Wedding Woes

Where to get Dressed??

My Fiance and I are flying down to Florida for our wedding. We have a hotel room (where I will do my hair and makeup) and will be getting our wedding licence before the wedding (there is literally no option to do it beforehand) and the venue doesn't have a dressing room of any kind. We need to be dressed and ready to go when we arrive. Does anyone have any idea where I can get dressed? I was thinking a bathroom, if the venue will let me use it. Or I guess the car? It's a simple dress I can get into myself, I just need someone to help with all the buttons in the back.

Re: Where to get Dressed??

• Can you get dressed in the hotel and send your fiancé out to get the license and meet you at the venue? And have someone else drive you if that's also an issue? 
  • My Fiance and I are flying down to Florida for our wedding. We have a hotel room (where I will do my hair and makeup) and will be getting our wedding licence before the wedding (there is literally no option to do it beforehand) and the venue doesn't have a dressing room of any kind. We need to be dressed and ready to go when we arrive. Does anyone have any idea where I can get dressed? I was thinking a bathroom, if the venue will let me use it. Or I guess the car? It's a simple dress I can get into myself, I just need someone to help with all the buttons in the back.
    I'm confused. Why cant you use the hotel room? That seems like a much better option than a bathroom. 

• levioosa said:
    My Fiance and I are flying down to Florida for our wedding. We have a hotel room (where I will do my hair and makeup) and will be getting our wedding licence before the wedding (there is literally no option to do it beforehand) and the venue doesn't have a dressing room of any kind. We need to be dressed and ready to go when we arrive. Does anyone have any idea where I can get dressed? I was thinking a bathroom, if the venue will let me use it. Or I guess the car? It's a simple dress I can get into myself, I just need someone to help with all the buttons in the back.
    I'm confused. Why cant you use the hotel room? That seems like a much better option than a bathroom. 
    My guess is that they are leaving the hotel together so she doesn't want him to see the dress. 
  • I could get dressed in the hotel room, Carlygems is right. We're staying together and if at all possible, I'd prefer for him to not see the dress. His mom will be the only guest, so she might be able to drive one of us to the venue. However, we both have to be present to get the licence in Florida. I mean, we could show up totally dressed at 8 to the courthouse, but I don't know how long we'd have to be nor do I want everyone staring at us lol
  • I could get dressed in the hotel room, Carlygems is right. We're staying together and if at all possible, I'd prefer for him to not see the dress. His mom will be the only guest, so she might be able to drive one of us to the venue. However, we both have to be present to get the licence in Florida. I mean, we could show up totally dressed at 8 to the courthouse, but I don't know how long we'd have to be nor do I want everyone staring at us lol
    What if you get it early enough that you can go back to the hotel and change? I would assume the venue has a bathroom that you can change but no one wants to get changed in a bathroom. 
  • Have you completed a Florida pre-marital course? If not, you can't get the license the day of the ceremony because there is a waiting period. I'm sure you've done your research, just wanted to make sure. 
  • We don't live in Florida, so the waiting period doesn't apply to us. And we've just applied online today, so we'll only have to pop in to show ID and pay then we'll have our licence for the wedding.

Carlygems we could do that, and it wouldn't be much of an issue. Although unless his mom came and picked one of us up, we'd still have the issue of him seeing me. It is a good idea that I hadn't thought of, though.
  • I'd change in the bathroom at the venue if I was you. Nothing wrong with that. 
  • I'd see if you can rent or use an unoccupied hotel room for an hour to get dressed in. That way one person can get dressed in your room, one in the separate room. If you're doing hair and makeup as well as getting dressed in the bathroom this is likely to be a big inconvenience not just to you, but certainly to other guests that also need to use the bathroom. 
  • If the timing works out, I'd either go early so you have time to go back and change, or decide you're going to do a First Look. Have fun with it and take some pictures beforehand.

If neither of the above are options, call your venue and explain the situation. I'm sure they can at the minimum offer you an office or something. I'm assuming you're spending thousands at their establishment. The least they can offer you is a room to change your clothes without pee on the floor. 
    *********************************************************************************

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Go together to get the license.  Go back to the hotel and get ready.  I'm sure the hotel has a room that they would let you use to change.  People love brides who ask nicely.  Use an uber to go separately to the venue.
  • My vote, if the bathroom is roomy and clean enough, to do it at the venue if you are leaving together. 

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If his mom is there, she presumably has a hotel room he can use to get ready and you can use yours.  I like the idea of Uber separately if you don't want him to see you beforehand.  

• I'll be the one to say it - don't read more into the whole seeing each other before the ceremony all dressed up thing.  It'll be a royal PITA to haul the dress to the venue and change there and where are you going to put your street clothes that you wore there, the hanger/travel bag, etc., they're just one more thing than necessary to deal with.  You'll have your "Moment" wherever you decide to get ready.  Get dressed at the hotel, and accept the complements from random people on how wonderful you look on your wedding day and show gratitude to the little 'ole lady you've never met until that moment who slowly and deliberately pulls you aside to wish you well.  
  • Lovely dress!

I think you just need to weigh the pros and cons and figure out which one is best for you.

1.  Have a "first look" before picking up the marriage license;
    2.  If the bathroom is reasonably clean and big, then that's somewhat preferable to a car, IMO;
    3.  Return to your hotel room, and get dressed there.

I'd definitely contact your venue and see what they recommend, they know the space better than anyone.