Chit Chat
Options

What everyone reading right now?

Man, the board have been dead lately! We haven't had one of these in a while that I can find....what is everyone reading right now? I'm finishing up a super light semester and actually have a little time for pleasure reading!! I definitely am one to get completely engrossed in books and like most subjects and genres. The only subject/genre i have a hard time getting into is sci-fi. Do you guys have any suggestions?!?

Re: What everyone reading right now?

• Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    I just finished Bird Box, by Josh Malerman, which I thought was very good.  It was kind of between a thriller and a horror, but I didn't find it unduly terrifying.  I just started The End of Your Life Book Club, by Will Schwalbe, which I am enjoying immensely, and I'm also trying to read The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly, but that's a book I want to be able to get completely lost in and right now my schedule only allows a chapter here and there at a time.

ETA The Schwalbe book is a memoir, and I am getting the impression that the Connolly book is a darkish fantasy.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Rereading "The Insiders" series by J Minter - it's a teen series.

Been holding off on getting new stuff.
  • Options
    I have not heard of any of those, but just looked them up and they all look great!  Thank you!
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited April 2017
    I just went to amazon and typed in Salem witch trial books - fiction and bought 2. One was a YA fiction called "how to hang a witch" but I don't care because just reading the horribly written book puts me back on Salem streets.  Also interesting, the author is 12th generation Mather. 

• Options
    I second Bird Box...  such an unusual, different story.  I finished it in one weekend.  Stayed with me for a while after, too...

If you read it, let us know, and we can discuss (because at least for me, there are some unanswered questions...) :)

I am reading The Glass Castle right now- a memoir from a child growing up in a crazy, nomadic family.  Pretty good so far!
  • Options
    I just finished Bird Box, by Josh Malerman, which I thought was very good.  It was kind of between a thriller and a horror, but I didn't find it unduly terrifying.  I just started The End of Your Life Book Club, by Will Schwalbe, which I am enjoying immensely, and I'm also trying to read The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly, but that's a book I want to be able to get completely lost in and right now my schedule only allows a chapter here and there at a time.

ETA The Schwalbe book is a memoir, and I am getting the impression that the Connolly book is a darkish fantasy.
    I read The End of Your Life Book Club a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Recently I read The Ladies Auxillary, As Close to Us as Breathing, and My Grandmother Said to Tell You She's Sorry. Didn't like the last one too much. I'm currently reading a Harry Bosch mystery.
  • Options
    Just finished the handmaid's tale in time for hulu's new series and started "the secret keeper" by kate morton

• Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    edited April 2017
    @NowIAmSyp, I don't know if I have any unresolved questions, but there was one small part of the book that I wish Malerman had just taken to the next level.  He made it just important enough to dedicate an entire chapter to, but then just let the thread go.  The book is really sticking with me, too.

Also forgot to mention, I'm currently rereading Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy.  Love that book.  Definitely not "light" reading, though.

ETA words

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    @NowIAmSyp, I don't know if I have any unresolved questions, but there was one small part of the book that I wish Malerman had just taken to the next level.  He made it just important enough to dedicate an entire chapter to, but then just let the thread go.  The book is really sticking with me, too.

Also forgot to mention, I'm currently rereading Jude the Obscure, by Thomas Hardy.  Love that book.  Definitely not "light" reading, though.

ETA words
    ah!  I have so many questions.... but I don't want to post anything here in case @Casadena wants to read it...  but we should totally have a mini book club discussion here one day, lol
  • Options

NowIAmSyp said:
    I second Bird Box...  such an unusual, different story.  I finished it in one weekend.  Stayed with me for a while after, too...

If you read it, let us know, and we can discuss (because at least for me, there are some unanswered questions...) :)

I am reading The Glass Castle right now- a memoir from a child growing up in a crazy, nomadic family.  Pretty good so far!

I loved the Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. She has written two other books that I also like called Half Broke Horses (about her grandmother) and The Silver Star. I saw her speak when I was in college and she is a fascinating woman.
  • Options
    Knot1 said:

NowIAmSyp said:

I loved the Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. She has written two other books that I also like called Half Broke Horses (about her grandmother) and The Silver Star. I saw her speak when I was in college and she is a fascinating woman.

Glass Castle was phenomenal!  Such an interesting look into an odd (to me) lifestyle and worldview.  

These all seem like great suggestions, keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    I'm reading this YA series my friend gave me- The Lunar Chronicles. It's various female centered fairy tales morphed into a furturistic sci-fi story. Took me awhile to get into it, but it's not bad. There are 5 books total. Light and fluffy.

Once we get moved I'll get back into some more of my novels waiting for me. I want to read (as well as watch) The Light Between Oceans.
  • Options
    Knot1 said:

NowIAmSyp said:

I've read all three of those books and enjoyed them all.
  • Options

SP29 said:
    I'm reading this YA series my friend gave me- The Lunar Chronicles. It's various female centered fairy tales morphed into a furturistic sci-fi story. Took me awhile to get into it, but it's not bad. There are 5 books total. Light and fluffy.

Once we get moved I'll get back into some more of my novels waiting for me. I want to read (as well as watch) The Light Between Oceans.
    Awesome book! I haven't seen the movie but want to.
  • Options
    lnixon8 said:
    Just finished the handmaid's tale in time for hulu's new series and started "the secret keeper" by kate morton
    The Handmaid's Tale is brilliant. Atwood is one of my favorite authors. I've read of all Kate Morton's books and The Secret Keeper was definitely my favorite! 

I've been reading Bruce Springsteen's autobiography forever because it's a huge hardcover that I can't carry around with me. It's fantastic, though. 

I'm also reading a gothic novel called Secrets in the Mist by Anna Lee Huber. 
  • Options
    I'm reading a novel called "The Futures," and it's pretty good. It's lighthearted and entertaining, and an easy read. 

Next on this list is "Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in Mumbai." It's nonfiction and it's all about the brutal poverty in India. It's supposed to be a sad, but eye-opening book. I'm excited to read it!
  • Options
    Just finished a newer Sophie Kinsella - My Not so Perfect Life.  Not bad, an easy read, which I needed.  Currently on One Less Problem without You by Beth Harbison.  I'm in the need of easy chick lit at the moment.  Haven't gotten too far into this one  

• Options
    I just finished re-reading The Lord of the Rings, but am still working my through the appendices.

I also just finished reading Together on Top of the World, an autobiography by a couple who climbed the Seven Summits together. It was a cool read about their adventures. 
  • Options
    I'm reading "Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow.
  • Options
    I'm supposed to be reading "Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" by Jane Mayer for my book club, but I don't know if it will happen. Instead I'm reading "Rodale's Basic Organic Gardening" on my own and "The Spirituality of Imperfection: Modern Wisdom from Classic Stories" by Ernest Kurtz and Katharine Ketcham with my sponsor.