Wedding Woes
Options

Thursday

As expected, storms blew through last night.  The wind kicked up really suddenly, it sounded like a hurricane.  We had to scramble to close all the windows.   Cooler today, but beautiful.

I keep waiting for work to get sane again.  I stepped in to help engineering yesterday and called some guy, and he was so rude to me.  SO RUDE.  Now I know why I usually avoid the public like the plague--I don't know how you do it, mrsconn.  At one point, he was like "Who's responsible for pricing?" and I told him I was, and he was like "There must be someone else."  What, because you don't like my answers?  Because I'm a "girl?"  I really wanted to bust out Clueless:

Image result for clueless Girlie as far as youre concerned I am the messiah of the DMV

Heffa, the Messiah of Distributor Pricing.  Also, if he had not been a jackhole, I might have worked with him.  But alas, he was, so I just reiterated what engineering told him.  Gotta stick up for the engineers.   

It's March and I've barely looked at summer camps.  Swim registration starts in a few weeks.  My brother is getting married in July and I have no plane tickets, nowhere to stay, and nothing to wear.  All this work is really cramping my style.  ::strops::

Re: Thursday

• Options
    I decided I was going to go in a little later today and try to get some sleep this morning. Well, at the crack of dawn I heard all this scrambling around on the porch, followed by a lot of angry barking and snarling. Turns out a couple of birds got stuck on the porch and the dogs were fighting over what was left of their carcasses.

I decided to just get up and go to work.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Well that's a happy morning @AtomicBlonde

SSDD; still no word on the job, my mouth still hurts, but I have work to do. I'm doing it from my couch with the dog to keep me company. 

Cant wait for Prudie Day. Is it sad I get pretty excited for Prudie Day?

ETA This is how I'm attempting to work today. 

• Options
    driddrid member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Maybe a shake is worth a shot at this point @mrsconn23, lol couldn't hurt and it would be good for a laugh at least!

@AtomicBlonde that is so gross, such a great start to your day!
    @charlotte989875 the wait is the worst! I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you!!

I wore my mouthguard last night for the first time, no headache this AM but I still feel like I slept like shit. I'm sure thats unrelated though.
    I'm force feeding myself some fridge oatmeal, its actually not bad but it looks horrible. 

Other than that, I'm pretty boring this mornin. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Morning, everyone!
    I'm exhausted - was up all last night with stomach cramps.

The good news is, one of my huge deadlines got extended to next Wednesday at 2pm. The bad news is that I also have another huge deadline due next Wednesday at 2pm. 

But I'm also excited it's Prudie Day!
  • Options
    I have had the most restless sleep the last week.  I think it's just b/c it's crunch time w/K's pageant.  But we're in the last sprint and doing well, so I'm feeling confident.  It's just I work hard at work, then come home and stay at that level of focus.  It's getting wearing, i think.

Other than that, SSDD.
  • Options
    @AtomicBlonde damn pets always ruining sleep ;) lmao!

M has interview today, but it's a contract position. Even if it's not permanent {we can't afford him to not work tbh} it will be good interview practice at least.
    He had an appt with someone to help him with cover letter, interviewing, etc etc so once that's done he'll be sending off resumes again. He basically went through all of them that didn't need a cover letter.

I've been link hunting in spare time, and one this morning said "extremely talented software dev" {which is him} and allllll of his credentials! :) Very qualified, so he better send his resume lmao

Usually every 2nd thursday is grocery week, but we're holding off until M can get his brakes done. *sigh* Which might mean groceries done on a weekend - which I hate because people are stupid!
    But it's fine, I'm going through the cupboards to meal plan stuff and make sure we're buying what we need and not a bunch of stuff we don't.
  • Options

Ugh the wait is the worst @charlotte989875!! It's totally appropriate to send a follow up email restating your interest in working there, etc. if you haven't done it already.

@MissKittyDanger I hope he gets it. Even contract work is better than nothing! We can't afford for either one of us to be out of work either, so I totally understand how you feel.

Morning all!

