself either. It's nasty. It's all I can smell today and I didn't even use that much of it :s

Edited for words

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Heffalump said:
    UO: I tried this at my stylist's recommendation, and it smelled nice, but it's not for me.  Like some others, I'm dark honey blonde, and my fair is fine.  With this, it just looked grayish and dull.  Plus, I am a big believer in washing my hair.

You think we're all dirty hoars...I can feel your judgement washing over me.  :D 

I am judging you right now.

• Options
    For smell issues-I have a very sensitive nose- I went with Lush No Drought dry shampoo. Light citrus scent that is not overpowering at all. Still working out how to use it, current method is shake it into my hand, pat it into my hair mainly along the neckline, brush and then blowdry a bit. I use it after working out when I want to not smell but not wash my hair. Lush will give you a sample so you can try before you buy!
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Heffalump said:

You think we're all dirty hoars...I can feel your judgement washing over me.  :D 
    she figures something has to wash over us ;):D

• Options
    I love dry shampoo.

It took me a while to use it well though.  Liek levioosa, I hve the thin hair that needs a daily wash, and the dry shampoo buys me an extra day--and, even on clean hair days, it can give me some body.
    (and the brand that worked best for me was a suave that no longer exists, the suave new one is crap.  I do the brunette though, because, dark hair)

If I know I'm going to need dry shampoo, use it early.  Like, if I'm going o bed tonight and know I won't have time to shower in the morning and will want to use dry shampoo, ideally, use the dry shampoo before bed.  that way it work it's way through the hair and soaks up oil all night.  If I'm getting ready to go out, I spray it in, and then just ignore it while I go get ready.
    THEN I use my hands to work it through to make sure it's spread out, and then I use a brush.

ANd it makes me have body @ the roots.

• Options
    I'm usually at the gym nearly every day so in that case, I need a real shower after - dry shampoo wouldn't cut it. But if I'm not at the gym in between showers, I sometimes do use it on the second day after a shower. I feel like it makes my hair LOOK clean but FEEL dirty a few hours in. Maybe I'm not using the right brands, but they all seem to have a dirty feel to them after a few hours (although my hair still looks clean, and it's thin so can look oily and gross fast). It's nice when I want to "sleep in" for work and get ready in 15 minutes. :)

I used a Garnier dry shampoo years ago and loved it, but have not been able to find it since. I've used Not Your Mother's, but would not recommend it. I felt like it left heavy residue and smelled awful. I've used Living Proof and liked it; right now, using the Rockaholic someone mentioned above, which I like so far. I miss the Garnier! It was lighter with less residue than any other kind I've used and smelled great.
  • Options

I used a Garnier dry shampoo years ago and loved it, but have not been able to find it since. I've used Not Your Mother's, but would not recommend it. I felt like it left heavy residue and smelled awful. I've used Living Proof and liked it; right now, using the Rockaholic someone mentioned above, which I like so far. I miss the Garnier! It was lighter with less residue than any other kind I've used and smelled great.
    THis is the original suave that no longer exists.  Once upon a time, Buffy walked in the bathroom after I used it and said "mmm, what is that GLORIOUS smell".  Which is high praise indeed :)

The Aussie brand is AWFUL, and I"m not keen on the 'not your mothers'.  the bastiste is OK, and is the ony one easy to buy that comes in brown, so, generally, thats what I end up with--amazon has coupons for it and subscribe-and-saves.
  • Options
    Living Proof. I swear that I have tried every single type out there. It took me a while to figure out the best way to use it. I recommend just a little, brush in, leave for 30 minutes, add a bit more, brush in, leave for 30 minutes until you figure out how it works for you. I played with Living Proof 3-4 times when I knew I wouldn't go out and see anyone to figure out how it worked best.
  • Options
    I use Dove dry shampoo. It comes in a spray can like hairspray.

You do have to play around with it a bit- IME the grey was because I sprayed too much in one spot. I have dark brown hair, but I'm still able to use the regular spray without looking grey. I find if I hold the can away like hair spray and brush it through (either fingers or hair brush), it's fine. I find it goes on "wet" so don't spray too much right away. Let it dry then add more if you need it. But you can also get coloured sprays.

I wash my hair about every 2-3 days. When I get sweaty, I want to WASH my hair regardless, but say if I wash my hair Tues night, and I know I'm going to run Friday night, I won't wash it Thursday night (as per my usual). Friday morning when I get up, my hair will be oily, so I'll use the spray then.

I like the smell and I find the spray adds volume, so sometimes I will use it in clean dry hair to add volume if I'm trying to do a "do". My hair also has a sweet spot where it gets "just" enough oil that my hair curls beautifully, but one more day and it's a mess, so I use the spray to help with that if I'm trying to go for a curly look.
  • Options
    I use Batiste. It smells like fruit loops. 
    On days you feel a little greasy or don't want to wash your hair, shake it (and I mean SHAKE IT) and spray it all over your roots. Massage your head, brush it out. If you're brunette, my mom would recommend getting their brunette formula. Sometimes I have to use a really fine toothed comb to get it out. 
    I also like not your mother's, and I've heard good things about Dove.