Wedding Woes

Geez...Nurses and Doctors Are Different Jobs

I am a nurse who is male. Not a male nurse (that term is considered offensive). I have been married for over a year. When we were dating I got the feeling my now wife wasn’t too thrilled with my job choice. She teased me about it, saying things like how I must really have wanted to be a doctor but didn’t have the brains. I talked to her about it. I told her that I never wanted to be “more than” a nurse, and to be able to take care of people had been my dream for years. Medicine is too hands-off for me, and I never even thought of that route. She apologized and said she understood, and the comments stopped. She even seemed to appreciate what I did. Now that we are married the comments are starting again. Last night she was on her laptop and called me over. She pointed out an APN program at a local college and said, “If you can’t be a doctor, you can at least be better than an RN.” I told her that I had no interest in an advanced degree. APNs take on a physician’s role, which is not what I want, or work in administration, which is also not what I want. All I want is to be a bedside nurse, taking care of people to the best of my ability.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Geez...Nurses and Doctors Are Different Jobs

• Wife is out of line, and pretty insulting. I think LW needs to have a clear conversation with no room for ambiguity that the discussion is closed. 

All of this.  Way to send a message to your spouse that you don't think he's enough.   

• I don't know how early on in the relationship the "you would have been a doctor, but must not have had the brains" teasing comment happened.  But that would have been a deal breaker for me early on and a very serious concern/possible deal breaker (which it sounds like it was), if it was already a pretty committed relationship.

This.  Exactly this.  I don't consider that teasing.  At all.  And the fact that it continued before the wedding, and is now starting again... It's not teasing, and it's not being supportive.  I wouldn't have let the first comment stand, let alone pursue a relationship with someone who continued to belittle me.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• My mom has been a nurse for 30+ years, even got her nurse practitioner license. She says she became a nurse because they help people stay healthy where a doctor only gets people unsick.
  • I used to get asked if I wanted to be a nurse like my mother, and I would tell people "God no, I would rather be a doctor, they do way less work". 

Nurses are amazing. In most times when you have a loved one in hospital for any period of time, it is the nurses you get to know very well and who do all the work.  LW's wife needs to understand exactly what her husband does. She has an outmoded idea or is just damn disrespectful.
  • My granny is a nurse and many nurses are more "hands-on" than doctors {depending on what type of nurse tbh} Mainly because they have more ability to.
    Also clearly the wife has ZERO idea what he does as a job, nor does she appreciate what he does.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    This makes me think of "Meet the Parents."  The wife is a brat.