DH left around 8:30 last night. It was a short visit, but much needed. He found out that the company had a project open up in Nashville, so that's likely where he'll end up instead of Columbia. He still could end up in Columbia, though, depending on how big the Nashville project is. Who knows. I LOVE Nashville, but I was kinda hoping for SC, TBH. I wanted to be able to go check a new city out.

Other than that, not much here. I'm PMSing and a little cranky today. My allergies are totally screwed up from this crazy weather. It was 70 yesterday, and today it's in the 40's. Ugh. I don't mind the cold at all, I just wish the weather would make it's mind up.

• Options
    @MissKittyDanger - if M is a software developer he shouldn't have too much trouble finding work. DK manages his company's software team, and he has a hell of a time finding good people. It's very in demand.
  • Options
    @thefanciestbeckler  I'm hoping it's a "contract-to-permanent" position 
  • Options
    @*Barbie* It's pretty in demand right now also, so I'm hoping it won't be long. I've found a few that is completely and totally M :)
  • Options
    I am going to lunch today with a friend. And i need to do the final and paper that I didn't do yesterday. Oops. 

I had a little bit of a breakdown last night when I got super upset about being unemployed. And I was a little irritated at SO because he went out with his coworkers and didn't get home until later. I don't really like when he goes out with them because they party way too hard and it's just not a healthy environment. He's always the first to leave, and they always end up staying out until 1 in the morning, so there's that. 

• Options
    Realizing we may have some bad juju in the house so I've been hunting on feng shui to help reverse it.

I have lucky cat and a mirror to set up. Now to get me some bamboo and other plants ....

Anyone knowledgeable in feng shui or something like that?
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I just got an order with size 8 pants a medium shirt and two medium dresses. They all fit!  (I'm keeping my head in the sand about vanity sizing). 

Our schools are going through a redistricting  and people are losing their shit. I've sat through some meetings and there is a whole lot of "I don't want to go to school with those people". Those people being the pooors (me). I don't want my preshus at the oldest building in the district. Then there's the sports cars. It's all too much. 
  • Options
    I was just in the ladies room that is down the hall from my office and a woman projectile vomited all over the floor. I hope she's okay, but I also hope she's not contagious. 

• Options
    6fsn said:
    I just got an order with size 8 pants a medium shirt and two medium dresses. They all fit!  (I'm keeping my head in the sand about vanity sizing). 

Our schools are going through a redistricting  and people are losing their shit. I've sat through some meetings and there is a whole lot of "I don't want to go to school with those people". Those people being the pooors (me). I don't want my preshus at the oldest building in the district. Then there's the sports cars. It's all too much. 
    How does sports cars even come up in elementary (or even high school) redistricting?!
  • Options
    Realizing we may have some bad juju in the house so I've been hunting on feng shui to help reverse it.

I have lucky cat and a mirror to set up. Now to get me some bamboo and other plants ....

Anyone knowledgeable in feng shui or something like that?

Good luck to M!  Alas, I don't know anything about feng shui.  But I do have one of those cats you see at Chinese restaurants.  He waves his arm to say hi.  I need to get him cranked up again.  I need to add some luck for my job search also, lol.

I've been picky and really haven't applied for anything.  But I came across an ad yesterday that's right up my alley and the BOTTOM of the salary range is what I currently make.  I really shouldn't be excited about just sending my resume, but I need to start somewhere, lol.

I'm also thinking about selling life insurance and am going to do my pre-licensing.  That might be a nice start because I could do it part-time while I still (maybe) have a full-time job.  I'm probably going to do my pre-licensing for my real estate license also.  Because I'm a glutton for punishment and not sure which will be better for me, lol.  Or I might make a swing at both.  As a new RE agent, it could be months before I start getting commissions.

