Attire and Accessories

Alterations???

So as the time ticks down. I am starting to panic.  I have my dress already. But I have lost over 50lbs since i bought. Which guarantees it will not fit. However David's Bridal will do a size exchange 1 time for free so that is not a concern. But I know that it will need a hem a bustle and probably some adjustment in the bust area. 
Because i have heard so many horror stories about Davids alterations. I am really freaking out trying to find someone else to do these things to my dress.  I am apprehensive about an outside seamstress because this is my WEDDING DRESS! They mess it up I am screwed. 

I have attached a picture of me in the dress. Keep in mind that was when i was 50lbs heavier.  Its so beautiful and has lots of lacy detail. This is stressing me out big time.  

All the things for the wedding this is what weighs very heavily on my mind night and day for like the last 2 wks. (Because i have to take dress very soon to get size exchange to have back in time for alterations.)

Re: Alterations???

  • I didn't use David's Bridal for my dress, but I did have the experience of taking my dress to a seamstress outside of the shop where I purchased it. (My shop didn't have an in-house seamstress so it wasn't an option.) I found my seamstress through the recommendation of other brides who had used her services, which made me feel confident that she had the ability to do high quality work.  

    I'd start asking around to those you know who have had formal wear or wedding dresses altered. Get some recommendations. As with any other vendor, I think its okay to ask your top choices for some preliminary information, such as approximately how long standard alterations will take, price range, how many opportunities you will have to check fit, etc. It may be harder to have a consultation until your gown is in, but you can always ask if that is a possibility.   
    image
    Anniversary


  • Jaime6166 said:
    So as the time ticks down. I am starting to panic.  I have my dress already. But I have lost over 50lbs since i bought. Which guarantees it will not fit. However David's Bridal will do a size exchange 1 time for free so that is not a concern. But I know that it will need a hem a bustle and probably some adjustment in the bust area. 
    Because i have heard so many horror stories about Davids alterations. I am really freaking out trying to find someone else to do these things to my dress.  I am apprehensive about an outside seamstress because this is my WEDDING DRESS! They mess it up I am screwed. 

    I have attached a picture of me in the dress. Keep in mind that was when i was 50lbs heavier.  Its so beautiful and has lots of lacy detail. This is stressing me out big time.  

    All the things for the wedding this is what weighs very heavily on my mind night and day for like the last 2 wks. (Because i have to take dress very soon to get size exchange to have back in time for alterations.)
    First, your dress is gorgeous! 

    Next, you have it with you right; have you put it on recently? If it's too big I would recommend the size exchange rather than trying to alter it down if you're going down by more than one size. If you're wary about using David's I would research local seamstresses and read reviews. Meet with anyone before you commit to having them alter your dress and make sure you're comfortable with what they recommend. 
    cowgirl8238
  • I have a couple of options that I have looked into word of mouth wise. They are good price wise. They have seen me in the dress in person and feel confident. However I am not confident hence why i haven't decided yet. Wedding is in October. In order for a size exchange to be done it needs to be done here in June so they can have back before start of alterations. Which would be like mid july august sept i guess. 

    The whole process freaks me out seriously. I don't have a lot of money or a large budget for alterations and such. Hence why i have gone so far to lose alot of weight to improve the appearance of the dress. Plus save on having to take it in too much. 

    Call me crazy or whatever i should've ordered a smaller size then. But i had no idea how much weight i was going to lose. I have always struggled with the weight. I have 2 outside seamstresses. One is a really close's friends wife, and the other is a local seamstress/tailor. Both come with great reviews and have done wedding dresses. I just worry because of all of that lace. 
  • Jaime6166 said:
    I have a couple of options that I have looked into word of mouth wise. They are good price wise. They have seen me in the dress in person and feel confident. However I am not confident hence why i haven't decided yet. Wedding is in October. In order for a size exchange to be done it needs to be done here in June so they can have back before start of alterations. Which would be like mid july august sept i guess. 

    The whole process freaks me out seriously. I don't have a lot of money or a large budget for alterations and such. Hence why i have gone so far to lose alot of weight to improve the appearance of the dress. Plus save on having to take it in too much. 

