Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Appetizers for my Taco Truck Wedding?

Alright yall, I need some ideas. I'm having an August wedding with around 100 people, very casual. We are having a taco truck cater, and ice cream instead of cake. (BTW, if anyone in the Puget Sound area is looking for a cake alternative, having Sub Zero freeze ice cream with nitrus for your guests is pretty stinking awesome and you should check it out.) I want to have some kind of snack bar/app table for pre-tacos and for snacking on throughout the night. My first thought was a salsa table, but I'm thinking it might be too messy and that salsa and guac wouldn't hold up well throughout the evening. I love the idea of a trail mix bar, especially since we are very outdoorsy and the wedding venue is surrounded by mountains, but that seems out of place with tacos and ice cream. Thoughts/ideas anyone?

Re: Appetizers for my Taco Truck Wedding?

• What exactly is being served from the taco truck?

While I love salsa and guac, it sounds too similar to the tacos to me- I am assuming salsa and guac may be available to put on the tacos (at least I do this), and if you're using tortilla chips for the apps/bar, that's basically a taco in pieces.

I'd go with something different. Could be as simple as fruit and veggie tray, or cheese and crackers tray. Or you could do some finger foods/ hot h'ors d'oeuvres. Pinwheel sandwiches. Swedish meatballs.
  • My response totally depends on what you're serving for dinner. Without knowing, I'm assuming the wedding is outside in August, so it'll probably be hot. And I'm guessing dinner options are going to be warm (tacos, burritos, beans, rice...).

I would serve cold apps, like chips and mild salsa/guac, gazpacho shooters, veggies with chipotle ranch and a tropical fruit tray. And I would get a frozen margarita machine to keep people cool.
    Your post is making me hungry again. 
  • My response totally depends on what you're serving for dinner. Without knowing, I'm assuming the wedding is outside in August, so it'll probably be hot. And I'm guessing dinner options are going to be warm (tacos, burritos, beans, rice...).

I would serve cold apps, like chips and mild salsa/guac, gazpacho shooters, veggies with chipotle ranch and a tropical fruit tray. And I would get a frozen margarita machine to keep people cool.
    Yes to the bolded. And also now I'm hungry too.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    I often order the huge hors d'oeuvres platter as a meal when I go to a Mexican restaurants.  They have wonderful items, and I get to try everything.  DH used to eat half of it, too, since my appetite isn;t what it used to be.  I would suggest going to a reasonable restaurant and trying this.  You may get some ideas, and perhaps your caterer can oblige.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Yes to the bolded. And also now I'm hungry too.
    So am I.