Here is the really, really good news and big sigh of relief.  I double and triple crunched my numbers yesterday.  Now that I have my new duplex rented, I'm going to be fine even if (more like when) I lose my full-time job.  I can more than pay all my bills with just my rental income and p/t IC job income.  And that is even without adding unemployment to my budget, so that would just be a bonus.  I do have a lot of debt I want to conquer first...plus I want to invest in at least another couple duplexes or a 4-plex...before I completely go into just working for myself, but I'm happy to be in a place where I can take my time to find the RIGHT next job.  Not just the ANY next job.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    6fsn said:

How does sports cars even come up in elementary (or even high school) redistricting?!
    That was actually an appropriate auto correct. It was just supposed to be sports. People are sports crazy here. Fact is a lot of the cars at the one high school are sports cars or high end vehicles though. 
  • Options
    What a wonderful way to wake up, @AtomicBlonde. Several years ago, I narrowly avoided stepping on a dead mouse at 3:00 a.m. Middle cat was sitting nearby looking very proud of himself.

Our city's peace action organization is having their annual meeting tonight. I'd really like to go, but my meditation meeting is tonight as well. I'm having trouble making up my mind.

Other than that, another productive day at work. Yay!
  • Options
    @sparklepants41 I hope she's ok too, but being in a public bathroom with someone who is throwing up is literally my worst nightmare. I hope you don't end up catching it!

• Options
    I was just in the ladies room that is down the hall from my office and a woman projectile vomited all over the floor. I hope she's okay, but I also hope she's not contagious. 

yuck. I'm not good with vomit, so yeah, that's awful. 
  • Options
    i'm kind of protesting work right now. i have too much on my plate and i've been telling my bosses for weeks. i don't assign work within my team, but one of my sub jobs is managing the resourcing for our global team - and i have the most insight into my direct team. i know there's people who have jack shit to do while the rest of us are drowning. i literally have 3 FT jobs right now. i haven't even gotten to eat my lunch because of stupid meetings and now it's cold and unappetizing. 

admins are still needlessly harassing me about doing work they could easily do. FFS, i have more important things to do than drop everything to do data entry. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:

yuck. I'm not good with vomit, so yeah, that's awful. 
    I'm not either. It was horrifying.
  • Options
    I cannot imagine going back to one screen @Heffalump.  I feel your pain.  
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    Can we do FWP?

A truck hit our loading dock, and somehow knocked out our power.  (Because where else would you keep an electrical transformer, if not right next to the place where large trucks are constantly backing up all day long?) 

Power is out.  We're running on the backup generator, which means office lights, emergency lights in the hallways and restrooms, and not much else.  Anyone on a desktop instead of a laptop is SOL right now.  No HVAC.  No printers.  Etc.

I'm waiting for them to send us home, but in the meantime, since I'm working on the laptop, I'm down to one screen.  I usually run two.  This is frustrating.  How am I supposed to work with only one screen? #FWP
    I have two screens as well - at my last firm I had three. I cannot get anything done with only one screen, so I feel your pain. 
  • Options
    I have 2 screens at work. I could at home if I actually worked in the office/guest room rather than from the couch or my bed. If i ever get around to it, i'm going to turn our bedroom annex into a nice office/entertainment room. (instead of a monitor, mount a TV and use that (or use it as a 2nd monitor). good for gaming, too. 

• Options
    This is the first job I've had with two monitors.  I don't think I could go back.  I'm "broken" now for future employers, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    Can we do FWP?

A truck hit our loading dock, and somehow knocked out our power.  (Because where else would you keep an electrical transformer, if not right next to the place where large trucks are constantly backing up all day long?) 

Power is out.  We're running on the backup generator, which means office lights, emergency lights in the hallways and restrooms, and not much else.  Anyone on a desktop instead of a laptop is SOL right now.  No HVAC.  No printers.  Etc.

I'm waiting for them to send us home, but in the meantime, since I'm working on the laptop, I'm down to one screen.  I usually run two.  This is frustrating.  How am I supposed to work with only one screen? #FWP
    I have two screens as well - at my last firm I had three. I cannot get anything done with only one screen, so I feel your pain. 
    I thought two screens were a joke until I worked using SO's computer.  Then it was like the clouds lifted and the heavens had been opened, and I felt like an asshole for ever making fun of him. lol