    Call me crazy or whatever i should've ordered a smaller size then. But i had no idea how much weight i was going to lose. I have always struggled with the weight. I have 2 outside seamstresses. One is a really close's friends wife, and the other is a local seamstress/tailor. Both come with great reviews and have done wedding dresses. I just worry because of all of that lace. 
    Altering a dress down a size (or more) especially with significant lace, will be much more difficult than adding a bustle, hemming, and small adjustments here or there, which is why you want to order the proper size. If you've lost a substantial amount of weight that is making it so that you need a different dress size I would recommend exchanging it; what's your hesitation about exchanging it for a smaller size? I assume you don't have to use David's Bridal if you exchange the dress. I get that you didn't know how much weight you would lose (and thus couldn't order a smaller size), but why not exchange for the smaller size now?

    I had an all lace dress, and used a seamstress recommended by my dress shop. If both of the streamstresses have worked with lace, and both have great reviews, I'm not sure what your question is. No dress is going to fit perfectly without any alteration, so unless you want to go without a bustle or hem you're going to have to find someone you can trust with your dress. A professional is just that, a professional. The likelihood that something goes so incredibly wrong that they ruin your irrevocably is so small. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing Alaska member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    Jaime6166 said:
    I have a couple of options that I have looked into word of mouth wise. They are good price wise. They have seen me in the dress in person and feel confident. However I am not confident hence why i haven't decided yet. Wedding is in October. In order for a size exchange to be done it needs to be done here in June so they can have back before start of alterations. Which would be like mid july august sept i guess. 

    The whole process freaks me out seriously. I don't have a lot of money or a large budget for alterations and such. Hence why i have gone so far to lose alot of weight to improve the appearance of the dress. Plus save on having to take it in too much. 

    Call me crazy or whatever i should've ordered a smaller size then. But i had no idea how much weight i was going to lose. I have always struggled with the weight. I have 2 outside seamstresses. One is a really close's friends wife, and the other is a local seamstress/tailor. Both come with great reviews and have done wedding dresses. I just worry because of all of that lace. 
    I agree with the others who said choose one based on recommendations. You already have a couple so just pick one. 

    The bolded confuses me so much. The dress in the photo looks like it fits you really well. Good for you for losing the weight, but I don't understand why you thought losing weight would save you money in alterations. If you kept the same dress, you'd have more money into alterations because it would need to be shrunk more. And I doubt any size you exchange it for is going to fit you better pre-alterations that the size in the photo fit you pre-weight loss. 

    charlotte989875CMGragain
  • The biggest cost in alterations will be the hem.  This doesn't change with weight loss.  You might consider different size heels to wear.  That will make a difference in the hem adjustment.
    You look beautiful in that dress!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    Jaime6166
  • I bought a lace dress from David's and used an outside dressmaker for alterations. Find out exactly when you need to make a decision about a size exchange. If you can comfortably fit into a size smaller (at whatever weight you are at that point), exchange the dress and then get the minor alterations done by a seamstress of your choice. Go with someone that is recommended.
  • I spent a lot of time on yelp and facebook asking for and reading reviews.  I wouldn't go meet with anyone who charged for a consult and I ended up meeting with a seamstress I really liked who I am comfortable having do the work for my dress.  She had the most positive reviews on yelp and was recommended by two people in the wedding group on facebook.  While I was there, right after open, the shop filled up very quickly with people with various kinds of alterations they needed... lots of repeat customers.  Really helped me feel more comfortable.  I agree with others that a size exchange makes the most sense to start, the less work they have to do the cheaper it will be for you.
    ei34cowgirl8238
  • Sorry I made this confusing. I bought the dress because it looked perfect on me as you can see from the pics. Just a few issues in the bust area that's it.  Then the fears of my own weight and standing in front of family and friends kicked in. So I started a diet and exercise lost 50 lbs and still going down. 

    That is what I am afraid of do a size exchange too soon and still lose more. Worst part get too small that wouldn't fit just in case of more weight loss and then i didn't lose any more. I can take by the end of this month or next and determine at that point size exchange to have back in time. 

    I have just heard so many horror stories about David's Bridal and alterations I am just very weary about this whole process. It makes me nervous, and trust me i have lost sleep over this. Nightmares included. 


  • @lovesclimbing 

    The reason i felt that losing the weight would help... Because the bust didnt fit right at all. It was smooshing the girls if you catch my drift. So that would have to be let out. But weight loss well that could make things fit the way they should.  Plus i would need less to suck me in to wear under the dress. 

    As it stood they didn't think they could let it out enough for my boobs to fit. Because of that issue its almost better to have slightly bigger and taken in the middle.  But because of my struggle never expected to drop this much weight this fast. 

