Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Getting ready snacks

We're having about 20 people  (bridal party and close family) getting ready before out 5:30 ceremony. The photographer has told us we need to have hair and make up done by 1:30 (which is excessive to me, so we're aiming for 2). So we're having lunch catered by the venue, as well as tea, coffee, water and champagne for the whole afternoon. 

We.have to provide snacks, though, since lunch is as noon and cocktail hour is as 6. What would you suggest? I'd like something easy, that's not likely to create any stains, and that I could pull off on a $30-50 budget. I'm also not sure whether or not I'll have a fridge available in the hotel to keep it overnight, so I feel like my go-to (cheeses and crackers and fruit) is out) unless FI goes out that morning for us.

Re: Getting ready snacks

• My mom went out the morning of and picked up cheese & crackers, fruit and a sandwich/wrap tray (our timeline was similar to yours).

But we also had pretzels, chips, gummy bears, hummus, dried fruit, nuts-- cashews & almonds (no one had allergies); things that would be filling but not messy and we didn't need to store. We had a fridge but that was filled with champagne and orange juice. 
  • Since you don't for sure have a fridge, I wouldn't have cheese. 

I'd go with apples, bananas, pretzels, and nuts/trail mix. For drinks, I'd stick with bottled water and la croix - basically clear liquids. That is plenty for a well hosted afternoon snack. 

Have club soda, a tide pen and shout wipes on hand to help mitigate stain mishaps. 

*********************************************************************************

• Do healthy, filling snacks that aren't too salty/fatty to avoid bloat and also that don't drip or stain: unsalted almonds, cheese strings, apple slices, raisins, carrot sticks, celery (things that keep you full but won't spike your blood sugar). 

Avoid hummus, peanut butter or things that can 'drip' (any dips/ runny cheeses etc).

• Do healthy, filling snacks that aren't too salty/fatty to avoid bloat and also that don't drip or stain: unsalted almonds, cheese strings, apple slices, raisins, carrot sticks, celery (things that keep you full but won't spike your blood sugar). 

Avoid hummus, peanut butter or things that can 'drip' (any dips/ runny cheeses etc).

All good ideas, and I might add granola bars as well.
  • we had grapes and pretzels and bananas and granola bars.  I think it's awesome to host some snacks but theres no need to go overboard - i dont' know a lot of people who can't handle eating lunch at noon and then dinner at a reasonable time.  The other things PPs have mentioned are plenty!
  • Thank you! This is very helpful!

I'm going to pick up some granola bars, bananas, apples and nuts today. We don't have to worry about allergies, and I think that should be enough for everyone to have something. I have one or two who won't eat carbs, but the fruit and nuts should work for them (I hope?).
  • I am planning to get a close family gathering before our ceremony too and its kind of giving me trouble since i cant decide what to serve for this gathering(family likes to have plenty of dish on the table). Appreciate the suggestions.

• I am planning to get a close family gathering before our ceremony too and its kind of giving me trouble since i cant decide what to serve for this gathering(family likes to have plenty of dish on the table). Appreciate the suggestions.

How many people are "close"? And how long will this take? You will be busy on your wedding day. I would try not to worry about this as much as the actual reception and instead do panera or subway- nothing that you have to prepare ahead of time, and dont eat something that will stain your dress. Plenty of dishes on the table is fine for Thanksgiving but this isn't a typical holiday and your family will survive.

• I am thinking of having something different for our family gath, i would like to serve Asian food, what kind of food that's easy enough to eat and simple too?

• I am thinking of having something different for our family gath, i would like to serve Asian food, what kind of food that's easy enough to eat and simple too?

Hi Knottie#s - you may want to start a new discussion with details about your event and your question. That way, people can focus on your question and better help you. Go to the main Food and Cakes board and click the button that says "New Discussion."
    *********************************************************************************

• lnixon8 said:

I am planning to get a close family gathering before our ceremony too and its kind of giving me trouble since i cant decide what to serve for this gathering(family likes to have plenty of dish on the table). Appreciate the suggestions.

How many people are "close"? And how long will this take? You will be busy on your wedding day. I would try not to worry about this as much as the actual reception and instead do panera or subway- nothing that you have to prepare ahead of time, and dont eat something that will stain your dress. Plenty of dishes on the table is fine for Thanksgiving but this isn't a typical holiday and your family will survive.

Only close friends and family of about 20-30 will be there for, I know its going to be hectic on that day so I am thinking of having just ordering finger food. Appreciate the suggestion.