Destination Weddings Discussions

Welcome bags

This time I'm a bridesmaid, helping a dear friend. 

How do welcome bags work for a destination wedding? The wedding is in Mexico and some people will be arriving before the couple. Does she bring the bags with her and pass them out when she arrives, or does she send them in advance?

TIA! 

Re: Welcome bags

• I think most people have them already at the hotels waiting for the guests and the hotel staff gives them to them when they check in.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Since people will be arriving before the B&G get there, I think they only have a few options:

1) Don't bother with welcome bags. They aren't required and no one expects them. Especially at a DW. "But they need to know the agenda, have a map, know the plans..." That's what the wedding website is for.

2) Ask the hotel to put together welcome bags. Send them whatever info sheet and ask if they'll print it. Then ask them to include resort credit and/or some water/snacks/a trinket from their gift shop.

3) Ask the hotel if they can ship welcome bag stuff to them for distribution. This seems like a huge PITA, but it may be an option.

4) Wait til they get there (with welcome bags) and then ask the hotel staff to deliver the night before wedding festivities get started.
    *********************************************************************************

• You can make arrangements with your planner or vendor providing bags to have them at the hotel so they will be given to guests are they check in. It means using a local supplier to do the bags.