    I haven't had the dress on since that day. I do not know how loose it is etc. So I am going to my mom's to pick it up and try it on. Then go to a couple seamstresses to see if they are confident to handle the alterations. 

    I will not lie but this whole part of this process makes me crazy. Finding the dress and everything else was way way easier. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing Alaska member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    Jaime6166 said:
    @lovesclimbing 

    The reason i felt that losing the weight would help... Because the bust didnt fit right at all. It was smooshing the girls if you catch my drift. So that would have to be let out. But weight loss well that could make things fit the way they should.  Plus i would need less to suck me in to wear under the dress. 

    As it stood they didn't think they could let it out enough for my boobs to fit. Because of that issue its almost better to have slightly bigger and taken in the middle.  But because of my struggle never expected to drop this much weight this fast. 

    I haven't had the dress on since that day. I do not know how loose it is etc. So I am going to my mom's to pick it up and try it on. Then go to a couple seamstresses to see if they are confident to handle the alterations. 

    I will not lie but this whole part of this process makes me crazy. Finding the dress and everything else was way way easier. 
    Ok. Definitely try it on again and see how it fits. You can't alter the dress yourself (I assume) so you're just going to have to trust a seamstress. If you have recommendations from friends and have heard good reviews, you're just going to have to make yourself calm down and trust that your dress is in good hands. Take the dress to a seamstress and see if she'll give you a quote. If the worst happens, you can buy a dress off the rack and still get married. It won't be the end of the world. 

    I'm genuinely saying this to try to help lurkers in the future and not to make you feel bad, but it's a good idea to have an idea of what alterations could cost and build that into the dress budget (or buy a cheaper dress) so you're not stressed about that cost. 

  • @lovesclimbing

    I appreciate the info. I do have a decent budget for alterations really do. But NOT for David's to charge me twice of what i paid for the dress itself. That is ridiculous. That's why I am a spaz because i do not want to be forced to using David's to do it. I feel for alterations plus the accessories for the dress (slip, bra, garter, etc) should be at my $650 that I have for this or less.  So that is my concern they quoted me roughly when i bought the dress almost twice that for alterations on my dress. 
  • First - do the size exchange and get the dress as close to properly fitting as you can and post a new picture.  You did the SMART thing in ordering for the size you were then - it's a million times easier to take a dress IN than it is to try to let it out had you purchased it someplace that didn't have that policy in place.  We've had plenty of brides come here and say "Help!  I'm still 3 sizes larger than the dress I purchased a year ago thinking I'd drop weight!", your challenge is an easy one to work with and I really don't see a problem altering with that lace, it's not an overly complex beaded design custom sewn into the fabric (I have a pageant dress from years ago that is, the alterations were an extreme challenge!)

    Next, it is your call on who you want to do the alterations.  I have had alterations done many times at my local David's and been happy with the work done in relation to the price for the work done.  The one thing to consider is that David's Staff is specifically trained on altering David's line of dresses.  Price it out in the shop, you CAN decide you do not want them to touch it after getting the quote and determining your confidence level in their work versus one of the other options.  Remember no matter where you take it, alterations is a process, a nip here and a tuck there will change it so sometimes it needs multiple trips with the final being the steaming out of everything for the big day.  Alterations are also one of those "it's your call" type things.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jaime6166 said:
    @lovesclimbing

    I appreciate the info. I do have a decent budget for alterations really do. But NOT for David's to charge me twice of what i paid for the dress itself. That is ridiculous. That's why I am a spaz because i do not want to be forced to using David's to do it. I feel for alterations plus the accessories for the dress (slip, bra, garter, etc) should be at my $650 that I have for this or less.  So that is my concern they quoted me roughly when i bought the dress almost twice that for alterations on my dress. 
    Just FYI - this is why we tell brides before going shopping for their dress to "Half your budget" because it is NOT unusual anywhere you would go to double the cost of the dress because of the alterations.  That's not a limited to David's thing...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Australian_girl_in_ParisOurWildKingdom
  • Right but i only have $650 to do what needs to be done to this dress. As well as things needed to be purchased for the dress. There will not be any extra. I only paid $300 for the dress itself.  Which to me was reasonable. I feel that with that amount alterations and everything should be achievable. 
  • Jaime6166 said:
    Right but i only have $650 to do what needs to be done to this dress. As well as things needed to be purchased for the dress. There will not be any extra. I only paid $300 for the dress itself.  Which to me was reasonable. I feel that with that amount alterations and everything should be achievable. 
    I think that is incredibly inexpensive for a dress, good for you! As for alterations pricing; depending on what you need them to do you very well could pay more for alterations that you did for the dress. Altering clothing, especially lace, is intricate, time-consuming work. I had a fully lace dress that needed some minor sizing adjustments, added a crinoline and a bustle (no hems or major adjustments) and it was around $400 (in a small-medium US city). Independent seamstresses may not be as expensive as David's, but I wouldn't expect it to be substantially cheaper. 

