Registry and Gift Forum

Parent Gifts: Would you think this is cute or no?

FI & I are taking the advice of many of you and giving our parents professional photos and albums for their thank you gifts. We didn't want to hold off on a physical gift altogether, though (one of our parents in particular is quite likely to say something about us forgetting about them or putting them off).

We were thinking of getting very nice frames and putting "IOU" on paper where the picture would go.

Would you think it was cute, knowing you'd get professional pictures after the wedding? Or would that be side-eye-worthy?

Re: Parent Gifts: Would you think this is cute or no?

• edited April 2017
    I think that's a sweet idea! I'm planning to do the same.

ETA: Does one of you know desktop publishing? You can make something nice without too much trouble. Or if you have nice handwriting, go ahead and write it.
  • I think that is a fine idea. Another thing you could do is put a picture of you with your parents in the frame and write a note telling them you will replace it with a professional photo.

• FI & I are taking the advice of many of you and giving our parents professional photos and albums for their thank you gifts. We didn't want to hold off on a physical gift altogether, though (one of our parents in particular is quite likely to say something about us forgetting about them or putting them off).

We were thinking of getting very nice frames and putting "IOU" on paper where the picture would go.

Would you think it was cute, knowing you'd get professional pictures after the wedding? Or would that be side-eye-worthy?

For both DD's and DS's weddings, we received cards during the rehearsal dinner.  The messages were heartfelt and sincere.  Each spoke of future gifts involving pictures from their wedding.  That was more than enough for me.  Frankly, the card in and of itself was enough of a gift.  Your idea of gifting frames ahead of time is lovely.

I am sorry that one of you has a parent that is so selfish and immature, let alone entitled.  These gifts are certainly not required, nor should they be expected.
  • We gave our moms two frames, one with a pic of us and our mom as children and one engagement photo. We told them if they wanted an "upgrade" to a wedding photo, we would have a print made for them. We also plan to give our parents photo albums once we get our pictures back from the photographer.
  • Could you write a heartfelt note and put it where you would put the picture instead? So its a framed note that is replaced when you get the professional photos?
  • Thank you, everyone! I think we're going to go frame shopping this weekend. :)

justsie said:

Could you write a heartfelt note and put it where you would put the picture instead? So its a framed note that is replaced when you get the professional photos?

We're going to be writing them notes as well, but I'd feel uncomfortable framing them. In my family, we tend to keep those things private (so a frame would be weird), but FI's parents would probably show it off to all of his family if we put it in a display (which they're obviously free to do, but I'd feel weird normalizing that).