    $650 is a reasonable budget, but if you need major changes you might need to budget more for alterations and work to borrow/search for sales on your other accessories that are coming out of that balance. 
    OurWildKingdom
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing Alaska member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    Jaime6166 said:
    @lovesclimbing

    I appreciate the info. I do have a decent budget for alterations really do. But NOT for David's to charge me twice of what i paid for the dress itself. That is ridiculous. That's why I am a spaz because i do not want to be forced to using David's to do it. I feel for alterations plus the accessories for the dress (slip, bra, garter, etc) should be at my $650 that I have for this or less.  So that is my concern they quoted me roughly when i bought the dress almost twice that for alterations on my dress. 
    I've heard mixed reviews of David's alterations so I wouldn't be keen on using them either. That does sound like a good budget for alterations, your previous post just seemed to indicate you didn't think it was enough. 

    Get a quote from another seamstress. 

  • Firstly OMG 50lb!!!! That's amazing!! Good on you! I've lost 25lb so far no motivation like a wedding! 

    So I think many have given you the advice that I would - but I wanted to add that you should always count more for alterations than you first think. Alterations are more complicated than making the original dress. They're small and fiddly. 

    I work in fashion and am a trained coturé. Generally, when ordering a dress like this - the sales assistant will measure you and then order based on your biggest measurement. So if your bust or hips are bigger than your other measurements then they order the size closest (not sure I'm being clear) That way they can take in the other areas to fit it to your body. 
    I'm telling you this so you can think about whether to change the size or not.
    If you're anything like me you'll have lost more in one area than others - I carry most of my weight in my hips - and even though I've lost a bunch of weight my measurement there actually not that different. (I've lost all my bust :( )

    So if I was you I'd look to see what my measurements were now. Is it possible that you might end up still needing the same size? If so then stick with the same. If not then it's worth going down a size. You can generally get sizing from websites. 
    I say this because if you do need to take in a dress more than one size it can change the shape. - Or it could effect the lace.

    I think you should look at what work needs to be done - if it's more than one size then the alterations could cost more and it's worth changing the size.


    Secondly, I think you should take the dress to your friend's girlfriend who had good reviews. She's going to have a vested interest in gooding good work and not over charging you. But I'd also go and see the other to get a comparison. Alterations can take time - So If you do end up needing to change the size - I'd make sure you doing it sooner rather than later. Normally a seamstress will do an initial fitting, then you come back to try on the dress and make sure everything is ok. If you had lot more weight then she could alter it again. You should then go back for a final fitting about  2-4 weeks before the wedding itself. If at this time you need more work done its possible but generally at a cost. If its rushed i.e. taking in the dress a lot again then expect to pay again.

    I know you can't know how much weight you will lose between now and then - but I'd suggest that once you've started the alterations process to try to maintain the same size. If you want to keep the alterations budget down I'd try to not have any last minute changes - if that's possible

    I know this is a really long post but I thought it might be helpful to have more information
    :smile:  
    lovesclimbing
  • Thank You So much @Australian_girl_in_Paris !  
    Yes 50lbs is a lot which is why the alterations process stresses me out. 

    You have given me very good advice every one has.  I am going to try to get out to my sisters where the dress is being stored right now. (keeping my fiance's prying eyes far away lol) I want to try it on again see where i am at, because you are right losing weight doesn't just come off in one spot.  My goal is hopefully my bust shrunk enough to where the dress fits appropriately in that area. (it was a little snug even being my size.)

    I have just been so afraid to try it on again. (my own inner demons + plus weight loss)   We shall see where we are if it is way too loose everywhere i will take for a size exchange then to the seamstress recommended by a friend. 

    Thank you all again for all of your advice. 
    Australian_girl_in_Paris
  • Oh!! I'm glad it was helpful.

    I'd be interested to know how the re-try on went!
    I'm crossing my fingers for you!
    MesmrEwe
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards